cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Three Black Dots? Please Read

Sku77s
Protege

TL:DR toward the bottom

I'm gathering info to work on this. I'm sore to be out 400 and until I get the money for a new vr headset this will be my new game.

Here are my suspicions, after digging around the logs personally and comparing with issues found by people who have messed with the Rift S/Rift earlier on and had this specific error happen and were able to reproduce it easily. 

The last update seems to have bricked quite a few Rift/Rift S headsets into displaying the dot loading loop.

Days of digging into that specific error "three dots with sound and occasionally tracking hands" can be attributed to a bad bitrate.

These same problems do happened when "home" was corrupted but that can easily be fixed by deleting the local, locallow, and roaming oculus folders. So if you want you can try that too, I did see my controllers after doing this.

But more often when users changed the bitrate being used via Oculus Debug Tool. That's when get the specific: dots, hands, sound combo. I'm assuming this to be a much harder fix when its changed outside of the user doing it themselves with the tool supplied. 

I'm leaning heavily toward this because the last update also changed the bitrates and I imagine the way they were handled (ergo options not supplied by said tool) too improve AirPlay and Link connection with the Quest 2 and I guess the Rift and Rift S.

As it stands my headset is three dots/sound and I can get hands that rotate but don't 'move' by removing the home data.

Bingo, that means the controller sensors are good its specifically the cameras that have died, supports the usb log and research so far. 

So I can reproduce a "bad bitrate loading loop" but my headsets sensor have had all their metadata wiped with this last update. So I have no idea where the start point was or is now for changing it back and don't really want to send the tool to make changes a sensor it can't read the metadata of.

Oculus Setup knows their are Oculus sensors in the device, it knows that device is a Rift S, but it cannot tell that it is a Rift S Camera Sensor and cannot place its location on the device.

You can check this by removing the device from the app, and plugging it back in. It should say hey you have a Rift/S do you wanna set it up and such. So its ID'ing the device itself just fine, just not the sensor parts in it.

Its like Oculus decided to quite literally stop supporting the sensors in the headset the day the update dropped. Or accidentally changed the settings bricking older devices when they released the performance update to their newest one.

I'm hoping it just some form of corrupted metadata or simply a changed bitrate so the USB is just reading nonsense. It knows its talking 'Oculus' but its either way to fast or way to slow to match to the sensors its expecting in a Rift S.

Maybe eventually someone will stumble on the right settings or the proper metadata to get it going again.

If we could get an older update and had said metadata we could do that and then use the tool to set the original bitrates or at least a bitrate that has been confirmed to work.

If it works then we know the last update breaks sensors on certain models and can move forward from there. But I would like to see a few people with a usb log similar to mine before I dedicate some time to hunting down files and information to try this.

TL::DR
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If you have the Three Dot issue could you compare the top portion of your OculusUSBSummary with this?

=====================
Analysis Section
=====================
(1) Number of Oculus USB Devices = 11
(2) Number of Oculus 'Rift Sensor' USB Devices = 0
(2A) Number of Oculus 'Rift Sensor' USB Devices (USB_3) = 0
(2B) Number of Oculus 'Rift Sensor' USB Devices (non USB_3) = 0
(3) Number of Oculus 'Camera' USB Devices = 0
(3A) Number of Oculus 'Camera' USB Devices (USB_3) = 0
(3B) Number of Oculus 'Camera' USB Devices (non USB_3) = 0
(4A) Number of Oculus Devices with Manufacturer is set to Oculus = 0
(4B) Number of Oculus Devices without proper manufacturer metadata = 11

Specifically 4B, have the metadata of the sensors headsets with this issue been wiped? If so just reply with a "yes mine has" or "no mine hasnt".
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm starting at the pc end of the usb connection and moving through the device from there instead of tackling the whole log at once. The issue has been seen before so I'll start there and lets see if that's the cause: bitrate.

PC sees the headset, sees oculus sensors, so we know we have a connection. The cords good we have 3d hands so 'video feed', sound, and controllers are motion tracking.

If the metadata is gone, then so is its device info to say 'hey i need this bitrate' right?

If so is that wipe tied to the recent updates and are specific batch numbers effected?

Because its one thing to stop supporting a device, its another to destroy it while its sitting on the already-paid end users desk with no notice and no remedy.

And that what user seem to be reporting.

"I came home, hadn't played in a while and wanted to. I updated and then could never operate the device again"

Sadly I think at this point it falls to users to gather data and crowd-source a solution and restore the headsets to working order ourselves as Oculus has stated they will not support the Rift series further.

Or move on to a different manufacturer or a new Oculus device. 

