Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steam Hardware Survey - February 2024 results included

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

steamvr-2.jpg

Latest results:

dyko7ca98u34.jpg

These results are compared, at least for the Rift, to August when Rift peaked at 0.35 %. Since August 2018 Rift has decreased about 6 % (from 0.35 to 0.33). Vive also decreased.  

Compared to other HMDs we see from April to September (note that this image hasn't been updated to October yet):

bboc0nqusboe.jpg

When updated to October I'd expect:

Rift = 45 %
Vive = 42 %
WMR = 8 %
Vive Pro = 3 %
Rift DK2 = 1 %

Source: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

BTW - some history:

April 2018:

Oculus Rift 0.20%
HTC Vive 0.18%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%
Unknown 0.00%

July 2018:

Oculus Rift 0.32%
HTC Vive 0.31%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.05%
HTC Vive Pro 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%

I guess it's more or less a stand still since July for Rift and the original Vive... I don't think the Odyssey+ has had any impact on the WMR results above, the Odyssey+ is much too new - if it'll have any impact, it won't be before the Steam Hardware Survey November 2018 results. 

SteamVR_feature.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

550 REPLIES 550

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

snowdog said:

The Snowdog wins 99% of the time. B)

It'll probably end up selling around the same rate as the Vive Pro but if they made an effort to sell the things in retail they could comfortably outsell the Vive Pro I think. But that would mean effort, something that Valve stopped making around the same time they stopped be able to count to three. Wankers.

I do believe the Index will greatly outsell Vive Pro - because Index has controllers that work quite a lot like Touch and do offer a new dimension for hand representation, unlike those dreaded wands. The wands were my main issue with HTC, their oled HMDs did look fine to me and the tracking too. Wands and lack of awesome software content may be the biggest problems for HTC, interesting if Valve can do something to increase awesome VR content - for all PCVR users, like Valve has promised... 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

jab
Rising Star

snowdog said:

And 99% of the world can't buy or even pre-order a index yet..

Anonymous
Not applicable

jab said:

snowdog said:

It won't sell even when they can, they'll need to cut the price first. Like I've said it might do okay to begin with but once the launch window has come and gone those sales will drop like a lead balloon.

They won't be able to sustain decent sales for long.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

snowdog said:

jab said:

snowdog said:

It won't sell even when they can, they'll need to cut the price first. Like I've said it might do okay to begin with but once the launch window has come and gone those sales will drop like a lead balloon.

Seems like Rolex is still a thing - both Ferrari and Lamborghini haven't gone belly up too! 😉 Because things are expensive don't always mean that they won't sell and survive. 

Yesterday was my last chance to refund the Index, it was an easy choice to keep it, to me it truly feels like a CV2. But I still have the CV1 + 3 sensors connected, I like having some security when going on new adventures, lol. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

RuneSR2 said:

snowdog said:

jab said:

snowdog said:

Seems like Rolex is still a thing - both Ferrari and Lamborghini haven't gone belly up too! 😉 Because things are expensive don't always mean that they won't sell and survive. 

Yesterday was my last chance to refund the Index, it was an easy choice to keep it, to me it truly feels like a CV2. But I still have the CV1 + 3 sensors connected, I like having some security when going on new adventures, lol. 

The difference is the gulf in quality. With a Rolex or Ferrari there's a HUGE gap between them and a more affordable watch or car. The Valve Index isn't a clear set up from a Rift S, Pimax or a Reverb. If it had a Reverb/Pimax resolution and/or a Pimax FOV I would have bought one like a shot at its current price. It's a 1600p headset with a slightly larger FOV and is overpriced for what it is.

If it was $200/£200 cheaper than it launched for it probably would have over half the amount of sales between the Rift S and the Index. At its current price it won't sell a great deal, and we'll see that being reflected in the next Steam Survey. It'll sell better because it would have had a full month of sales data but it won't come close to selling as much as the Rift S. Probably won't be less than 4:1 of Rift S:Valve Index I reckon compared to the 6:1 seen in this latest Steam Survey.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If that was the case no one would buy the Index full stop. People buy the Index because they value the extra FOV, they value the headphones, they value the extra resolution, they value the IPD adjustment, they value the Knuckles finger tracking, they value the squeeze function, they value the tracking, they value the comfort. That’s whats makes it worth buying for. 

