cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

‘We’re having trouble starting oculus’ fault.

Lawsy94
Honored Guest
hey guys, I’ve had a read up on this forum and found many situations of people having this error, and I’m experiencing the same fault. I’ll start with current specs:
CPU - AMD FX 8350 4.2ghz O.C. 8 core
8Gb DDR3 1333mhz Ram.
gigabyte 78LMT-USB3.0 R2 Mobo.
Nvidia gtx 260 1GB DDR5 card
plenty of storage, 1.2Tb
Win 10 home edition, x64, probably the latest update, since they do one every 30 seconds.

now, I’ve bought my Rift cheap and ideally just wanted to test it incase I needed to sell it on, but after reviewing a few VR games, I’m happy to keep it, so I installed the software on my works laptop, as I knew the PC wasn’t man enough, software installed fine, couldn’t find HDMI (integrates GPU).
but when I install the software on my desktop, immediately after install, I get the error shown, We’re having trouble starting oculus’. I’ve read the forums, checked that OVRservice is running, restarted many times, no avail.
run compat tool, know that the GPU is under specced, but seen reviews of people using similar or older cards, and having it ‘work’, even my laptop with integrated GPU installed the software.
so are there any other ideas anyone has? Submitted a support ticket, with logs, compat tool log, I’ve updated my drivers for USB, GPU is up to date, Ram is all working with memtest, just struggling to see rhyme or reason now,
cheers guys
Jo

7 REPLIES 7

Lawsy94
Honored Guest
Oh, and GPU will be updated, just waiting for payday!

xameryn
Honored Guest
Exact same thing here, been using the rift on my pc for a few months no problem, just tried installing on my laptop to play more basic games, and error message pops up when launching software.
PC Info: Oculus Rift CV1, AMD Ryzen 5 1500x OC 3.8GHz, XFX RX 580 8GB, 16GB DDR4 3200, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, 1TB Intel 660p M.2 SSD, x2 500Gb ADATA SSD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU

kobs57
Heroic Explorer
I'd think a few more Gb of ram wouldn't hurt (16 Gb) and since you're updating your video card you will know for sure then. I know your CPU will do the job that's what I had before my upgrade.
VR dedicated computer...AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 
32 gigs of G.Skill Trident Z neo 2X16 Gb DDR4 3200Mhz
 MSI 1070-TI,  on a MSI B-570 Gaming plus motherboard,
EVGA super nova 1000 Watt PSU
Oculus is on a  CORSAIR Force MP600 Gen4 PCIe x4 NVMe M.2 SSD

Lawsy94
Honored Guest
Hey kobs57, cheers for the response, fixed the fault, hardware issue with the GPU not man enough. Fitted a GTX 1050 ti, rift starts, however one of the screens is blank... ?

kobs57
Heroic Explorer
You mean one eye?? If so check (if you didn't) every connection between the headset and your video card if everything looks good it just might be an issue with the headset, it's really not supposed to work only on one side

Lawsy94
Honored Guest
Already done, I even tested it with a friends setup and their HDMI cables, same thing.

kobs57
Heroic Explorer
Then I would get in touch with Oculus for a replacement  😐