cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help: Is Oculus Quest 2 compatible with acer nitro an515-56?

smeier1980
Explorer

Dear all,

I urgently need help to understand if my niece's gaming laptop is compatible with the Oculus Quest 2. She got a VR set on her 12th birthday from a family member but it doesn't work with her gaming laptop and she's very sad.

Now we're looking for one that will work and she'd love to have the Oculus Quest 2 (we asked her to tell us which one would be the best) but we cannot for the love of god get clear information online if it would work. We'd like to avoid a second big disappointment, please help!

Specs:

Prozessor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11370H @ 3.30GHz 3.30 GHz
RAM 16.0 GB (15.8 GB verwendbar)
Systemtyp 64-Bit-Betriebssystem, x64-basierter Prozessor

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650

I know  it says NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 is not compatible with Oculus link https://store.facebook.com/en-gb/help/quest/articles/headsets-and-accessories/oculus-link/oculus-lin...

But would the laptop at least work with wireless? 

thanks so much for your help in advance 

7 REPLIES 7

Link and Airlink have the same compatibility requirements and the GTX1650 doesn't quite meet them. If you have a good strong 5GHz wifi signal you could try Virtual Desktop, which is more relaxed about hardware requirements. The 1650 is still quite a low-powered card for VR though, particularly in laptop form.

Hi there,

thanks a lot for your reply. As I'm not technically knowledgeable may I ask to clarify: If I have a strong 5GHz wifi signal, the virtual desktop would 'bybass' the problem of the oculus and the laptop not being compatible but the result (graphics) might be sub-optimal?

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Short answer = No, don't even think about it imho.  Tell her she is much better off sticking with using her Quest 2 standalone mobile VR for now.  Her current gaming laptop is probably fine for most 2d gaming.  Plenty of fun for any 12yo, lol!  

In general, laptops are very poor choices for good PCVR since their GPU's are a lot less powerful than Desktop versions.  To get decent PCVR with a laptop you really need at least a rtx3070, preferably 3080 and the cost of this is going to be very high.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Hi, thanks a lot for your reply. I should have mentioned she's a strong gamer girl so she does want to play her pc/steam games on VR. She's not too picky about crystal clear pictures but games being laggy is a bigger problem for her. 

I found this video here https://youtu.be/omUuIhSwpB0 where he tests a 1650 with oculus quest 2. It's not perfect but seems stuff is running...?

If she’s a strong gamer she isn’t going to enjoy pcvr with a laptop 1650.  If mobile VR isn’t good enough too bad.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

I would say sub-optimal at best. It's never going to be great but with a suitably fast wifi signal (and, in reality the laptop cabled to the wifi router via ethernet) she would have the option of trying out Virtual Desktop which doesn't have the same artificially-imposed hardware restrictions that Link and Airlink do. Meta set these restrictions to ensure a certain baseline for VR performance and protect their corporate image so the chances of the experience being a good one are slim, but the option to try it is there.

As you can tell from all the caveats, I don't really recommend it though.

thanks for your help. Our wifi sucks because we have ethernet sockets in each room connected to the central router so ethernet is way better for us. I will check this option further on how 'bad' it is with virtual desktop. At least it seems an option. 

Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?