cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New high-end Oculus/Meta Cambria hmd and controllers designs have leaked - arriving 2022

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

More info and images here - for what it's worth:

https://skarredghost.com/2021/10/24/quest-2-pro-and-controllers-appearance-may-have-been-leaked/

Charging stations look cool - and nice if black is the new black 😉 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah so the early week leaks have already begun...

Will there or won't there be an announcement of a new headset at this year's Connect.

Sofian75
Expert Protege

Looks very good but the battery on the back of the head would be a problem for people who like to watch movies while laying in bed.

kojack
MVP
MVP

Sadly the new controllers probably won't continue the tradition of replaceable AA batteries.

The multiple cameras on the controllers aren't going to like running on a single AA. So they are probably going for a higher voltage built in Lithium Ion.

What is going on with this person's head?

quest-2-pro-leak-2.jpg

It looks like they are wearing a backpack under the head strap.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Yep, you can see a charge docking station in one of the vids, The backpack is her hairstyle, it's there before she dons the headset 🙂

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

If this is the Pro, it wouldn't replace my Quest for go anywhere VR and movie viewing, I do a lot of movie viewing away, and on bed or head back on the couch this wouldn't work as @Sofian75 said.

It would make a fine replacement for my Rift-S though for home use, assuming optics/screen/IPD adjustment are all good. It would be a shame if we lose the swappable AAs in the controllers though. I hope they manage to keep them, or maybe fit 2 in each if needed. Li-ion would be ok if they last at least 10 hours or they're a swappable design with spares available.

It seems more likely I'll be getting a Quest 2 on Friday but looking foreword to hearing more about the Pro particularly res and foveated rendering. If this is genuine, it starts to look like maybe sooner than spring next year.... maybe.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Going to be really interesting to hear whether this Pro version of the Quest is something they are ready to start production of and taking orders, or if it is just a glimpse of what they have planned for sometime next year. I know back when they revealed the Rift S and Quest they were ready to take orders and start shipping within a month. And the other thing - whether the Pro will require a FB account to help the price, or whether it will be offered without the FB requirement at a possible higher price.  And might the Pro even have native Display Port connection as well?

kojack
MVP
MVP

A few thoughts.

When the Rift-S and Quest were announced, it was 2 months later that orders were taken. (Announced in march at GDC, orders opened in may). So it's possible they announce it at Connect then open orders a little over 2 months later in 2022, so the claim of no new headsets this year would be honored.

As I've seen some point out, the "Quest Pro" could literally be a professional headset. Announcing it wouldn't hurt christmas sales of Quest 2 much if its priced as a business product (current business Quest 2 is double the price of a consumer Quest 2, they could go even higher into Varjo territory). Announcing now would stop people thinking "I'll hold off on a Quest 2, maybe a new one is coming out soon" when they see it's not for consumers.

Then again, if it's a business headset, the tone of this tutorial video is odd.

YawningGreatAfricanelephant-mobile.gif

Also notice the body tracking. There's been talk on reddit of the Facebook patent on a mirror for AR stuff, the patent includes mentions of the headset using "image data" to track the user's body.

(The whole mirror patent is odd, I can't visualise how most of the described use cases would be useful. Things like using a real life mirror with AR overlay to show a teleconference around you, why not just anchor the overlay to any wall?)

Only about 4 hours until the Pimax preview of a new "next gen" headset. And a couple of days until Connect. Where I expect to be disappointed in some way. (The CV1 was the last headset that seemed to have no downsides, apart from the move to needing an account to run the headset and god rays. But the announced hardware sounded great)

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

I think we need a special pillow with a space for battery 😄

Or something like "travel pillow".

lensmandave
Superstar

Brilliant idea! Start designing it, you might make a fortune 🙂

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.