cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the easiest way to transition from Rift to Quest 2?

RobaireX
Honored Guest

I've been using an Oculus Rift for years now. I'm considering replacing the Rift with a Quest 2 since the Rift is no longer supported with no replacement parts if something breaks. The Rift works fine on my PC that exceeds all hardware requirements. So, when/if I buy a Quest 2, can I just unplug the Rift and its sensors, and plug in the Quest 2? Or, will I need to uninstall and reinstall the Oculus app? Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

TheAntiSocializer
Meta Quest Support
Meta Quest Support

That is a very understandable concern, @RobaireX. I'd be glad to give some insight. 

Quest 2 is a pretty good buy since it can very well be used for Rift content as well. I'd also just keep in mind, anything bought for the Rift that isn't cross-buy will need to be used with a Link cable or Air Link since it will be using the Rift software.

As for unplugging the Rift and plugging in the Quest 2, you'll want to be sure your PC fits the Link requirements and not just the Rift ones. If everything is good to go, you shouldn't need to reinstall the application either. (It does say all 30 series cards are supported but please keep in mind if it's a 3050ti or laptop 3050 it will not be supported so I'm not able to confirm nor deny if it works) 

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns! 🙂 

Sometimes it's okay to be a little Bing Chilling

View solution in original post

Thanks for this. Sounds like all I'll need to do is just plug in with a link cable. Hardware I have is a Ryzen 7 7700x, 32 GB ram and radeon 6800xt, so no problems there.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

TheAntiSocializer
Meta Quest Support
Meta Quest Support

That is a very understandable concern, @RobaireX. I'd be glad to give some insight. 

Quest 2 is a pretty good buy since it can very well be used for Rift content as well. I'd also just keep in mind, anything bought for the Rift that isn't cross-buy will need to be used with a Link cable or Air Link since it will be using the Rift software.

As for unplugging the Rift and plugging in the Quest 2, you'll want to be sure your PC fits the Link requirements and not just the Rift ones. If everything is good to go, you shouldn't need to reinstall the application either. (It does say all 30 series cards are supported but please keep in mind if it's a 3050ti or laptop 3050 it will not be supported so I'm not able to confirm nor deny if it works) 

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns! 🙂 

Sometimes it's okay to be a little Bing Chilling

Thanks for this. Sounds like all I'll need to do is just plug in with a link cable. Hardware I have is a Ryzen 7 7700x, 32 GB ram and radeon 6800xt, so no problems there.

kojack
MVP
MVP

Technically you don't even need to unplug it the previous one, the desktop software supports multiple headsets, but only one can be active at a time. Switching between them is easy though.

If you have good enough wifi (such as wifi 6 at 5GHz), you can also run Airlink. That means you connect to the PC with wifi instead of a cable.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Ralphyboyking1
Honored Guest

Quest 3 good