If Oculus Support or anyone with the update files for V27 or earlier sees this please contact me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

UPDATE: Oculus has returned with this email.

bandicam 2021-09-13 21-04-47-344.jpg

 Now not only have I already supplied this information when the ticket began, I also raised a ticket in April and was turned down for a replacement then when their best advice was an out-of-date usb driver and to turn off my keyboard and mouse.

I will be attempting the V27 install and seeing how that goes as I have now zero faith in any Oculus product and any "support" Oculus offers is only to meet the minimum required to avoid legal recourse.
ERGO: They know all they have to say is: "We would have replaced it but the user was out of warranty. It is quite unfortunate that the device stopped working, but we no longer support it."

I am now very heavily leaning towards Oculus's statement of "Not Supporting the Rift S Any Further" To also mean "Not Supporting The Rift S and Beginning The Process of Phasing Older Sensor Models Out Of Oculus's Ecosystem"

I imagine certain models of Rift S have certain brands of sensors capable of X bitrates and the newer(last production run) Rift S camera sensors capable of a higher bitrate. Now with the introduction of AirPlay and newer improved Link cables the older model sensors will simply be dropped.

With NO warning to the consumer.

If anyone has a working Rift S and is willing to supply logs and working sensor models please contact me immediately as this is unacceptable. At this point if it sounds worth it I may even purchase it from the user for investigating hard evidence that this was a planned phase of development that purchasers were unaware of. Oculus may have been unaware they intended to do this when they made the device then, but that does not excuse their destruction now.

You can stop supporting my Rift S, that does not give you the right to break it. If the metadata was wiped and is not contained in an older update this was purposeful destruction of my property through an Oculus Update.

Its not like the sensor says [SensorModel: Unsupported] it says [SensorModel: ] something was removed or changed with the update that altered my device to make it nonfunctional.

That is absolutely not acceptable Oculus. Especially seeing as you have users who are waiting over a month for a replacement already and you have stopped producing the model you need to replace. Besides if your intention is to quite literally kill devices after a period what is the point in another Rift S? The logical course of action to stay with Oculus would be to move to the newest possible model equivalent to what I had, the Quest 2.

Frankly if that's the case I would rather have a check written out for a Vive or Index instead. As you grossly misunderstand what the PC consumer is looking for in a VR headset or any of their components. Industry standard on most part warranties span 3-8 years depending on manufacturer and part, Corsair has 8 years plus for some PSU's and EVGA even has a second user warranty. We expect our parts to last unless we are doing the "dumb" such as overclocking or watercooling. We analyze and decide based on risk to reward. I risked it in august of 2020 thinking Oculus intended to create a long lasting, standing-sensor free, gaming headset. I was rewarded with a paperweight in a year and 1 month. 

I flat out will never again support a VR platform that intends to use a even faster paced "console/i-phone" device ecosystem of: develop fast, support never and drop early. The Rift S saw support for barely 2 years and a quick browse of google will show its been a flurry of usb issues that never saw an improvement to the device. Just a request that the user begin to purchase cards, and hubs as you failed to support the Rift S even then. Relying on third-party solutions and blaming motherboard manufacturers for bad power.

This is now being repeated with the Quest 2, go buy an entire dedicated router just to get AirPlay functioning 4 updates in and all you have to show are broken Rift S's.

I want an explanation, an official statement of why with two models of headsets you have failed to steadily produce a working model that operates without standalone third-party solutions. And the solutions you have offered update wise have yet to show steady results, not only are the Quest 2 devices still not working as advertised with AirPlay alone you are summarily destroying Rift S headsets,

Thats why the dropping of Support was unexpected. You have realized you can't or simply won't support certain models of Rift S and the newer Quest 2 on the same platform.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

Sku77s
Protege

Update. Simply turning on Airplay even though im not using it?

Now no three dots, it knows the dash has crashed.

Oculus are you reading this?

hit the button to reset dash as asked, dash popped up for a second then three dots. something is wrong with the bitrate and airplay effecting rift S confirmed?

Sku77s
Protege

bandicam 2021-09-12 17-17-59-485.jpg

bandicam 2021-09-12 17-23-29-256.jpg

 I'm genuinely sorry i did your job for you oculus support but you take to long to look into a error that was already seen before and can be caused by settings you recently updated.

Also who waits this long after this many users are reporting completely bricked devices that were working fine before hand and have no actual damage? 

A few hours of dedicated reading into the logs, checking against known errors and what caused them, verifying those solutions. Finally cross check against recent changes to the device.

Simply changing one setting: AIRPLAY which I never asked for never wanted and was TURNED OFF in my app brought my cameras back long enough to show the pass-through and a failed dash.

But its apparently either hardset dynamic now or the original bitrate for a Rift S still isn't set.

Starting to sound like V27 will restore some Rift S to working order, anything before airplay changes unless the latest update actual made the working bitrate unobtainable in which case this is a on-purpose destruction of the users property enforcing a bitrate change that wouldn't work.

