cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Quest 2 installing games extremely slow

majorthief1
Explorer

I haven’t been on my oculus for 5 months, and recently, I came back excited to play it. I went to update my games and noticed it was installing at 64KBs a second. I restarted my internet, and the router. Turned on 120Hz refresh rate, still nothing. Searched the internet for anything I could find to fix this. I found nothing and ended up factory resetting the oculus. Even after resetting it, it was still downloading the same speeds. I did an internet speed test and it was perfectly fine. I’m excited for this new game “bonelab” to release tomorrow, but won’t be able to play it if it never installs. If someone can please find me a solution, I would greatly appreciate it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AsgardsFinest
Retired Support

Hello @majorthief1

Bonelab does looks pretty awesome. I can't wait to play it myself!

If you're noticing slow download speeds, it's most likely your connection, mate. Head over to your router and unplug it for 2-3 minutes. After that, plug it back in and give it about 3-5 minutes to get booted up and stabilize the connection. It would also be a good idea to double check the state of your connection. Are you using a 2.4GHz or 5GHz network? Do you have multiple devices connected to the same network while you're trying to download apps and games on your Quest 2? These are a couple things to consider down the line, but restarting the router will fix this like, 90% of the time.

If a router restart doesn't get that connection sorted, give this a shot:

• Disconnect and forget the Wi-Fi connection from your mobile device, then reconnect to it.
  • Disconnect and forget the Wi-Fi connection from your headset, then reconnect to it.
  • Hard reboot your headset.

Hard reboots are safe, and won't remove any data. It's just a kickstart to get a few of the kinks worked out. You can make that happen by putting your headset on then holding the power button down for about 30-40 seconds. Your headset will go dark then cycle back to the main screen, and you're golden. Easy as pie.

Let me know how it goes! I hope to hear some good news soon. 😎

Quick edit for clarity: I totally should have mentioned this in my reply. I see where you've already done some of this, but this will be one of the rare times I have ask you to repeat a previous step. Apologies for the duplication of effort here, but we'll want to work from the freshest connection possible.

Ad Astra Per Aspera, Trooper.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there! We would love to assist you with trying to get your games installed faster. At this time, we would like to suggest that you uninstall and reinstall the Oculus application and try downloading the games that way. 

Let us know how this works for you!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Do you mean the oculus app on my phone? Because I have just done that and I still have the same download speeds.

AsgardsFinest
Retired Support

Hello @majorthief1

Bonelab does looks pretty awesome. I can't wait to play it myself!

If you're noticing slow download speeds, it's most likely your connection, mate. Head over to your router and unplug it for 2-3 minutes. After that, plug it back in and give it about 3-5 minutes to get booted up and stabilize the connection. It would also be a good idea to double check the state of your connection. Are you using a 2.4GHz or 5GHz network? Do you have multiple devices connected to the same network while you're trying to download apps and games on your Quest 2? These are a couple things to consider down the line, but restarting the router will fix this like, 90% of the time.

If a router restart doesn't get that connection sorted, give this a shot:

• Disconnect and forget the Wi-Fi connection from your mobile device, then reconnect to it.
  • Disconnect and forget the Wi-Fi connection from your headset, then reconnect to it.
  • Hard reboot your headset.

Hard reboots are safe, and won't remove any data. It's just a kickstart to get a few of the kinks worked out. You can make that happen by putting your headset on then holding the power button down for about 30-40 seconds. Your headset will go dark then cycle back to the main screen, and you're golden. Easy as pie.

Let me know how it goes! I hope to hear some good news soon. 😎

Quick edit for clarity: I totally should have mentioned this in my reply. I see where you've already done some of this, but this will be one of the rare times I have ask you to repeat a previous step. Apologies for the duplication of effort here, but we'll want to work from the freshest connection possible.

I’ve just done mostly everything you’ve suggested. It gets it up to 1.5 mbs but that’s still pretty slow. It will probably take up to 30 minutes to install a 1 gigabyte game, but that’s ok. At least it’s a little faster now. I don’t know the issue, my usual download speed is 40mbs. I don’t know if it’s because I haven’t played for a few months, or because I moved.

Hey there again. Have you checked to see if there is anything else in your home that may be hogging the bandwidth like streaming as an example, while you are downloading the game? You can use a speed test online to see what actual speed you are getting. we have provided a link for you here.

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Admittedly, I am a bit salty that we didn't get you up and running at top speeds, but I'm definitely glad we've made a step in the right direction. I think it may actually be a good idea to send a chat to support, mate. Here's a link for that.

I'm not able to use it here, but Support has a tool called "RouteThis". Here's a breakdown for getting that set up.

Accessing and using the RouteThis Helps App:

1. To download the RouteThis Helps app, open the web browser on your mobile device and navigate to: iOS or Android.

2. Open the app and enter your access code: FBRL

3. With your mobile device in hand, stand close to your Meta Quest or Portal device and click network scan

4. Follow the prompts on your screen to run a 2 minute network scan (do not close or leave the app while the scan is running)

5. Once the scan is complete click on Improve Facebook Device Performance and follow the steps to improve your network

If the steps provided by RouteThis don't get your network sorted, you'll be given a code. Give that code to your agent and they'll have everything they need. 😎

This app is cool because it gives your agent a snapshot of your connection environment, and they'll be able to pinpoint where any issues may be. That being said, it will have some personal info related to your connections, so you won't want to share that information in a public place. You also aren't required to keep the app. Once you've finished up with support, you're totally free to uninstall it. 👍

Good luck! I wish you the speediest of solutions.

None of those worked.

Quest 2 is getting about 100kbps down, but my network is getting 300mbps down.

Other options?

What might help @RobbieF777, is trying a different network and maybe even a hot spot to test the network. As long as it's a network with a 5GHz Wi-Fi setting, you should be able to boost a little bit of your connectivity. Another thing you might want to try beforehand is to factory reset the headset so that you're working with a fresh headset.

We are hoping that the little tidbit helped @RobbieF777. We understand that if you are still having trouble, please let us know. We want to do our best to help.