cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 1 won't boot to home

Okra_Smuggler
Protege

After almost 2 years of working fine, suddenly my Quest 1 will not fully boot to home. I get the Oculus logo, then three dots, then just black. Volume and IPD slider shows in the display. If I hold the right controller button, it will circle like it's centering. If I take the headset off and put it back on, the three dots will appear for a moment. But everything else is black.

I've tried holding down power for 30 seconds.

I've tried holding power and volume down until the boot menu appears.

I've tried connecting to my PC.

I really don't want to factory reset. Is that my only option?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like we have the exact same issue. Black screen but I can see safety boundaries, volume buttons, IPD, plus audio works. I wonder if it could be something to do with an update, or user accounts? I am very reluctant to perform a factory reset as I have data on it I would like to transfer out.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like we have the exact same issue. Black screen but I can see safety boundaries, volume buttons, IPD, plus audio works. I wonder if it could be something to do with an update, or user accounts? I am very reluctant to perform a factory reset as I have data on it I would like to transfer out.

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, thanks for taking the time to troubleshoot this issue on your end. Based on the information provided, your next step likely will be a factory reset. Game data may be lost, but you will still retain all purchases and downloads, as those are attached to your account, not the unit. If after completing that the Quest still fails to boot, click here to submit a ticket so that we can look into our options to help you out. Thanks!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Hello,
After 1 month not using my Quest 1 (summer holiday) I turned it on and I have the exactly same issue as described in the forum post.
https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/Support/Quest-1-won-t-boot-to-home/m-p/872235

Tried factory reset, but won't help.
Mobile app connects, and allows factory reset, but no help.
What should i do?

Regards

I ended up having to do a factory reset. I did it from the headset itself (not using an app). If that doesn't work for you, I hope Oculus will help you get it fixed.

TabulaTouch
Honored Guest

I am sorry but in my case, after a Factory reset that doesn't solve the issue, Oculus support just replied:

"I understand how important this is for you, and I am sorry to inform you that we are unable to provide a replacement for your Quest 2 headset, as the warranty of your device is already expired. 
 It really saddens me that I'm the one to deliver this news to you and that I'm not able provide you with the resolution you were hoping for. I am eager to provide the help you need and I already tried to put it in consideration but I am also hoping for your understanding about my limitation as a technical support as I'm not able to moved onto the next process since your device warranty is already expired. 
 If you still require additional help in regards to other concern, please let me know as I still want to extend my help to the best of my ability as I want to give you nothing but the best support and assistance. Please accept my sincere apologies regarding this matter."

And this is my reply.

"Sorry but I don't understand.

I have a non working device, most probably because of firmware software issues.
The actions I could perform have already been applied: namely the "factory reset", but that is not a real reset, only wiping user data.
I see in the boot options the possibility to perform a sideload update, i was expecting your help on my issue reverting my Oculus to the original firmware, or an updated one.
What are my options if my device is out of warranty? 
I hope that is not ditching it and purchasing a new device!"

I really hope there are some other options!!!