cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link not supplying power to Q2

Zandil
Rising Star

Ok so this just started the other day, my quest 2 will no longer charge via the Oculus link cable, and when I play PCVR the Q2 battery is discharging fast, I'm talking lost 40% charge in 10 mins.

After playing around I have found a strange issue, the link is plugged into the USB C on my MoBo and when checking power outputs for USB ports the Quest 2 port is showing 0 power output, yet the link cable works fine just stopped supplying power all of a sudden.

unsure if this is a software issue in my PC, It charges fine via a wall socket

So far, I unplugged everything from other USB ports, no luck

Plug my Pixel phone into the link cable and it gets a power reading of 896 mA

Tested in a USB 3 port and the Q2 shows 500mA

Tested on another USB c-c in same USB C port and same issue 0 power output

Mobo is only 3 months old ROG Strix B550-F Gaming

if anyone knows a possible solution?

Updated with another test:

Using power cord that came with Q2, plugged into USB C port on back of PC, Phone plugged in reads 500mA, plug Q2 in and reads 0mA

252 REPLIES 252

But say i don't care about length since i only use cable while sim racing and 10ft would be perfect...and say i'm good with only 896mA like the Type A provide cause i can still race for like 4 hours...is THERE a cable that is known to be THIN and LIGHT and would be good for my use case? i have this cable and it's okay but it's thick and heavy and not flexible i hate it:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08NVHKRDR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

yansag
Protege

This one seem to be thin and light but how to be sure?

Anyone tried this one?

https://www.amazon.ca/KIWI-design-Accessories-High-Speed-Assurance/dp/B09N78NKVG/ref=sr_1_9?crid=I7N...

Bendit74
MVP
MVP

If you buy a powered extension cable, you can still use your favorite Link cable. Know what I mean? It would go Headset->Link Cable->Thick extension cable (with power)->Computer.

I've used the 2 cables in my previous post for months. It's not damaging anything.

Intel i7-7700K, 32GB RAM - nVidia GTX 1070 Amp Edition 8GB GDDR5. Link Cable.

yansag
Protege

i ordered the little 10ft Kiwi design cable Type A i posted just above...i think it'll do me good i just hope it's as think as it looks in the pictures...ill get it tomorrow. The other one i have was doing just fine but it's too stiff and heavy.

These are the 3 cables I have used/tried:

Syntech Link Cable 16 FT Compatible with Meta/Oculus Quest 2 Accessories and PC/Steam VR, High Speed...

This worked fine, offered charging of 896mA and gave what I figure to be around 4-5 hours (I didn't run it completely dead) but lost about 20% every hour or so running iRacing at 90Hz. It isn't terrible in terms of bulk/flexibility but it wasn't the best.

Amazon.com: KRX Link Cable Compatible for Oculus Quest 2, Fast Charing & PC Data Transfer USB C 3.2 ...

Was the 2nd cable I used, again it worked fine and offered the same 896mA and battery performance, due to it being braided it's a little more flexible.

Amazon.com: Kuject Design 16FT Link Cable for Oculus Quest 2, with Separate Charging Port for Ultra-...

Is what I settled on, it will charge at about 2A but only when needed (when Quest battery is below 80% or so) this helps provide infinite play time (I did the Indy 500 using this and after about 4 hours I was still at 84%). I found it more flexible than the white cable listed above. Also if you choose not to plug in the USB C power to the box on it, it will still provide 896mA from the USB port so for short gaming sessions it will work like any of the other cables, for longer sessions you can just plug the stock charger into it and get infinite play time.

I find the cable very manageable, one of the reasons I switched from a G2 to Q2 is I found the heavy cable on the G2 very annoying when playing (the majority of my PC play is simracing seated).

Thanks a lot for your input...very appreciated...i'll leave a quick comment when i get my little cable if it's a good choice for sim racing in terms of lightness and flex.

They make a point of saying it's lightweight and flexible so it has to be somewhat better lol

10FT/3M long, Flexible, Lightweight, and Soft: 10FT long, better for gameplay sitting on the chair or just still standing play. Suggest go get a 16FT one if you like playing the games moving a lot. Made with durable and premium material, it's extremely flexible, lightweight, and soft, providing a best-in-class immersive game experience. It's also a thinner cable that may feel little dragging behind you when jerked around in VR games

I will consider the Kuject too if i find myself running out of the power in the future 😉

Just keep in mind that while the listing says 3A quick charge, your USB ports on your actual computer likely aren't capable of that so you will only get 896mA. While the cable is capable of working with a higher current, unless you plug it into a source that supports it, the device on the other end wont receive it. 

Yes thanks that part i figured after buying the first cable...so i bought a thin fiber optic expensive type C cable thinking of getting more charge and more comfort...ended up with no charge at all and more comfort (THANKS META OCULUS FACEBOOK at least i did not buy YOUR version of the cable)...and so now i gave up the more power part i will settle with just more comfort @896mA 🙂

Thanks again mate!

EDIT: Well if the listing is true and it's really 4.7mm i should be in good shape i measured my current white cable and it's 6.1 or 6.2mm....so quite a diff. my ''expensive fibre optic useless type C'' cable is 4.7mm as well

yansag_0-1655238458533.png

If you have thunderbolt compatible motherboard you can buy Asus thunderboltex pcie card. You connect it with 6pin connector from PSU and to thunderbolt connector on the motherboard. It has usb c capable of quick charge. I use of with usb c to c cable and I have infinite play time. 

Shouldn't there be a more recent version of the Kuject cable with USB 3.1 or 3.2 support?