cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airlink/Virtual desktop lag and stutter quest 2

First off, my specs: i7 7700k, gtx 1080, 16GB RAM, and ssd. Using a wifi 6 router on a dedicated 5 Ghz band. 

Edit: I am using a cat6 Ethernet cable from PC to router.

I have had issues with steam vr and oculus pcvr. Both lag and stutter, no matter low or high settings, in every game I try. My encode in the ott is set to 0 already, I have put the resolution slider all the way to the lowest, as well as made sure my steam resolution was at just 100%. I have also tried changing my audio device, and turning asw on and off to try and smooth things out. Nothing works.

I am disappointed that meta would even try and release more hardware without having software that works for people above minimum specs. Multiple knowledgeable people on this forum have sold their equipment due to these issues, yet these issues still persist.

The only pcvr game I have that is even somewhat tolerable, without noticable stutter(it still shows red spikes on the steam vr graph) is Skyrim VR. Contractors VR, Bone works, Blade and Sorcery, Half Life: Alyx, and literally 20 other games and demos all run like trash with frame time spikes every 5-10 seconds or everytime I move side to side while close to objects. 

12 REPLIES 12

Do you have a gigabit ethernet connection between your PC and the router, and is the router close to the headset? Both of those things are pretty vital for decent Airlink.

Yes, I am wired to my router with my PC with a cat6 cable and I am only 3 - 4 feet from my router in the same room.

Assuming Virtual Desktop reports a link speed of 866MBps+, I can only imagine it's a GPU driver problem. Have you tried rolling your Nvidia drivers back to an earlier version? I'm on v471.68 and haven't had an Airlink problem for as long as I can remember. I doubt there will be much in the way of new features for an older card like yours (and mine) anyway.

I have tried several different drivers. I have a link speed of 1200MBs. 

I'm at a loss, it seems strange that with everything I and many others have tried that some of us are still having major issues (some with even much better equipment like a 10700k and a 3080). It seems like a software issue for sure. 

I just think they need to have everyone up and running before releasing new hardware. Some of these people have had these problems for literal years. 

CptAnonymou5
Explorer

I also had a same setup 7700k@5.2Ghz GTX 1070x2sli, 32Gb 3200Mhz Ram. I just upgraded to a RTX 3080. Main thing I had was that annoying stutter just sitting in steam with no game running.. I had at least 5-10ms stutters. After upgrading to the 3080 I still had it till 5 days ago updated to v41 beta. It was a night & day difference everything in Steam is now as smooth as playing a Oculus title. I'm not 100% sure if it was the v41 update because Steam, Oculus, & OTT pretty much updated at the same time. I would try to update to steam beta & Oculus Beta see if it helps.

Ascertain
Protege

I'm also getting severe stuttering in Skyrim VR where it did not exist before. My usual method of using a quiet 5g channel isn't working. Getting same problem with VD and Airlink. I've actually been poking at a modded version of Skyrim VR for over 2 years and am almost done with every mod and the game. I'm pretty sure I am going to abandon after this, maybe uninstall.

Hey everyone! If you haven't already, we definitely recommend checking for an update to the Oculus Home PC software, as the recent update has some fixes that can potentially fix the stuttering issues being faced. Here are some steps for running a repair on the Oculus Home PC software that will update your files to the newest version: 

1. Go to www.oculus.com/setup scroll down to Oculus Rift S and click Download software.
  2. Select Repair.
    • If Windows asks you if you’re sure you want to open this file, click Yes.
    • If Windows Defender prompts Windows protected your PC, click More info and then click Run anyway.
    • If your antivirus software restricts the file from opening, temporarily disable your AV and continue.
    • Please remember to re-enable your antivirus software once you've completed the repair.
  3. Allow the repair process to run, download and install.
  4. Launch the Oculus PC app.

The next step we'd recommend would be to check for Oculus driver updates by following the steps below:

1. Close the Oculus app.
  2. Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the Run command.
  3. Enter C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-drivers.
  4. Open oculus-driver.
  5. Open the Oculus app and then try to connect your headset again.

If neither of these steps prove useful in getting the stuttering to stop, we will need to take a look into your Log files which will be best done through a support ticket. Please submit your support ticket through the link here: https://metaque.st/Support! Steps for collecting your Log files can be found at the link here: How to Collect Log Files! The second half of the steps are going to be the steps you are looking for! Submitting your support ticket with your log files, will give us a better chance of understanding the culprit of the stuttering issue! 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Are you saying - "Go to www.oculus.com/setup scroll down to Oculus Rift S and click Download software-- does this apply to Oculus Quest 2 Headset also ??? - If so I'm using the wrong software with my Quest  2 when connecting to my PC with link cable 😂 - Help Pleeeese

You need the PC software, which is for Rift. When you run Airlink, your Quest is effectively emulating the disaply on a Rift. There is no PC software suite for the Quest range.