cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sensor repeatedly disconnects / reconnects - I've tried everything. "RepeatedCatastrophicFailure"

CarpeDmt
Level 2
hey there, Oculus!

This started back up just a few days ago, and I could not for the life of me tell you why. 

Months ago, like many of you, I was experiencing issues with my rift sensor- wherein it would repeatedly connect and disconnect, displaying the error "Oculus has detected a hardware issue..." etc etc.

For whatever reason, an oculus update fixed the issue, and I and the hundreds of others it affected were silenced. As of a couple of days ago, this error reared its ugly head once more, this time en force. I cannot access any Oculus store applications without repeatedly being forced back to a menu, telling me that my sensor has hardware issues. 

I've reinstalled oculus, gone into regedit and tweaked the necessary line endings, I've disabled windows' ability to manage the power of my USB hubs and oculus' sensor array- I've deleted, undeleted, and redeleted the AppData local/locallow oculus files and basically everything else the internet has offered me in terms of a solution. nothing is working! 
6 REPLIES 6

CarpeDmt
Level 2
"your sensor isn't working properly. Please check device settings." switches to "We can't find your sensor. Please connect your sensor." every few seconds. This is true whether I'm connected to a USB 2.0 or USB 3.0. 

Sometimes the "settings-devices" panel of the oculus software will say that my sensor is connected and working, but weirdly enough it only seems to start to wig out when I start to put on my HMD. Just holding the HMD in front of the sensor is enough to trigger the errors. 

Please help. I need to get back to work. 

CarpeDmt
Level 2
when I look at my rift sensor in the Oculus settings / devices panel, the sensor is listed as error. When I mouse over the error symbol, I get "RepeatedCatastrophicFailure". hence the title of this thread. Please help however you can. 

XMerc
Level 5
The sensor is very sensitive to different USB ports it seems...mine constantly gets disconnects over any USB 3.0 port on my PCIe cards but seems to work fine on my onboard USB 2.0 ports.

CarpeDmt
Level 2
Hey there XMerc, I have heard the same. But regardless of the USB port I connect to, the sensor fails. It's quite frustrating! Have you ever had any similar issues..? What did you do to fix it?

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

XMerc said:

The sensor is very sensitive to different USB ports it seems...mine constantly gets disconnects over any USB 3.0 port on my PCIe cards but seems to work fine on my onboard USB 2.0 ports.

The same here. I have an Asus P9x79 Deluxe motherboard. The back usb 3 ports failed to detect at all. The front usb 3 ports do the disconnect/connect cycle. But the sensor works fine in the usb 2 ports.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

CarpeDmt
Level 2
I've got an old asus board too...So, is the consensus that i should just buy a new motherboard, then...? That's quite the bummer. Please help, @cybereality . I posted my logs in the previous couple of comments. Is there anything else i can do?