cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 Controller Stick Drift On First Day Of Use

WebbyOyster731
Level 2

I recently got an Oculus Quest 2 on the 12th of March and I booted it up with no problems being present. I had been playing VR Chat for about 4 hours after first booting it up and my character started moving backwards by them selves. I brushed this off as it wasn't much of a nuisance at the time. I was very, very wrong. My left stick constantly suffers from immense stick drift and it drifts downwards. My right stick suffers just as much and it either wants to drift up, to the left or both. I cannot cable link my Quest 2 to the Oculus Application on my gaming pc as the drifting also prevents the controllers from pairing with the application which also prevents me from using Steam VR. I am from Australia and I purchased this Quest 2 from Oculus’ Store on Amazon Australia and I am not sure if my warranty even covers sever problems like this. 

Thank you for taking the time to read this if you did

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Stick drift is unrelated to tracking, lighting, etc. It's purely either the software has incorrect calibration values (which we don't have access to anymore), or the hardware is physically impaired (the contacts in the potentiometers are dirty or worn away). 

If the controllers are like that from the first day of use, that's definitely bad (maybe a refurbished pack).

Since you bought from Amazon, try registering a complaint with them. As a (fellow) Australian, we have the ACCC that can help if Amazon won't cooperate.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

OculusSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello WebbyOyster73. Thanks for reaching out, this isn't something we like to hear. We understand you're having  tracking issues with your controllers and how that can prevent you from enjoying your VR experience. We're more than happy to assist you and get this issue resolved as quickly as possible.  

Have you tried preforming a soft reset on your controllers? You can do this by taking out the batteries and re-putting them after 30 seconds.

The next thing we can try is unpairing and repairing your controllers. Here is how to do so; 

To unpair your controllers:

1. Open the Oculus mobile app on your phone.
  2. Tap Devices from the bottom menu.
  3. Tap on the image of the headset you currently have paired.
  4. Tap Controllers, then tap the controller that you want to unpair.
  5. Tap Unpair Controller.

To repair your controllers:

1. Open the Oculus mobile app on your phone.
  2. Tap on the image of your headset in the top left corner of your mobile app.
  3. Tap Devices in the bottom right corner of your app.
  4. Tap Controllers then tap Left or Right to choose which controller you'd like to pair.
  5. Press and hold the oculus icon and buttons on your right controller or and on your left controller until the controller LED blinks and then lights up to finalize the pairing.

The next thing we need to check on is your play area. How is the lighting? Having a too much light or too little light can cause tracking issue. Texture is also a factor with tracking. If there is not enough contrast between objects in the room, this could lead to tracking issues. Try playing in a different play area.

If this issue persist please reach back out. We're here to help!

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Stick drift is unrelated to tracking, lighting, etc. It's purely either the software has incorrect calibration values (which we don't have access to anymore), or the hardware is physically impaired (the contacts in the potentiometers are dirty or worn away). 

If the controllers are like that from the first day of use, that's definitely bad (maybe a refurbished pack).

Since you bought from Amazon, try registering a complaint with them. As a (fellow) Australian, we have the ACCC that can help if Amazon won't cooperate.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

I'll try giving Amazon a complaint and see where that takes me. Thank you so much for the help mate!

Andis3D
Level 4

I had the same problem with my old Rift S Controller, one was drifting sideways.

I use WD40 and spray it around the stick, while i´m moving and it´s gone.

....first i thought that´s a bad idea, because it´s fluid, but after some internet searching i try it and it worked.

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

In particular, WD40 make a product explicitly for this kind of thing: contact cleaner (non conductive, leaves no residue). I grabbed some from Bunnings to clean up sockets on an old Amiga motherboard, worked great.

https://www.wd40.com/products/contact-cleaner/

It's safe to spray onto electronics (well, unplug/turn them off first of course, just to be safe).

Sadly drift is a semi-common problem in the games industry. There have been class action lawsuits against Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo for stick drift on their controllers (don't know if the lawsuits went anywhere, probably not). It's just an unreliable but convenient technology that everyone uses.

Hey, did you have any luck at all? I have this exact same issue and also purchased through Amazon