cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S Dead Cable and now essentally ewaste

DonnyIsASickDog
Level 3

have had the Rift S for basically 2 years now and would constantly freeze the content on screen and audio, go to a black screen and produce white noise and would come back (sometimes) but with no audio.

I have reinstalled all drivers, reinstalled windows, have gotten a new GPU (2060s to 3070), re plugged the cable (headset and PC even using different ports) and when i tried to set it up again today, my audio was distorting like before (discord and sounds from the Oculus app) and it would go black and produce white noise (it did this twice)

now i have the choice of paying $200aud for a new cable from eBay which eventually do the same thing or i can try and sell the rift s online and listing it essentially as not usable.

this is quite pathetic for a product to break and become unusable after spending $600+ on it and not even having any support.

would love to hear back from support on this issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

FunkyTanuki
Meta Quest Support
Meta Quest Support

Cables go out. That's just the life of a gamer. I'm right there with you though, it sucks when this happens. It sounds like the headset itself may still be good though so your best bet is the talk to support through a support ticket. Either they will pinpoint the issue or lay out all the options available to you. I'll drop the link HERE. Good luck!

"Swap meat for chrome, live a BD fantasy, whatever, but at the end of it all, it's the code you live by that defines who you are. " - Johnny Silverhand

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Have you tried using a powered usb hub? The Rift-S is rather power hungry and motherboards can be borderline at supporting it. (Using one fixed my Rift-S, and I've seen others have the same)

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Well that doesn't make much sense. Ive had the headset for 2 years now and it only started doing all this during the 2nd year. i doubt its running power hungry and really don't want to spend anymore money on this when i shouldn't have to. but thank you at least for giving an idea.

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Sorry. Your first sentence implies this has been constantly happening for 2 years.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

FunkyTanuki
Meta Quest Support
Meta Quest Support

Cables go out. That's just the life of a gamer. I'm right there with you though, it sucks when this happens. It sounds like the headset itself may still be good though so your best bet is the talk to support through a support ticket. Either they will pinpoint the issue or lay out all the options available to you. I'll drop the link HERE. Good luck!

"Swap meat for chrome, live a BD fantasy, whatever, but at the end of it all, it's the code you live by that defines who you are. " - Johnny Silverhand

You're all good. i should've written that better tbh

just submitted a ticket. lets see how this goes

CobaltEight
Level 3

My cable that came with the headset started going out just about a year after purchasing the Rift S back in 2019. Same symptoms and the ONLY WAY is RMAing or buying a new cable, its stupid and the new cable I got has lasted twice as long and counting. I'm convinced that there was a revision to the cables.