cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S controllers

rhrichts
Honored Guest

are the inboard side buttons suppose to function? the ones that would be used by the thumb action. mine seem to do nothing

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

kojack
MVP
MVP

Those are Rift-S / Quest 1 controllers (both of those headsets use the same model).

All of those controls should work, but its up to each game to decide what they do.

The ABXY buttons have obvious names. The less obvious ones are:

- little flat button on the left controller with 3 white lines is the menu button

- little flat button on the right controller with oculus logo is the home or oculus button

- the smooth moving triggers on the side of each controller for your middle finger are the grip triggers,

- The front smooth triggers are the index triggers

Some of the other Oculus controllers (not compatible with Rift-S or Quest 1) have an extra area on top where you can rest your thumb, that's what I was talking about previously. It can detect your thumb being there even though it's not a physical button and do stuff in games with it, but the Rift-S is missing it.

If you want to test all functions of the controllers to make sure something isn't broken (I can see the right controller has already been cracked and glued back together), you can try my Oculus Monitor software: https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/Games-and-Apps/Oculus-Monitor-v0-2-2-27-Mar-20/td-p/708659

It's a diagnostic tool that shows every button and trigger as they are used. (Except the home button, they won't let programmers see that button, only Meta can access it)

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

RoastPork
Retired Support

Hey there! Each button should have a function based on the game. Could you drop a picture in this thread showing which button you're talking about? Thanks!

Genesis does what Nintendon't! Send me a DM if you have questions. I'm happy to help!

kojack
MVP
MVP

Do you mean the thumb rest capacitive pad? Only the Rift CV1 and Quest 2 have that, the Rift-S and Quest 1 controllers are missing it.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

rhrichts
Honored Guest

tried to upload image  but blocked

when you hold the controller on the inboard side where the thumb rests is the button in question

maybe the controllers that came with the used headset aren't even the ones that are suppose to with it

thanks

rich

rhrichts
Honored Guest

also Roastpork mentioned each game has its own functions,  maybe in X-Plane 11 they are not used

thanks

rich

when flying today i noticed on the controller was "XVR" on base end of controller is this the right controllers for the Rift S????

Could you DM me with a picture of your controller so I can answer your question?

Genesis does what Nintendon't! Send me a DM if you have questions. I'm happy to help!

IMG_20221006_174455478.jpg

kojack
MVP
MVP

Those are Rift-S / Quest 1 controllers (both of those headsets use the same model).

All of those controls should work, but its up to each game to decide what they do.

The ABXY buttons have obvious names. The less obvious ones are:

- little flat button on the left controller with 3 white lines is the menu button

- little flat button on the right controller with oculus logo is the home or oculus button

- the smooth moving triggers on the side of each controller for your middle finger are the grip triggers,

- The front smooth triggers are the index triggers

Some of the other Oculus controllers (not compatible with Rift-S or Quest 1) have an extra area on top where you can rest your thumb, that's what I was talking about previously. It can detect your thumb being there even though it's not a physical button and do stuff in games with it, but the Rift-S is missing it.

If you want to test all functions of the controllers to make sure something isn't broken (I can see the right controller has already been cracked and glued back together), you can try my Oculus Monitor software: https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/Games-and-Apps/Oculus-Monitor-v0-2-2-27-Mar-20/td-p/708659

It's a diagnostic tool that shows every button and trigger as they are used. (Except the home button, they won't let programmers see that button, only Meta can access it)

Thanks kojack appreciate your efforts