cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I change my Real name on my account

Star-lizard
Rising Star
Hi Everybody, New here I haven't had a chance to setup my rift yet as I'm on vacation. When I made this account I allowed my phone to auto fill in the fields. Unfortunately the real name part is incorrect and I don't see a way to fix it. 
 Second question, can I install rift software and games on my D drive as my C ssd is nearly full
Thanks 
43 REPLIES 43

matskatsaba
Adventurer
What baffles me most is the fact that he/she's coming back to rant about a problem that can be actually solved (and was advised in this topic BEFORE trying to make a semi-existing "problem" into a PC issue). Let's put the fact aside, that it's a bit unreasonable to expect changes on an account the owner deleted for whatever reasons. (I assume it's deleted since he/she claimed to have parted with oculus completely.)

Dear Kupiakos,
If the problem is, that you can't change your name, I understand, but it's not true.
What you're describing is NOT the problem that you can't change your name (because you can, with a known "trick"), but rather the fact, that you can not change your name in a way you want to, but with another way, which is -sorry to be honest- a bit childish.
Yeah ok, this way you can get triggered in a seemingly legit way, but the keyword is `seemingly`.

Anyway, congrats on being so ridiculous that made me post on this forum again after 3-4 years of silence (stopped posting after I jumped ship).

PS.
 I am extremely glad that the greatest problem in your life is this minor, most of the trans people I knew have/had greater (and actual) problems, that even led to suicide in many cases, including my childhood friend, a tragedy I still can't get  over to this day.

@cybereality
Could you please just lock this post and make a sticky on how to change facebook name and how to link an oculus account with it? This parade is kind of silly.
@Richooal
"I don't mean to be insensitive, because these days we all have to be caring, sharing beings who understand everyone's problems." <----That was sooo spot-on you should get an award for it.

DevClever1
Explorer
@DevClever1 If this can be done online instead of in the app, that would be preferred (I run Linux full-time now). I might try deleting my account instead though.

You could always download the app, login, go to settings temporarily pair with fb, then delete the app.

mpspenguin
Honored Guest

Richooal said:

Kupiakos said:

Wow, it's....pretty clear you're straight and cisgender.

Yeah, okay, you got that right, but I had to google the millennial's term "cisgender". Sorry for being in the majority for once.

Kupiakos said:

Drastically changing the name you go by is not something you do casually.

You seem to think that you need a special attention level because of being transgender. Don't forget that the issue you have is not being able to change your "real name" with your Oculus account.
This is not unique, larger bodies of people change their names. Females get married and change their name. Adopted children sometimes change their name, the list goes on. Does this mean that Oculus don't care about married females or about adopted people? You're a drama queen or king.

Also, you don't need to attach a new age, millennial label to me. I am a male, no need for "cisgender".
Please don't wait another 12 months to reply, the suspense would kill me.

What spurred this then, as a well-adjusted Male with no need for drama? Why are you making statements online about other people's identities?

Cisgender literally goes back to Latin. It is not a new term, it's just that it went out of fashion. I'm sorry if you don't like labels but neither do lots of trans people, and it's merely a descriptor- no different than stating someone is trans. Trans people can be male. You're not superior for being lucky enough to have been born in a body that matches your gender.

I'm not trying to start a comment war and I'm not interested in arguing back and forth trying to outwit each other- because come on, we're both adults, there's no need to waste each other's time like that. But I honestly think that you'd do well to consider the motivation behind your actions. Ego and prejudice can be very tricky enemies, and they might disguise themselves as "an unpopular opinion" or common sense, but you have to take a step back and look at what you're doing and saying. Transgender people have a staggeringly high rate of both falling victim to hate crimes/ murder, and of suicide attempts. About half of trans people will try to take their own lives at some point. Half. That's a very real and scary statistic, and it is not because they are all broken confused people- it's because of the enormity of their situation. It's hard to be a happy person when just stating your gender can prompt smirks and smug debates as to whether you're just lost and looking for attention.

I don't want to attack you or say that all this applies to you. I don't know you and want nothing more than to prompt thought and discussion about this is a compassionate way. It's easy to keep saying these things, especially when there are so many others who think the same way egging you on, but you're talking about a very vulnerable minority who've heard your words over and over again. Yes, there are trans teens out there who are edgy and demanding and "snowflakes", because they are children and children are prone to awkward or cringey behaviour. But the majority of us just want something very, very basic: to be able to say we're trans without bracing for the inevitable backlash of people who know nothing about what it's like, not really. If they woke up the next day in the body of the opposite gender and were calmly told to deal with it, they might better understand- but they won't, and never will, so it's easy to make statements about it because they're in no danger of it every happening to them. 

The point very much stands that it would be a small and valuable change to allow users to change their name. People have changed theirs legally and still cannot. It's not a big deal to have that option and it would improve user-friendliness; it just makes sense to have it as an option, for the reasons you listed too. Users who get married/ change names for personal reasons generally like to change their accounts accordingly, and when it's something without red tape like this, it's a big plus not to have to go through customer service to do so. These little things put people off- even without the whole trans debacle, it's a good idea! (Trust me, I've seen people give up midway through making an account because they can't figure out how to change something, especially older people. It's frustrating to watch sometimes but it doesn't help to alienate them).

If I don't respond to any further comments, my apologies- I'm not ignoring you or trying to get the last word in, it just takes a lot of energy to engage in these conversations and I have a very minimal presence online anyway. And I want to reiterate that I don't say any of this to try to be patronising or hostile; I genuinely just want to offer a different perspective. 

Fat_Gazza
Honored Guest

No, the name can't be changed. Sorry.
You can choose the D drive when you install Oculus. If you picked the wrong drive, then uninstall reinstall.

That's actually the dumbest thing ever.

Jayombi
Explorer
What about simply the case of buying a second had RIFT.....
My account has another name on it (he said I could have his games with the sale), so if that is not a good enough reason to want to change it what is ?

Shit_Faced
Honored Guest
Not sure why nobody has talked about just contacting support to get your name changed. Personally I feel it's stupid that it can't be done directly by the user themselves but at least this works. Took about 5 minutes via chat support. Just did it.

Jaxeed
Explorer

It's absolutely insane
that you can't change or hide your real name in your own home menu. I
stream gameplay and every time I stream VR I risk doxing myself. If a
game crashes, then boom, there is my full name on the screen for
everyone to see. Fair enough I can hide it from friends and the
public inside the Oculus network, but that I can't hide it from my
own home screen is bonkers.

Richooal
Consultant

Jaxeed said:

It's absolutely insane
that you can't change or hide your real name in your own home menu. I
stream gameplay and every time I stream VR I risk doxing myself. If a
game crashes, then boom, there is my full name on the screen for
everyone to see. Fair enough I can hide it from friends and the
public inside the Oculus network, but that I can't hide it from my
own home screen is bonkers.

Both Facebook and Oculus have decided that we all need to be reminded of our real names and neither have responded to requests for it to be removed from screens.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

oO_Jean-Philipp
Honored Guest
Hello World !
How can I contact support to change my real name ?
Thx in advance.

Richooal
Consultant

Hello World !
How can I contact support to change my real name ?
Thx in advance.

Start the process by opening a support ticket here...................
https://tickets.oculusvr.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.