cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combining Oculus Rift (1) sensor and Oculus Quest (2?) for better tracking and full body tracking?

DevataNL
Protege

I am an owner of the original Oculus Rift.

I love perfect tracking this system has, but at the moment I can’t set
up the system meaning I cannot really use the Rift.

The Rift S and the Rift Quest would be better for this situation while
tracking is not as good as with the original Rift (still really good, just a
little less what I hear people sat).

Now with Quest Link I like how you pretty much have one device that you
can use in two modes. More high end by linking it to the PC and low end by
using it as standalone.

Of course this principle can be expanded upon. Maybe with the current
Oculus Quest or else with the Quest 2.

Why not also add in the possibility (so not requirement) of using the
Rift Sensors for ever better tracking and possibly even full body tracking.

With a second gen you could of course go much further allowing for non-compressed
images send to the device or additional (optional) sensors on the device that
only work when connected to the PC.

Are there any plans for this?

12 REPLIES 12

Litespeed
Heroic Explorer
Not with the current Quest. The Rift's sensors won't work with it as it lacks the Rift's LEDs for constellation tracking.

Anonymous
Not applicable
in the future, you will be able to point a webcam at you and get outside in tracking...

PITTCANNA
Visionary
More tracking is always better, as it currently stands the quest 2's tracking is good enough for the wide variety of games out there.  To integrate an outside in and inside out tracking would be a bit demanding for the quest 2 architecture. 

And full body isn't always great just more racking points, means more points of failure. 

GaMeAhOLiC
Explorer
I was really hoping there would be a good solution for this too.
I have the Oculus CV1 and the Quest 2 now. I find the tracking is not as reliable as my CV1 was. It is not bad by any means, but there are some issues. For example when you are aiming a gun I find one of my hands/controller will occlude the second and sometimes cause aiming issues.

Some sort of external sensor or being able to use the CV1 sensors would be amazing. The cameras on the Quest 2 that pick up the IR LEDs on the controllers, if they are the same as the CV1 sensors then perhaps it wouldn't be too hard to add?

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

I was really hoping there would be a good solution for this too.
I have the Oculus CV1 and the Quest 2 now. I find the tracking is not as reliable as my CV1 was. It is not bad by any means, but there are some issues. For example when you are aiming a gun I find one of my hands/controller will occlude the second and sometimes cause aiming issues.

Some sort of external sensor or being able to use the CV1 sensors would be amazing. The cameras on the Quest 2 that pick up the IR LEDs on the controllers, if they are the same as the CV1 sensors then perhaps it wouldn't be too hard to add?

Please do some basic google research beforehand.  This topic has bee raised a zillion times since the Rift S and Q1 were introduced.  At one point in time (Sept 2019) Oculus hinted they may be able to combine the cv1 sensors but then this just died and it's unlikely to ever resurface again imho.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

VR-Snowcrash
Honored Guest
  If you think that the Quest 2 doesn't see Oculus Rift CV1 sensors I suggest you simply look at your sensors while Steam VR is launching and you can clearly see the sensors (I have 3) and they are tracking. That is with the CV1 Rift installed but when I got my Quest and linked it to my PC I noticed them right away and I noticed that the tracking was incredible. 
I'm not sure if this is a beta or developer-enabled feature because I'm a lead developer for an Indie VR company called Virtual Revolution so those settings were enabled before I did anything else with the HMD. I want to get my original touch controllers working with the Quest 2 since all of the calculations and device compatibility are already coded and contained within the Oculus launcher/client. 
   If you happen to doubt this just link your Quest 2 with your CV1 Rift and its sensors plugged in and set up then launch any Steam PCVR title. When Steam VR comes online you can see your sensors in the CV1 Rift or in the Quest 2 fully tracked. This means the Oculus client is definitely using data in some manner or you wouldn't even see the CV1 sensor system.
   I'll drop another post when I get some time to see what the limitations are and if using the original touch controllers is an option with the sensors still installed. 

kojack
MVP
MVP
The Rift-S, Quest and Quest 2 emulate 3 fake sensors. This is so old software that expects to be able to query external sensors isn't confused. Connect a Rift-S on a computer that has never seen a CV1 and you'll still have what appear to be 3 CV1 sensors tracking the headset, but they aren't real.
This is mentioned in the developer docs for the ovr_GetTrackerCount and ovr_GetTrackerDesc functions.
For newer headsets being used on a game built against an old SDK
version, we may simulate three CV1 trackers to maintain backwards
compatibility.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Hi guys. I've been looking for the exact same solution to this. Have you made any progress since this post? 

DekaWar
Explorer

yes it would be nice, To just toss up the old Rift CV1 Sensor to help track the controllers of the Quest 3 or 2.  seems my Beat saber swings just out of range of the Quest 3 miss. (looking to the left as i swing to the right) never would miss on the Oculus Rift CV1. 

Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?