cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S - I can constantly see a faint still of the guardian setup

Para94
Honored Guest

Hey there,

I put on my Rift S today and the screen was flickering black at the bottom and I can see a faint image of the guardian setup, almost like a screen burn in, it's quite transparent but very noticeable.

I changed DP ports and that seemed to get rid of the flickering but the image still persists.

I do leave the Rift plugged in and the only real change I can think of is I bought some new lense covers 2 days ago.

Any help would be much appreciated thanks 🙂  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

kojack
MVP
MVP

LCD screens can get image retention, which is basically like burn in (but different actual cause).

Here's an article from  Samsung talking about LCD image retention and burn in: https://www.samsung.com/za/support/tv-audio-video/are-lcd-tvs-subject-to-screen-burn-in

They say a static image for more than 2 hours can damage the screen.

I don't know who makes the panel in the Rift-S, but the Rift CV1 uses Samsung panels (OLED, which is even more sensitive to retention).

The headset screen should be off when you aren't wearing it. If you have lens covers, make sure they aren't interfering with the little face sensor in the centre and above the lenses.

Another thing that can trigger it is face covers, like from VR Cover. The cloth can hang down a tiny bit, tripping the face sensor, forcing the headset to stay on.

Generally LCD image retention should fade over time, but it can become permanent if the image is there too long. I'd say try using it with some brightly coloured experiences for a while and see if it remains.

Leaving the Rift plugged in should be fine. My CV1 and Rift-S are almost always plugged in. I just have to make sure nothing is messing with the face sensor. One sign of that is the Oculus Desktop software not staying shut down (like you clode it, but it opens again).

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

kojack
MVP
MVP

LCD screens can get image retention, which is basically like burn in (but different actual cause).

Here's an article from  Samsung talking about LCD image retention and burn in: https://www.samsung.com/za/support/tv-audio-video/are-lcd-tvs-subject-to-screen-burn-in

They say a static image for more than 2 hours can damage the screen.

I don't know who makes the panel in the Rift-S, but the Rift CV1 uses Samsung panels (OLED, which is even more sensitive to retention).

The headset screen should be off when you aren't wearing it. If you have lens covers, make sure they aren't interfering with the little face sensor in the centre and above the lenses.

Another thing that can trigger it is face covers, like from VR Cover. The cloth can hang down a tiny bit, tripping the face sensor, forcing the headset to stay on.

Generally LCD image retention should fade over time, but it can become permanent if the image is there too long. I'd say try using it with some brightly coloured experiences for a while and see if it remains.

Leaving the Rift plugged in should be fine. My CV1 and Rift-S are almost always plugged in. I just have to make sure nothing is messing with the face sensor. One sign of that is the Oculus Desktop software not staying shut down (like you clode it, but it opens again).

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Thanks for the detailed response! I found that using the lense cover turned on the headset (complete oversight on my part!) And for some reason Oculus recently has kept asking me to re-do my guardian setup so that explains why the image was of that! I left it completely turned off for a whole day and it's completely fine now. Thank you again for the reply!