cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift-S Crashes are Caused by Audio Drivers

FlavoredWhistle
Explorer

I have had the Rift-S for years now and it has always had issues, it has never just worked, from everyone that I have spoken to, this seems to be the norm.

I have encountered many issues and most of them have been resolved. Support has sent me an entirely new Rift-S in the past (new box, new HMD, new controllers, cable, everything) and after this, they went on to replace both of my controllers at no cost to me, I even got myself one of those USB-3 PCIE cards. Still my headset crashes and I am not the only one in this situation. Recently I have encountered a cue as to what may be causing the crashes.

I decided to uninstall oculus and delete all oculus folders (under user/AppData) in preparation for a clean install and finally I had a crash free experience for a couple of days, it was wonderful, but my audio was not working right if at all, I also noticed my Mic was too loud and adjusting it did nothing, though SteamVR Audio worked great (aside from the microphone) I thought it must be the audio drivers so I ran the driver program in Oculus/Support folder, and my audio was suddenly fixed, but the crashes came back! I noticed in the console window of the game that I was playing that the crash event happened immediately after "Default Audio Driver Changed" whatever that means. I tried doing a clean re-install again, but it did not work this time, my oculus audio drivers work perfectly fine and the crashes look like they too are here to stay, since they are inseperable from one another.

Can someone from support look into this matter? From what I can tell, every single Rift-S owner is facing these same issues and we have all (support included) been through the ringer trying to get this headset to stop malfuntioning, I think we may be able to break new ground here if we start heading towards this direction. It makes sense that the issue would be software related because I have had my hardware replaced before, to no avail, and my evidence points, most obviously, specifically at the Oculus Audio Drivers.

I really enjoy my Rift-S when it works, it would be a shame if we never get to see it's full potential after all this effort.

24 REPLIES 24

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, friend!

We definitely hate to hear about your troubles! But goodness gracious thank you so much for going into detail like this! Because of it, we're able to truly understand what's going on. From what we we're able to pick around and see, it seems this is a combination of some internal components. For us to be able take a look into your system we'll need to collect your log files. However once the files are collected we'll have you move on over to the main support channel where they have the proper tools for analyzing your systems data. Let's press forward and see what's going on!

Here are the steps to gather your logs:

1.Open the Run window (Windows key + R).
2.Enter and run: C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusLogGatherer.exe
       *The above link is the default directory. Bear in mind that if you installed Oculus Home to another drive you will need to update the command with the correct file path.
3.Select the checkbox next to ‘Full logs’.
4.Select "1 day" from the "Collect last" drop down list.
5.Wait for the log collection to finish. This can take some time to complete.
6.The program will automatically generate a zip file containing your logs, which will be saved to your desktop automatically.
7.Attach the newly created zip file to your next support response.

Once you have that all collected and ready, we'll get you over that previously mentioned support channel here: https://metaque.st/Support. Rest assured you'll be well taken care of by one of our awesome agents!

Please do come back and let us and the community know what you found out!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Will we create a ticket here to save an explaination, or should I just head over to support on my own and refer them to this post?

Hi again! You would head over to support, explain your issue and include your logs in that ticket. You can copy/paste your explanation from here. 

We look forward to hearing from you on the other side!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

MegaFailTron
Explorer

Can you keep me updated on this issue, i have noticed non steam VR lasts longer before it crashes and i have the oculus mic disabled as when it is on it crashes way more often. I am about to ask for support and upload logs also myself, Thanx Guys.

That’s interesting, I notice that my sessions last longer when I disable the Oculus Virtual Audio Driver (Headphones) in device manager. I wonder if turning them both off is doubly effective

So talking to support is not going as planned I tried explaining that I want to be connected to someone who can look into the audio drivers and they gave me the go around (try restarting the computer, unplug it and wait 5 seconds). They are now trying to replace my headset, which I never asked for, nor was I planning to, as my warranty expired years ago. It looks like the community is going to have to take this matter into our own hands.

If support would be so kind as to spread the word that disabling the Oculus Audio Drivers seems to have cured most of my crashes, where nothing else would. This would be beneficial as I haven’t seen this mentioned by anyone else on here or anywhere else at all. To be sure, I have only tried disabling the Oculus Headset (Oculus Virtual Device) but I have had good results in doing so.

I have disabled all oculus auido devices virtual and actual. I never used the oculus headphones or microphone anyway, i will post if this helps. I also read a similar thread that speaks about MSI usb drivers and im looking into that also as i have an MSI mobo and my issue is solved by reconnecting the oculus usb , it usually reconnects shortly after but it is punishing to the usb connection physicaly. I have my fingers crossed for us.

No Change still crashing as much as ever.

Hey there @MegaFailTron! We'd like to help you out with getting to the bottom of this! We'd like for you to head over to our support site: https://store.facebook.com/help/support/ and submit a ticket with your logs so it can help us pinpoint what could be causing the crashing.

To collect logs:

1. Open the Run window (Windows key + R).
  2. Enter and run: C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusLogGatherer.exe
    • The above link is the default directory. Bear in mind that if you installed the Oculus PC app to another drive you will need to update the command with the correct file path.
  3. Select the checkbox next to ‘Full logs’.
  4. Select "1 day" from the "Collect last" drop down list.
  5. Wait for the log collection to finish. This can take some time to complete.
  6. The program will automatically generate a zip file containing your logs, which will be saved to your desktop.
  7. Attach the newly created zip file to your next support response.