cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So we apparently have two common issues with the Rift S

Arock387
Heroic Explorer
Is the launch batches just bad?  

Many people are experiencing white flashes intermittent on their headsets, me included.  they occur not often.  But at least every few hours you may get a couple.  They dont last long but a split second.  Still something to worry about

The other is the controller grip release lag.  Doesnt happen all the time.  More rare than the flashes.  Some think the style of the controller is a magnetic hallway actuator and that the magnetic battery door is effecting the grip button.  In which case that's an objective hardware issue and would actually require modification in manufacturing.

Has anyone found fixes for these?  Are these fixed by software or are people finding luck doing warranty?
10 REPLIES 10

Lethal_Aims
Adventurer

Digikid1
Consultant
More than just two. 

White screen issues
Black screen issues 
Shitty tracking issues ( bad controller design and blind spots in the cameras)

Oculus clearly did not think out these new designs very well. 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Digikid1 said:

More than just two. 

White screen issues
Black screen issues 

Totally agree. I also have to question how Oculus expect to get more people into VR, if some of their loyal customers don't like the new tracking due to it's limitations and have started to look else where? That's before we even get into the issues with black & white display problems and audio.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I agree that the two 'main' unresolved Rift S issues are occasional white flashes and controller grip lag.

The occasional white flash is an issue that Oculus is working hard to fix and hopefully will be able to be done with new firmware.

The grip lag issue has already been shown within the thread you cited to be a calibration error.  Some, including myself, found that removing the controller battery covers helped reduce this.  I'm sure Oculus will find a way to allow users to recalibrate their controllers and/or they will provide a software fix.

Other problems cited, while not unimportant, are probably mainly problems associated with non-recommended hardware (including multiple monitors), outdated drivers,  outdated Windows updates, and user errors imho.  

I don't mean to be critical to new Rift S users because I appreciate that it's a big ask for people without VR experience to properly perform a correct setup.  In this regard, I agree that Oculus should have tried to make this process a little more user friendly.

Tracking is not really and issue imho.  Expecting the Rift S's inside/out tracking to perform as well as Rift cv1 with 3x sensors is pretty unrealistic.  I used WMR for 5-6 months last year and it's tracking was ~ the same as the Rift S.  I'm sure that Oculus will continue to improve it's inside/out tracking algorithms but it's never going to allow you to shoot arrows and pick your nose at the same time, lol!
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

TomCgcmfc said:

Tracking is not really and issue imho.  Expecting the Rift S's inside/out tracking to perform as well as Rift cv1 with 3x sensors is pretty unrealistic.  I used WMR for 5-6 months last year and it's tracking was ~ the same as the Rift S.  I'm sure that Oculus will continue to improve it's inside/out tracking algorithms but it's never going to allow you to shoot arrows and pick your nose at the same time, lol!

@TomCgcmfc -  So if tracking isn't an issue then why are some people complaining about it? When I purchased games from the Oculus Store I had no idea Oculus were going to change PC -VR into inside out tracking. It ruined a lot of games for me and for that reason I'll be buying what games I can from Steam from now on.
I'm looking to get a proper tracking system without limitations and the Valve index looks like it's going to offer that.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I’m sure the vast majority of Oculus store apps will run fine with inside out tracking.  In fact many will probably work better than many .2x sensor cv1’s.  

Also all flight and racing sims sims should work fine.

If you find Oculus store games that do not work well with your Rift S maybe ask Oculus support for a refund.

Good luck with your Valve Index.  I’ll be keeping an eye out on this as well.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

RedRizla said:

Digikid1 said:

More than just two. 

White screen issues
Black screen issues 

Totally agree. I also have to question how Oculus expect to get more people into VR, if some of their loyal customers don't like the new tracking due to it's limitations and have started to look else where? That's before we even get into the issues with black & white display problems and audio.

Also don't forget what Oculus said to me when I messaged them on Twitter...

"We COULD enable constellation tracking...BUT it would take a lot of work"...

What a joke, I don't care how much work it takes them, they should enable Constellation tracking ASAP and stop messing us about.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@TomCgcmfc - You can't get refunds on games purchased from the Oculus Store that you have had for sometime. Due to inside out tracking that Oculus brought to PC -VR and it's limitations that is what has broken some of these games. Now they are just relying on game devs to go back to their games and try to fix them.
Oculus should have tested these games themselves and saw that they didn't work with this type of tracking instead of just expecting games devs to fix something they didn't break. I'm not even sure all these game devs will go back and fix them unless there's an incentive to do so with older games.
Anyways, that is all I have to say on the matter, it is what it is and I've learnt a lesson.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
Yeah the only game devs that will probably go to this trouble are the one's where the games are still selling or still quite popular multiplayer base.

As far as I know Onward devs added a fix in their game but I don't know about any other devs.

Many of us have 100's of games in our library, I doubt most will be patched with work arounds.

We probably shouldn't even call it a fix because it's more of a workaround really.

TBH I laughed out loud when I heard what the devs had to do to Onward to help solve this issue with tracking. This is a complete joke.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!