cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nanotechnology: One Step Closer to the Perfect ‘Meta-lens’ for AR/VR Headsets

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
AR and VR headsets of the future could have clearer, lighter, and wafer thin lenses, thanks to a new manufacturing process that uses nanotechnology to not only shrink the thickness of the lens, but also correct for the sort of color distortions common to the lenses currently used in VR headsets.

the researchers say they’ve refined their design, allowing for arbitrarily adjustments to the transmission speed of light passing through different points on the lens. By modulating the transmission speed, the light can be made to arrive simultaneously at the focal point, resulting in a sharper image

We put the faster-transmitting nanostructures at the edges of the lens, so light travels through them faster than in those in the middle. This effectively helps the light from the meta-lens edges catch up with light at the center, so that all the rays focus together.

Though nanotechnology sounds exotic (and expensive), the researchers say that this approach could lead to better and cheaper lenses, and specifically suggest head mounted displays as one potential application

https://www.roadtovr.com/new-flat-lens-give-vr-headsets-better-image-quality-making-lighter-compact/

4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not sticking nanotech anywhere near my brain box. This could be the start of SkyNet 😮

Anonymous
Not applicable
I remember posting about this back in 2015 here xD glad they are keeping it up and working hard for it come out:) I say its still another maybe 5 years out, but I know it'll change VR as we know it for sure:)

Anonymous
Not applicable

snowdog said:

I'm not sticking nanotech anywhere near my brain box. This could be the start of SkyNet 😮

I think that we passed the point of no return around the mid-nineties. LOL

Oh well - I think I'll be dust before AI truly takes over humanity so I am good with all the cool gimmicky technological stuff that is likely to come in the next 10 or 20 years before it gets right outrageous.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Give me all of the nano tech I wanna be the first human to gain immortality and go Cyber Psyco!
WAAAGH!