cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus quest 2 goes to sleep in a few minutes

isingo
Explorer
I'm trying to watch Amazon Prime Video on Oculus quest 2.
But after a few minutes of watching the video, the screen goes black.
After that, by pressing the power button, the screen turns on and the Video starts playing.
Perhaps it seems that not moving the head is causing a problem.
Not moving my head for a few minutes causes the same problem with the Oculus Home.

I changed the time to sleep setting to 4 hours, but it still goes to black.
After trying many things, I found that the only way to keep it from turning black was to keep moving my head.

I want to watch Video without moving.
Please let me know if you have any solutions.

67 REPLIES 67

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Actually, my Q2 just started having this problem today.  It's been fine for 3 weeks but today it started going into sleep mode every 2 minutes (with 4 hours power setting).  Very annoying for sure!  I submitted a ticket and had a chat (which did not go anywhere btw).  If this is not fixed very quickly I may just end up returning my Q2 since I only have a week left before my 30 day return window.  To bad since the Q2 is by far the best VR media viewer.  Much better than my Q1 and Go but at least they don't go to sleep every 2 minutes.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Update;  Oculus support got back to me pretty quickly and as OP have already said, they realize there is a problem and their engineers are working very hard to sort this out with a mid-November update.  Wouldn't you know that my return window is 15 Nov, lol!  Not sure what I'm going to do?  I really like the improved screen clarity of my Q2 but I'm not sure that given that the Q2 does not have any faceplate sensors to indicate that the headset is being worn (like all other Oculus headsets), I'm not sure how this is going to get fixed.  Maybe the update can include a sleep mode over-ride?
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

100PercentJim
Honored Guest

You can adjust the sleep timer in the option menu. Go to Settings-Device-Power. 

Doesn't work

isingo
Explorer
After a mid-November update, the issue was resolved

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

isingo said:

After a mid-November update, the issue was resolved

Good to hear.  I see it mentioned in the v23 release notes but it's good to get this confirmed from actual Q2 users.  Thanks mate.

I actually sent my Q2 back to the Oculus Store for a refund (which I now have already thanks to speedy Oculus support) and this was one of the reasons I returned it.  Waiting until now would have put me outside the 30 day return window and I did not want to take a chance.  I'll go back to my Q1 for now and monitor Q2 development, including Link and maybe look at picking up another one later next year.

v32 and problem is still there

lucianusagi
Honored Guest

v33, and experiencing issue when head/controllers are still for 2 minutes

this makes it impossible to do movies or any sort of relaxing/meditation with the q2, unfortunately.

i wish the auto sleep timer correlated with when the headset actually went to sleep

skipshot2k
Honored Guest

I got a headset a couple of weeks ago. It's been working fine but for the last 2 nights it suddenly started shutting off both my meditation app after a very short time of sitting still, and also my netflix app. I have been using each of them up until now without issue and have not changed any controls.  The headset randomly turns black and shuts down after an arbitrary amount of time while watching a movie/sitting still. 

Literally the only thing that has changed is the time of day and the fact that my room may be a bit darker. Could this be the cause somehow? I don't know how to the activity tracking works on the headset, but if the external cams scan the surroundings for movement to track activity,  might that have something to do with it? I have tried setting the sleep timer to 4 hours, to no avail.

This piece of crap is still doing the bug after a year, srly I regret buying that thing so much it's a **bleep**ing pain, and their next product announcements is so underwhelming srly facebook is gone and meta is crap they're gone for good.

Hey Jwalsh1998, we noticed you're experiencing the Quest 2 sleeping bug. We definitely know this is an issue, and we want to work with you to get it resolved so you can get back to gaming. If you've already tried the verified solutions in this thread, please follow up with us in a Support Ticket so we can work on a resolution. Cheers!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!