cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Occulus VR Headset Questions.

TomParkinson
Honored Guest

I am heard that an Occulus Quest can run software from a PC while connected through USB2, using the 'Desktop' Software, to and from the PC and the Occulus unit.

1) Can such a mode of operation communicate an interactive 3D world in its entirety, to and from an Occulus, if programmed and run through a PC, with USB2?

2) Can this be done through secure WIFI without a USB2 cord, or not?

3) Is the 'Desktop' software absolutely necessary to get this developed software functioning going? Is the 'Desktop' a free software download, or not?  What exactly is the 'Desktop' software, for Occulus?

4) Can this only be done on a Windows PC, or is it possible through Linux too, or not?

5) Is the Occulus Quest the only Occulus headset that this is possible for? If not, can you tell me the names of the other headsets from Occulus which can acheive PC to Occulus secure WIFI communication?

6) What is it that projects the quality of visual perceived 3D from a displayed 3D object, painted by means of a PC software language to an Occulus unit? Is it the 'Desktop' software that does this, automatically? Is there anything more particular or special that needs to be done from PC software Occulus to grant visual 3D perception to displayed objects, or does the Occulus Quest hardware or software, of the 'Desktop' software, interpret things automatically, after the fact, to acheive that?

7) What PC software language driver bindings are available to take information to and from the hand controllers, the Occulus Display, and haptic feedback and PC language software? Is there Java Support?

😎 If Java Driver support exists, does this include Javadoc support for described Driver(s)?

10 REPLIES 10

1. Yes, the Quest acts as a VR display device for PCVR games, although USB3 is needed

2. Yes

3. Not always, but it's normal to install the desktop software suite

4. Windows only

5. Yes

6. I don't understand the question. PCVR games are displayed on the VR headset

7. VR APIs, such as OpenXR

I suggest you do some research on Oculus Link, Airlink and VR in general for API support

This is the quickest and most accurate way to complete my research questions pertaining to the Occulus VR Headset that I can find!

3# What exactly is the 'Desktop' software, for Occulus?  What does it do?

7# What Is there Java Support for PC software language driver bindings take information to and from the hand controllers, the Occulus Display, and haptic feedback and PC language software, to create and control an Occulus Quest VR world in a Java oriented manner?

8# If Java Driver support exists, does this include Javadoc support for described Driver(s)?

The Oculus desktop software is just what it appears to be - Oculus software for desktop PCs. A quick Google would lead you to, for example, here . It acts as a software interface between the PC and Oculus headsets. I would suggest hitting the developer sections for more in-depth information.

7# Is there Java Support for PC software language driver bindings to send information to and from the hand controllers, the Occulus Display, and haptic feedback and PC language software, to create and control an Occulus Quest VR world, in a Java oriented manner?

8# If Java Driver support exists, does this include Javadoc support for described Driver(s)?

I would suggest hitting the developer sections for more in-depth information.

I already have.  While I find language and driver support for other languages, I can't find anything in relation to Java.  Therefore, I wish to politely persist with my original questions.  If user_901925786032222 is unable to answer me, can someone else more in the know be politely tapped on the shoulder to examine my thread here to answer my two remaining questions, kindly, please?

7# Is there Java Support for PC software language driver bindings to send information to and from the hand controllers, the Occulus Display, and haptic feedback and PC language software, to create and control an Occulus Quest VR world, in a Java oriented manner?

Can someone kindly notice and reply to my final two questions, seven and eight, (7,8), in this thread with addressal responses, kindly, please?

This is a community forum so you will get community responses. Have you logged a formal support call for a formal response?

I am only in a position to utilise free Oculus support. What exactly is a 'formal support call'? Is there a Web URL for it, and if so, what is that URL?  If it is a frees support option, how do I commence going through with that?