cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Left headphone fell off but audio still works -- how do I screw it back on?

avatizer
Explorer
Yesterday I used my rift like normal and today when I went to put it on I found that the circular ear-cover part of my left headphones has become unscrewed from the plastic headphone attachment. It's still connected by the cord and audio works fine, but there's now a small black screw coming from the middle of it and I can see the open hole that needs to be screwed into.

The problem is I can't screw it because the headphones are modular and meant to spin, so putting the screw in place and turning the headphones doesn't do anything. There's also no space to put tweezers or something else to stop the screw from moving on its own.

Has anyone else had this problem? I've never hit the earphone or done anything strenuous with it, so I have no idea what caused this but I figure this has come up before for others.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
The exact same thing just happened to me. And with a brand new rig. I just got it this morning and the earbud fell off the second time I put on the HMD. Did you ever hear back from anyone?

cybereality
Grand Champion
You screw it in with the small black plastic screw-driver that comes with the bundle.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Roaster
Rising Star
Is it the bottom part?
The female hole piece seems to be snapped into the earphone body, so if you could get it out without breaking it, then screw it onto the screw, then press it back together ...
x9osdl191ajp.jpg 
This my old pair that I just replaced due to other breakage, at upper pivot hinge. 
Get warranty replacement if possible, first. $50 usd if not.

On closer inspection the center hole in the upper part with the wire is a socket head screw, so an allen wrench is needed to undo that screw, or tighten it, and the surrounding snap-in part does not spin in the earphone body or attachment arm due to guide tabs.
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

cybereality
Grand Champion
If the ear piece itself fell off, not the whole arm, then you should not attempt to repair yourself. Please contact us for assistance. Thanks. https://support.oculus.com/
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Hi
i have just had the exact same fault and as i got it in july 16 i imagine it is out of warranty. has anyone successfully managed a home brew fix ? it still works but wont for long if i carry on using it.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

bigmike20vt
Visionary
i am thinkiing a big blob of pipe glue... it wont move but if it stiill works i can live with it.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Roaster
Rising Star

i am thinkiing a big blob of pipe glue... it wont move but if it stiill works i can live with it.

Use Household Goop. Very good vinyl glue for globbing, builds up a nice mass.
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Aye my mate has some aroldite . He has take it home with him and will glue it for me. I only have superglue which I am worried will melt the plastic.