Sku77s
Protege

yea the sensors have had their data wiped

12/09 18:11:05.742 {WARNING} [KMCore] [VISION][VIPER] Loading noise parameters from config. [SensorModel: ]

jagoguerra
Explorer

Im not a developer, and I don't really know how to check if my sensor data has been "wiped out". But Im having the same issues with the 3 dots of death, hands able to rotate but not move, and sound. I will try downgrading the software to v27.  Here is a list of older OCulus software if your interested, a great member of the community posted it online. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ZC5_jeDcmR1NfT4yrmZ2Y2YW1K-VdEW8

Hello, we hate to hear that you are still dealing with the same issue of the 3 dots. We're glad to help! If you have not done so, please collect your Oculus logs and submit a support ticket here so that we can assist you further. 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Many thanks for the link. I will try installing V27 tonight. If you beat me too it please update us with the results as Oculus is now saying they want the information to replace my headset which makes me think they do not intend to fix the issue if it is possible or that it simply isnt possibly to restore the data that fills that particular string [SensorModel: ] which is now left blank.

UPDATE: Oculus has returned with this email.

bandicam 2021-09-13 21-04-47-344.jpg

 Now not only have I already supplied this information when the ticket began, I also raised a ticket in April and was turned down for a replacement then when their best advice was an out-of-date usb driver and to turn off my keyboard and mouse.

I will be attempting the V27 install and seeing how that goes as I have now zero faith in any Oculus product and any "support" Oculus offers is only to meet the minimum required to avoid legal recourse.
ERGO: They know all they have to say is: "We would have replaced it but the user was out of warranty. It is quite unfortunate that the device stopped working, but we no longer support it."

I am now very heavily leaning towards Oculus's statement of "Not Supporting the Rift S Any Further" To also mean "Not Supporting The Rift S and Beginning The Process of Phasing Older Sensor Models Out Of Oculus's Ecosystem"

I imagine certain models of Rift S have certain brands of sensors capable of X bitrates and the newer(last production run) Rift S camera sensors capable of a higher bitrate. Now with the introduction of AirPlay and newer improved Link cables the older model sensors will simply be dropped.

With NO warning to the consumer.

If anyone has a working Rift S and is willing to supply logs and working sensor models please contact me immediately as this is unacceptable. At this point if it sounds worth it I may even purchase it from the user for investigating hard evidence that this was a planned phase of development that purchasers were unaware of. Oculus may have been unaware they intended to do this when they made the device then, but that does not excuse their destruction now.

You can stop supporting my Rift S, that does not give you the right to break it. If the metadata was wiped and is not contained in an older update this was purposeful destruction of my property through an Oculus Update.

Its not like the sensor says [SensorModel: Unsupported] it says [SensorModel: ] something was removed or changed with the update that altered my device to make it nonfunctional.

That is absolutely not acceptable Oculus. Especially seeing as you have users who are waiting over a month for a replacement already and you have stopped producing the model you need to replace. Besides if your intention is to quite literally kill devices after a period what is the point in another Rift S? The logical course of action to stay with Oculus would be to move to the newest possible model equivalent to what I had, the Quest 2.

Frankly if that's the case I would rather have a check written out for a Vive or Index instead. As you grossly misunderstand what the PC consumer is looking for in a VR headset or any of their components. Industry standard on most part warranties span 3-8 years depending on manufacturer and part, Corsair has 8 years plus for some PSU's and EVGA even has a second user warranty. We expect our parts to last unless we are doing the "dumb" such as overclocking or watercooling. We analyze and decide based on risk to reward. I risked it in august of 2020 thinking Oculus intended to create a long lasting, standing-sensor free, gaming headset. I was rewarded with a paperweight in a year and 1 month. 

I flat out will never again support a VR platform that intends to use a even faster paced "console/i-phone" device ecosystem of: develop fast, support never and drop early. The Rift S saw support for barely 2 years and a quick browse of google will show its been a flurry of usb issues that never saw an improvement to the device. Just a request that the user begin to purchase cards, and hubs as you failed to support the Rift S even then. Relying on third-party solutions and blaming motherboard manufacturers for bad power.

This is now being repeated with the Quest 2, go buy an entire dedicated router just to get AirPlay functioning 4 updates in and all you have to show are broken Rift S's.

I want an explanation, an official statement of why with two models of headsets you have failed to steadily produce a working model that operates without standalone third-party solutions. And the solutions you have offered update wise have yet to show steady results, not only are the Quest 2 devices still not working as advertised with AirPlay alone you are summarily destroying Rift S headsets,

Thats why the dropping of Support was unexpected. You have realized you can't or simply won't support certain models of Rift S and the newer Quest 2 on the same platform.

pmneto
Explorer

yes, mine has