cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloaded/unzipped ADB Driver doesn't have "inf" extension, can't right-click/install

Hey_Matty_B
Explorer
Hello there. I'm having an issue installing the Oculus ADB Drivers to my Oculus Quest. I've downloaded the "oculus-adb-driver-2.0" zip file to Windows 10, unzipped it, and gone into the appropriate sub-folder, but the "android_winusb" file doesn't show up as an INF file. When I right click it, there's no option to install. Instead, it opens the file up as a text file. 

I know people are having multiple issues with getting these drivers to work, but I've only seen this particular problem mentioned a couple of times (mostly on YouTube videos; I did a quick search through these forums and couldn't find anything). And some of the walkthrough solutions I've found online seem pretty dated (pre-Link, and several Quest updates ago). I'm also wondering if the most recent version of SideQuest installs these ADB drivers on its own during setup? (I saw something that suggested that, but I'm not sure.)

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
14 REPLIES 14

kojack
MVP
MVP
I just downloaded the adb driver from https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/package/oculus-adb-drivers/ and it has the inf file.
What extension did the android_winusb file actually have?
Have you enabled visible extensions? By default windows hides extensions. Go into an explorer window and select View / Options / View and untick the "Hide extensions for known file types".

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
You do not need to show the .inf extension to install these drivers.  You just need admin rights.  Worked fine for me after I unzipped the folder.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

kojack
MVP
MVP

TomCgcmfc said:

You do not need to show the .inf extension to install these drivers.

Sorry, I didn't mean the extension needs to be shown to install, just that the reason "doesn't have 'inf' extension" happened might be because windows is hiding it, so we can narrow down the problem.

It drives me crazy that windows tries to hide parts of file names. The first thing I do on any new computer (I move to many different classroom PCs at work) is turn off hiding. 🙂
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Hey_Matty_B
Explorer
Hello there. I'm having an issue installing the Oculus ADB Drivers to my Oculus Quest. I've downloaded the "oculus-adb-driver-2.0" zip file to Windows 10, unzipped it, and gone into the appropriate sub-folder, but the "android_winusb" file doesn't show up as an INF file. When I right click it, there's no option to install. Instead, it opens the file up as a text file. 

I know people are having multiple issues with getting these drivers to work, but I've only seen this particular problem mentioned a couple of times (mostly on YouTube videos; I did a quick search through these forums and couldn't find anything). And some of the walkthrough solutions I've found online seem pretty dated (pre-Link, and several Quest updates ago). I'm also wondering if the most recent version of SideQuest installs these ADB drivers on its own during setup? (I saw something that suggested that, but I'm not sure.)

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

kojack
MVP
MVP
I merged your second duplicate thread in here. There's no need for two identical threads a day apart, especially when there are already responses in the first thread.

danz3113
Honored Guest
I am also having this same issue as the original poster. I have unchecked hidden files and hidden file name extensions. Now the .inf file shows but it only opens as a text doc. Any advice is appreciated!

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

danz3113 said:

I am also having this same issue as the original poster. I have unchecked hidden files and hidden file name extensions. Now the .inf file shows but it only opens as a text doc. Any advice is appreciated!

You do not open it.  You right click on it and select install.  You need admin permissions to do this btw.  Also, there was not any need to show the extension.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

danz3113
Honored Guest
Thank you, Tom. When I right click, I do not get an install option- only an explore. And are you referencing computer admin permissions? Cause I have those. I was trying this on a different computer with the same results as well.

Any chance you can walk me through this like a 5 year old?? 

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Maybe try right clicking on this file a couple of times.  I think I've noticed that sometimes the install does not always show up.  Otherwise, I don't know what else you can do except maybe ask Oculus Support for help.  Maybe the drivers are not current and you may need to download them again? 

Sorry I can not be of more help mate.  I think I must have been lucky and it all seemed to work for me as per Virtual Desktop website instructions.

https://www.vrdesktop.net/

This was the best/easiest 2 minute YT vid I found to follow.  I installed VD on my Quest first and then sideloaded the updated version form sidequest for wireless.  You don't need VD if you are not interested in wireless, just this stuff;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P3kPD9ZrxE

You might also try the Virtual Desktop discord channel (google it).  Good luck mate and cheers.

Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?