cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i use a quest 2 stick in my quest 1 controller?

lasse333
Explorer

I was wondering if i could use a quest 2 stick replacement in my quest 1 since i cant find anyother replacement part for quest 1 in general i would have gone for a new controller if i could get one and i do know my headset is outside warranty but i have found a repair center that's willing to help 

26 REPLIES 26

I believe the Quest 1, Rift-S and Quest 2 all use the same joystick module inside their controllers. i haven't verified that but they look identical and feel the same in use.

i found a post about that too but i really like a verifercation

PrincessPeeches
Meta Quest Support
Meta Quest Support

Heya! I'm not too sure of the specifics for the hardware on the controllers for if they would fit, but I do recommend erring on the side of caution since modifications like this can void the warranty on the device. Hopefully someone else can chime in with more info for the technicalities you're looking for though. Also, welcome to the forums! We're happy to have you here! Be sure to check out our ideas boards for cool suggestions on products, and our VR Experiences boards are also a neat place to find in-depth reviews on different VR titles. 🙂

*Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and others know by hitting this button.
*Known issues - Interacting with our known issues threads helps us track how many users are also experiencing that issue. Definitely interact with those posts if you are affected!
*Kudos button - Give others a virtual High-Five for helpful posts and replies you agree with!

Please only DM a mod if we've asked you to, or in the case of highly sensitive content. General questions/issues/topics are best shared on the forum where others can take part/benefit from the responses/solutions/workarounds

So Metas official position on trying to repair out-of-warranty (as stated), unobtainable controllers is to err on the side of caution and do nothing, but to check out other boards for cool ideas and game reviews that are no use, because the controller isn't working?

Look at stripdown guides for the two controllers on ifixit and Youtube. The modules look pretty darn identical to me and only cost a few $/£ on AliExpress. Given that your controller is presumably not working, what do you have to lose?

The controller is still working but its annoying to use because of stick drift besides they are a forum mod they are saying what the title requires them to do 

As stated above im looking for verification of putting a quest 2 stick module in a quest 1 also didn't find anything on the ifixit website 

The ifixit guide for the Q2 is here . There is a good disassembly video for the Q1/Rift-S controller here , with a good view of the joystick module at around the 6:44 mark. Now, I haven't needed to replace the module in any of my Q1/Q2 or Rift-S controllers but given that no soldering is involved, the modules appear to be identical and they are available cheaply with disassembly tools, I'd certainly have no qualms about giving it a try.

You may be a little less gung-ho with electronics that I am though!

Nobody has tried it and i want to make sure they haven't switched up something like the voltage needed or the order of cables in the ribbon so you could actually put the voltage wire into the data transfer i tried to search for part/model numbers on both controllers all i found was 1 guy about to try and he ended up not doing so i know where to get the parts and such all i was is a clarification from the engineers or someone who tried to do this