cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone tried "sea bands" for VR sickness?

agenttoff
Heroic Explorer
I've been getting these massive headaches followed by nausea whenever I play video games. I'm not even talking VR, just your standard pc, xbox, or ps4 game, but I've been anticipating the Rift from the very beginning. I've been waiting for VR since I was a kid, thanks to things like the "Amazing" video from Aerosmith, and the movie Brainscan. So despite the fact that I will vomit profusely, I'm going to have to buy one.

Having said that, I've been looking into ways to minimize the nausea. Wondering if anyone here has tried or had success with "sea bands." Seems they're recommended by MD's left and right, but obviously in today's world where everyone's paid for their endorsements, that's not really saying much.
9 REPLIES 9

Diddde
Explorer
I have tried it and it helps but not 100%, more like 50%, with it on i can go on playing but if i try without it i get really sick and cant play for long

agenttoff
Heroic Explorer
"Diddde" wrote:
I have tried it and it helps but not 100%, more like 50%, with it on i can go on playing but if i try without it i get really sick and cant play for long

Well that's actually pretty promising. Do you still feel okay after you've finished playing if you take it off?

Diddde
Explorer
I dont feel sick after i take the rift off, you can just push a little harder on the seabands spots and the sicknes feeling goes almost 100% away, but you do feel the sicknes but not in a way that it makes you dont whant to play anymore, might be hard to explain, but for your question there the seabands do help me alot, without them i cant play at all. Hope you understand me even dough my english is bad :?

Myrskalle
Protege
Sea bands does not work. Something that actually works against nausea is ginger. When I was fooling around in Half Life 2 VR I just shredded some fresh ginger root, plopped it down in boiling water and sipped it while playing like a normal tea. Works like a charm and actually has science to back it up, unlike the scam that is sea bands.

agenttoff
Heroic Explorer
"Diddde" wrote:
I dont feel sick after i take the rift off, you can just push a little harder on the seabands spots and the sicknes feeling goes almost 100% away, but you do feel the sicknes but not in a way that it makes you dont whant to play anymore, might be hard to explain, but for your question there the seabands do help me alot, without them i cant play at all. Hope you understand me even dough my english is bad :?

Thanks, I do understand, I'll have to give it a try. Hopefully it'll help some.

"Myrskalle" wrote:
Sea bands does not work. Something that actually works against nausea is ginger. When I was fooling around in Half Life 2 VR I just shredded some fresh ginger root, plopped it down in boiling water and sipped it while playing like a normal tea. Works like a charm and actually has science to back it up, unlike the scam that is sea bands.

Yeah, ginger is well known to help with nausea, problem is, I'm not able to take ginger, nor any other herbs/roots/supplements due to health probs... which is why I was hoping the band would help. It's a bit gimmicky, but I wouldn't say it's a scam. It just presses on a pressure point known to help with nausea. I wouldn't group it with the likes of say magnet therapy.

There's also this http://www.amazon.com/NEW-ReliefBand-Mo ... merReviews which is supposed to work on the same principle of the $10 bands, but rather than apply pressure it sends a current through you.
Probably similar if not the same as a TENS unit... which I've tried and not liked, because it made my heart feel twitchy.

I'm open to try different things though.

agenttoff
Heroic Explorer
Also wanted to share this link I just found http://blog.naturesgatetens.com/post/10 ... e-to-treat

I have a cheapy tens unit that I bought for about $20, so I may be giving this a try.

Diddde
Explorer
Well if some think seabands are a scam thats up to them, i really dont care what the think, becouse the work for me and thats all thats matters:-)

HiThere_
Superstar
Bumping up this 5 months old thread, to say my experience is the same as Diddde's.

I just tried sea bands while using gamepad thumbsticks to strafe and rotate in first person, and it went straight from quickly unbearable (cold sweat and queasy) to simply uncomfortable (feeling weird and slightly off, but not sick).

Usually I would have to lie down right after that, and instead I was able to type this message right away.

And that's despite using the sea bands after checking and experimenting VR sickness, when the right way to use sea bands is to start wearing them before starting to experiment VR sickness.

So if anything in some cases (like mine), they do make an instant and very noticeable difference.

PS : If you need a big enough size, make sure you choose an adult size instead of a standard or children size.

xWandererx
Heroic Explorer
I use elastic bands they come free with my meds:)