cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Windows 11 / Oculus VR - Experiences/Problems/Solutions Thread

There are a few threads popping up now relating to W11, variously asking for help or discussing issues.

I had thought about maybe bringing those into a single thread but some are in the support section which may be the right place to keep them if help is being sought.

My understanding is that Window 10 is the only OS currently supported by Oculus but that doesn't mean people won't want to upgrade for other reasons, or at least test it out. So I think it may be useful to have a single repository going forward for discussions of problems, solutions or general experiences of how your Oculus kit works with W11, as more people start to upgrade their OS or considering doing so.

14 REPLIES 14

Docbug31
Honored Guest

Hello,

sure it is a good idea.

I just upgraded on Win11 and I'm experiencing weird image rendering on my Oculus Rift S.

It is as if have 3-4 remnant frames when I move the head (without any loss of FPS though)

It is quite annoying and comfort is lost, if not unplayeable. It appears as soon as Occulus Home (not game related).

It was working like a charm on Win10.

I'm running a I5 9700K, 32Go, Nvidia RTX 3900 FE.

kojack
MVP
MVP

From what I've read online, the VBS security system that Microsoft is pushing in Windows 11 (default for all fresh installs of Win11, but not (yet) for upgrades) can cause a 5%-25% performance hit in games, which would be rather bad for VR. That also matches a couple of posts on here about Link on Win11 having a performance drop of around 25%, they might have VBS enabled.

Oculus relies heavily on the graphics drivers of your GPU (for VR rendering, GPGPU compression of video for Link, etc), it needs drivers with Direct Mode support (to bypass the Windows display drivers and go direct to the headset). Nvidia only released Windows 11 drivers 3 weeks ago, AMD 4 weeks ago. So there's likely to be a bunch of driver bugs that VR will make more obvious.

New Windows is always unstable for VR for a while. The same thing happened when Windows 10 came out, Oculus didn't support it (on the DK1 and DK2) at first.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@DaftnDirect  Good idea mate, thanks.  My i9 9900k/rtx3090 now has tpm2.0 and bitlocker so Win10 Pro Update is now reporting that my PC is win11 ready and I may be offered it soon.  I'll def. subscribe and check in on all the compatibility issues before upgrading to win11 Pro.  I'm thinking it may be best to wait until Microsoft issues it's first win11 feature update.  If they follow similar timelines to win10 feature updates, probably May-June 2022.  Cheers.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just used the Windows 11 Installation Assistant to download and update my PC to Windows 11.

It is available here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11

Windows Update was already reporting my PC to be ready for Windows 11 but was not offering the update yet. I installed it on the 5th. I always enjoy being an early adapter lol.

I was seriously thinking about testing W11 out. My MB has a TPM slot but last time I checked all the modules had sold out or going for silly money on ebay.

I believe we can install on unsupported hardware, just not using Windows update... download the ISO and do a clean install, which is probably the way I would have done it anyway. My CPU isn't supported either but that's probably just a lack of MS testing rather than problems I'm likely to have with it.

Well, anyway, I'm now going to see what people's experience of it is, especially with Oculus VR before trying it out.

My big interest was the DirectStorage which is being touted as reducing access times for stuff like Flight Simulator which has ridiculously long load times. I think the requirement is PCIE Gen 3 (or above) for the NVMe which is something my board does have at least. Not sure if people are getting much improvements in that area though or if games maybe have to be patched to enable it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just checked MSFS 2020 for the first time since upgrading to Windows 11 - I do not see at least any perceived difference in load time. I had to laugh though, I got a prompt - warning from MS asking if I wanted to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to my computer. That was too funny.

@DaftnDirect wrote:

My big interest was the DirectStorage which is being touted as reducing access times for stuff like Flight Simulator which has ridiculously long load times. I think the requirement is PCIE Gen 3 (or above) for the NVMe which is something my board does have at least. Not sure if people are getting much improvements in that area though or if games maybe have to be patched to enable it.

Direct Storage is a different method of reading assets, so the IO part of the game needs to be rewritten.

(Or rebuilt with a version of Unity / Unreal that supports Direct Storage)

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Yep, my understanding is that it bypasses the need to have access go via the CPU which is currently the case.

MS had mentioned this would improve FS load times a lot but if the game is waiting for a patch then I'll revisit when that's done.

Xbox FS load times are reported as being faster so I'm guessing it's already been implemented on that, unless someone knows different.

kojack
MVP
MVP

There was a patch for Windows 11 on Tuesday. Apparently it has badly affected AMD cpus, causing up to 15% performance drop in games. It increased L3 cache latency and has hurt the preferred core tech.

TechPowerUp tested the L3 cache latency, it went from 10ns to 17ns when moving to Windows 11, then to 31.9ns with yesterday's patch.