Why did you buy the RiftS as it’s not that big an upgrade over the Rift. Tracking worse, FOV the same, Controllers worse, sound quality worse. Everything about Rift S is worse apart from the resolution right?

The Rift S is $399/£399, has considerably less SDE, considerably less god rays, better for glasses wearers and no messing around with sensors. If the Rift S was $599/£599 I wouldn't have bought it. Oculus have priced their headset at a sensible level.

Enthusiasts have bought or will buy the Valve Index but they're only a small minority of potential customers, which is why it won't sell anywhere near as much as the Rift S. My guestimation as I've stated above is that the Rift S will outsell the Valve Index 4:1 unless Valve bring that price down. Now that may not be correct but it isn't going to be too far off I reckon.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Saw that the cheapest new Ferrari will set you back about 200k, isn't that about 4 times more expensive than a nice normal car? Lol. Each to his own, just saw that some dude ditched his high-end headphones because he liked the Index better. Depending on your frame of reference, the Index may indeed provide a huge gap in quality.

I tried Transpose yesterday, lenses all dialed in, fov was really huge, performance was better than CV1 (had to use low detail for CV1 ss 2.0, but in that game detail levels only affect quality of shadows, not textures), but Index image quality was so much better - and now I got perfect 90 fps even using the highest settings.
Even more mindblowing was Shadow Legend - got solid 90 fps using max settings and ss 2.0 (CV1) in that game, but now I could crank up ss to 1.3 using Index, which had quite an impact, image quality was beyond awesome - and combined with the game's 3D sound and the huge fov I'd say it was the gulf in quality compared to CV1 ss 2.0. I could see many small details that were impossible to see using the CV1. It was a different level of presence.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I'm just glad there's a VR headset for everyone's taste. The HTC Cosmos is the headset I'll be looking at because it has all the features I want and maybe more. I was a bit down because I had hoped Oculus would cater for the higher end market too, but there's other headsets to choose from now so it's no biggy.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

snowdog said:

The Rift S is $399/£399, has considerably less SDE, considerably less god rays, better for glasses wearers and no messing around with sensors. If the Rift S was $599/£599 I wouldn't have bought it. Oculus have priced their headset at a sensible level.

The Oculus Rift S is a much cheaper VR headset because it's shaved off a lot off things other headsets have. Had Oculus Rift S added headphones, higher resolution screens, an ipd adjuster, colour pass through camera's, the ability to connect to your mobile phone and a flip up front. Then I'm sure the Oculus Rift S would have been priced at £599 or higher.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

snowdog said:

The Oculus Rift S is a much cheaper VR headset because it's shaved off a lot off things other headsets have. Had Oculus Rift S added headphones, higher resolution screens, an ipd adjuster, colour pass through camera's, the ability to connect to your mobile phone and a flip up front. Then I'm sure the Oculus Rift S would have been priced at £599 or higher.

I'm not against inside-out tracking if they get it right - and it seems Oculus already has come a long way. A great price problem for the Index is the base stations - these are mechanical and I'm sure not cheap to make (must be of high quality to ensure they'll work for many years), each base station is currently priced at $160 - so that's $320 just for the tracking (very close to the full price of the entire Rift-S!). If Valve used inside-out tracking, maybe they could lower the Index kit price to $699 or something - but tracking is really perfect using the base stations (I have no occlusions by furniture or other objects and you can use up to 4 base stations if needed). Until I'm sure to get perfect tracking using inside-out I don't mind paying for the base station. (I think they look quite awesome - like small high-tech statues, lol.) The HMD cable is also at least 50% thicker than the CV1 cable and 5 meters long (15 feet or something), which oozes of quality, but probably doesn't make things cheaper. The Knuckles feel of much higher quality in the materials than old Touch, same goes for the Index HMD, seems like Valve did very little to cut corners, while Rift-S cut quite a lot of corners. In many ways you could consider the Index an optimal version of Rift-S, where you get awesome sound, mechanical IPD, much higher fov, refresh rates from 80 to 144, perfect tracking, higher res and I'd say even much better controllers - but like buying hi-fi systems the last percentages of awesomeness are costly. 
Cosmos does look interesting, looking forward to the first reviews. My biggest problem with the Index is lack of true blacks, but neither Rift-S nor Cosmos can fix that.