cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus App keeps restarting when headset is plugged in(quest 2)

LilReAsoN
Explorer

So i will start by saying i got the quest 2 when it came out. everything was working good for months. I had a titan xp with a ryzen 7 3700 and 64 gb of ram. Now about a month or two ago i got an AMD 6900XT and i have been getting weird problems ever since. it first started with weird pixilation of the screen. this problem is where the screen will go really lo res for a few seconds and then go normal(then it would repeat). when it did this reinstalling AMD drivers seemed to fix it but it was quite annoying. So today i was trying to play it but after i reinstalled my driver, the oculus app on the pc will continuously crash and reopen. Sometimes it will say "Oculus app status: can't reach oculus service". As it keeps looping. Now if the headset is not plugged in the app works fine. I have tested this on a different computer and it works fine. so it is not a hardware issue. I'm pretty sure it is a compatibility issue with oculus and amd drivers. i say thins because i uninstalled the AMD driver and i was able to plug in my headset without any issue(it did say my pc wasn't compatible at that point tho)  It is kind of a pain. does anyone have a fix or recommendation? Thank you for your time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ozpital
Explorer

I started getting this load/crash loop issue a few days ago. A clean and reinstall of the Oculus Software fixes it on occasion but not every time in my experience.
I've tried a fresh install of Windows without installing the latest AMD drivers. It doesn't help so I wouldn't go down the DDU/AMD Cleanup Tool route.
I'm now back on latest AMD drivers.

I'm running an AMD 5700XT.

Now this is where things get interesting in my opinion.
Using the Oculus Debug Tool as Administrator, changing the 'Encode Bitrate (Mbps)' to 0 and restarting the Oculus Service stopped the issue occurring. The Oculus software would load successfully and my Quest 2 would link normally.
Changing the Encode Bitrate (Mbps) to anything above 346 and restarting the Oculus Service will reproduce the issue without fail.

My assumption is that the Oculus Software/Service runs a test on load and having the bitrate too high will cause the test to fail and crash the Oculus Software/Service.

Another assumption is that this "346" value varies depending on system configuration but do give it a go and feedback any findings.

Once successfully connected and linked at a low bitrate, I can increase the Encode Bitrate (Mbps) beyond 346 without restarting the service. ie. Up to 500 without issue.

The issue now is that I need to lower the bitrate each time I boot my computer, restart the Oculus service and then back up to 500 again when I'm linked.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

Landian
Explorer

No fix, but just to let you know that I have this exact issue. Tried everything for the past 2 hours (reinstalled oculus app, updated headset, factory reset headset, updated AMD drivers). Nothing works, I have filed a ticket.

LilReAsoN
Explorer

Thank the lord im not the only one. when did the weird app restarting loop thing start for you? Do you have one of the newer AMD cards? I don't own games on the store so my headset is worthless right now.

Landian
Explorer

Same. I only use it for flight sims. The problems started with v27 download today. A few weeks back I had tried to hop in the beta v27 and it did the same. Found a way to roll back to non-beta then and it worked. Today when I started to use it, it forced the update and the restart loop issue started. Note that if I plug the cable (official link cable) when the headset is not on my head (so in sleep mode), it doesn't do the loop, but doesn't recognize it either.

I have a 5700XT, so not so new but decent.

LilReAsoN
Explorer

It just makes me wonder. let me know what they say to you

Kjerand
Explorer

I also have this exact problem. AMD 5700 XT - tried different AMD drivers as well. I had v27 previously installed when it was in beta, but reverted back to v26 cause of the locked 72hz issue and problems connecting with link. Now that the update was rolled out I'm not able to connect at all.

Kjerand
Explorer

Rebooting in safe mode, uninstalling and removing all oculus related folders and keys in windows registry under HKLM\SOFTWARE and HKCU\SOFTWARE, restarting and reinstalling fixed this issue for me.

However, the image quality is pretty bad with v27. Seems like compression artifacts and chaning bit rate in debug tool doesn't seem to fix it.

So you are on the newest drivers for AMD? I'm gonna try your method in  bit but can you tell me the steps you took?

Kjerand
Explorer

I did get the newest drivers, yes, but that did not solve my issue. I also uninstalled oculus development tools, both on the PC and headset and did a full reset of the quest 2 headset. I had to reboot windows in safe-mode (shift-click restart from windows menu), then uninstall the oculus software (I also uninstalled the OTT, which I had installed).

Then delete any oculus folders. Look in c:\Program Files, c:\users\{user}\AppData (look in Local/LocalLow and Roaming). Also, in regedit, delete the oculus keys in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE.

Finally restart windows in normal mode, make sure the q2 is unplugged and do a fresh install, following the on screen instructions.

Good luck, I hope it works for you as well!