cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus cable question ( Rift S )

NewtSoup
Explorer

I recently dug my Rift S out to play a game and had to go through set up again.

I have a green "connected" tick for both USB and Display Port.

Both controllers paired with the headset.

During Device Setup the app tries to test the sensors. This test fails.

During extensive testing I tried every USB port.

Finally I asked my son to test it on his PC to see if it was my PC that was simply not recognising it.

The headset did not work on his PC either until he tried it with HIS cable.

Using a known good cable the headset works fine.  So I know I need a new cable.

What I am hoping someone can explain to me if the cable is faulty, how can the headset be recognised as a Rift S and pair the controllers yet fail the sensor test?  Clearly data is being read through the cable.

Is the Display Port bidirectional and sensor info comes through that?

Thanks in advance, Ruth

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi thank you.

I discovered that the Display Port does indeed have a USB C port included in it's pinout and is therefore capable of bi-directional communication.    It's this port that is used to send data from the sensor cameras on th the headset back to the PC.

I have been in touch with Oculus Support via email and the issue is now resolved.  I will PM to give details.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello there! We appreciate the information above and want to make sure you have your question answered! We want to invite you to our PM and get in contact with us, so we can get you the help you need.

Please select our name to get to our profile page, or click here. Next, click "Send a Message" to privately message us! Please remember, you must be signed into the community first to send us a private message.

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Hi thank you.

I discovered that the Display Port does indeed have a USB C port included in it's pinout and is therefore capable of bi-directional communication.    It's this port that is used to send data from the sensor cameras on th the headset back to the PC.

I have been in touch with Oculus Support via email and the issue is now resolved.  I will PM to give details.

Hi, any chance I could get some more details on how you resolved this problem, I'm having the exact same issue.

natee22
Honored Guest

I'm having the same issue, can you tell me what you did to get it working on your side?

I found with mine, the first cable was faulty, had a bad USB connection. I ordered a new one from AliExpress and it was delivered faulty, It had a bad Displayport cable. I then purchased another headset from ebay which was completed and it had a good cable, I tried both headsets with the ebay cable and they both worked perfectly. So I again ordered another cable from AliExpress and it worked, however, every so often the headset glitches out with the Aliexpress cable. My conclusion is, there are 2 different types of cable, the first version is a thicker more robust cable (copper connections) BUT it has connectivity issues. The second version is fibre optic which is very fragile. The AliExpress cables, in my opinion, are returned Oculus cables, NOT NEW, so becareful. Also having the standalone powered usb hub certainly helps with the cable that glitches out.

any chance I could get some more details on how you resolved this problem, I'm having the exact same issue.

Thank You...

It looks like they mentioned the Support team was able to assist them. It would be best to get in contact either by Submitting a Ticket or sending a PM to MetaQuestSupport.

In the time of your life, live - so that in that wondrous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it.

P.S., I can beat you at One Piece TCG and Black Desert Online.