cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest won't stay turned off

RHunterr
Expert Protege
So I'm having intermittent charging issues like alot of other people.  Mine seems to charge better when it is turned off... however there's a switch in the Settings to "Turn on when detecting activity", so I switched that off. Then I just turn the headset off (via the "Power down" option on-screen) when I'm done and plug it in.

The problem is that the headset doesn't usually STAY turned off. I'll go look at it a bit later after turning it off and plugging it in and I"ll see that the front "on" indicator light is light up and the headset is on. (sometimes it's in passthrough mode, some times it's giving me a message about tracking, etc.)

So what do I have to do to get this thing to stay powered down when I power it down?
46 REPLIES 46

haloharry97
Protege
Am having the same problem.

my 1st headset has controller problems so i got a full replacement, but that did not turn on when it was turned off.
this is my 2nd headset and it is turning itself on when i leave it off to charge. So idk if my 1st headset had other problems that kept it turned off or if this 2nd headset has a problem?

Maxinfinite
Honored Guest
I have two quests one for my girlfriend and one for me. Hers powers on by itself while charging, mine stays off  Very weird issue

jonamok
Honored Guest

For the first few charging cycles my Quest would basically come on randomly while powered off and charging (getting warm and vastly reducing the charging rate) and I had to keep hard-powering it off. Also happened when it hit full charge. This is with the autowake deactivated.

On the last cycle it behaved itself and stayed powered off through the full recharge to green-light, and when I pulled the USB-C out.

Seems random and clearly not an isolated case. Combine it with the >43C charging issue and it’s clear the power management of the Quest needed a little more thought.

haloharry97
Protege

jonamok said:

Seems random and clearly not an isolated case. Combine it with the >43C charging issue and it’s clear the power management of the Quest needed a little more thought.

what Do you mean by >43C charging issue?

RHunterr
Expert Protege

jonamok said:

what Do you mean by >43C charging issue?

When the Quest gets over a certain temp it won't accept a charge. Once it cools off below that temp it'll accept a charge again.

Leech205
Honored Guest
Same here. After a few minutes of sitting on the charger, it powers on. Recently I just tapped the power button and it hasn't come back on yet. We will see....

Just checked mine. The 'Turn on when detecting activity' only wakes my headset up when it's in standby, it doesn't switch it on after it's been powered off.

I haven't had it switch on by itself when charging (while it's powered off) and it doesn't seem to get hot, at least not to the point that it doesn't take a charge.

It also hasn't woken-up when in standby mode during charging that I'm aware of but I haven't left it in this stake for extended periods... I've always powered off.

So if yours is behaving differently from this, something maybe isn't quite right.

BillyDee4
Explorer
I too had the problem of my Quest turning itself on after I turned it off. This behavior meant that re-charging it took 5 or more hours. On one occasion I got a full re-charge on it, after many hours, and put it away for the night. The next morning the battery had bend drained down to about 7%. This had been happening since 5/21. I stumbled across how to do a reset, two days ago, and doing a reset seems to have fixed the problem. If you' have this problem, try doing a reset. Put on your HMD and hold down the negative volume button simultaneously with the power button for a few seconds. A menu appears that allows you to restart or restore your HMD. I chose the option to stop and restart my HMD. I have not had a problem with my HMD waking up on its own since doing this.

Som other folks with this problem have reported that the problem cleared itself after their HMD's had gone through several re-charging cycles. I don't know if restarting my HMD or the fact that I forced it through several charging cycles by monitoring if it turned itself on and turning it off when it did turn on fixed the issue. My HMD is now re-charging as expected so I'm a happy camper. If you're having this problem, I hope you get it sorted out without having to return yours.

RHunterr
Expert Protege
I've done the "stop and restart" headset thing twice now (power button and down-volume button). If we're talking about the same function, that's not a "reset" of the headset. A "factory reset" restores it to the condition it was in direct from the factory (You'd have to reinstall all your software you've downloaded, I believe).
Either way, the "stop and restart" option hasn't helped my issue.

What I *have* found so far (tested it the last two overnights, so far) is that I select the "power off" option, plug the headset in, put the microfiber towel I have over the lenses, and set it down. I almost immediately get the "charging" light indicator. However, within several minutes (I haven't timed it yet) the indicator light begins to blink between the amber "charging" color and another color (green, I think). That signifies that the headset has powered itself back on (despite me having that option turned off in Settings).
What's been working so far the past two nights is I then go and tap the power button one time and the headset shuts itself back off and continues charging (If I don't do this button-tap when I see the blinking indicator light, then an overnight on the charger only gets the headset up to about 80% charge or so... from 30%...) to 100%.
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?