cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift CV1 black screen with 6900xt

RikkiUW
Explorer

I recently upgraded my 1080ti to a 6900xt for better 4k gaming. I'm not able to get my Rift working at all since then. I can get audio fine, but I'm only seeing a black screen, as if the lenses aren't even turned on. I use a TV as my display so I have the Rift connected via a hdmi to usb-c adapter. I tried starting a game then moving unplugging the display and plugging the rift in directly and it's still the same (audio but black screen) so I don't think it's the adapter. I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software. Has anyone had any luck getting an original Rift to work with a 6000 series AMD card?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Normally I don't turn on my monitor, but just start the rig and then the Rift CV1 automatically is detected and starts up when I put on the hmd. You could try that - start the rig with CV1 connected to the HDMI-port, don't use any adaptors (and don't change connections after the rig has booted up). Or connect your monitor to DisplayPort using an adaptor for the monitor. I have my CV1 directly connected to HDMI, no adaptor. I doubt you can use a HDMI to USB-C adaptor for the CV1. 

If the above does not work, you may be in trouble:

https://support.oculus.com/articles/headsets-and-accessories/oculus-rift-s/recommended-gpu/

You could then try to contact Oculus Support. 6000 Series isn't new, strange if it's not supported. I especially bought the 3090 because I knew that it was fully supported by Oculus for my Rift CV1, and the 3090 has been working flawlessly with my CV1 - getting solid 90 fps with extreme amounts of super sampling, CV1 never looked better. Being able to fully use my CV1 is much more important than my gpu, so I'm extremely careful with gpu support. 2c.

Btw, maybe some drivers work better than others?

https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/6900-xt-5900x-quest-2-vr-perforamance/td-p/464450

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Normally I don't turn on my monitor, but just start the rig and then the Rift CV1 automatically is detected and starts up when I put on the hmd. You could try that - start the rig with CV1 connected to the HDMI-port, don't use any adaptors (and don't change connections after the rig has booted up). Or connect your monitor to DisplayPort using an adaptor for the monitor. I have my CV1 directly connected to HDMI, no adaptor. I doubt you can use a HDMI to USB-C adaptor for the CV1. 

If the above does not work, you may be in trouble:

https://support.oculus.com/articles/headsets-and-accessories/oculus-rift-s/recommended-gpu/

You could then try to contact Oculus Support. 6000 Series isn't new, strange if it's not supported. I especially bought the 3090 because I knew that it was fully supported by Oculus for my Rift CV1, and the 3090 has been working flawlessly with my CV1 - getting solid 90 fps with extreme amounts of super sampling, CV1 never looked better. Being able to fully use my CV1 is much more important than my gpu, so I'm extremely careful with gpu support. 2c.

Btw, maybe some drivers work better than others?

https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/6900-xt-5900x-quest-2-vr-perforamance/td-p/464450

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Thanks, yeah you're right it's the hdmi to usb-c that doesn't work. The TV I use is 4k 120Hz and I haven't seen any adapters that work for that, but I can swap it to the usb-c adapter and it works no problem, freeing up the hdmi port for the headset. I hadn't considered just not connecting the TV, that's an interesting idea. I'm playing modded SkyrimVR right now though and it has to start from the mod manager so I don't think it'd work in that case, but it's definitely worth keeping in mind for other games. Thanks for your help!