cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong USB spec and no charging for the Quest 2

artie.gilmour
Explorer
Is there a solution to these two problems in Dec 2022?  I've been browsing the other threads online reporting these same issues, and I've yet to see a proper solution.  Many have had success with hardware changes, like wiggling, flipping and re-plugging cables (I've had no such luck), and buying new (and expensive) hardware, but this all seems like crazy talk when it's clearly a software issue.

In my case I plug in my Apple iPad into to my USB-C PCI-e card with a Kujet USB-C cable, and I get 896 mA and USB 3.2 reported in USBDeview.  I plug the Quest 2 in the same way, and I get 0 mA and USB 2.0.  Software is the only independent variable there.  For further confirmation, I plug my Quest into my MacBook using the Kujet cable, and it reports 900 mA and USB 3.1.

quest-vs-ipad-vs-macbook-current.jpg

I'm probably different than most users in that I'm not using the Quest 2 for PCVR gaming, but I wanted to experiment with editing immersive stereoscopic content on the headset.  I'm totally Mac based, and as Steam VR support was dropped over 5 years ago I had to switch to Windows by loading it onto a 2009 Mac Pro (which has Intel chips so can run Windows natively).  The GPU and PCI-e card are more recent...good specs for 2017.  I decided to stick with Windows 10 on such an old machine, so I don't know if Windows 11 would fair better.

I'm wondering if a powered USB-C cable is the way to go (I believe Kujet makes one), or is this just the firmware not asking for power, so spending more money on a new cable (or PCI-e card, as some have suggested) is pointless?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

artie.gilmour
Explorer

I purchased a new cable, the Kuject MT005, a USB-C to USB-A where you can plug the headset charger directly into the cable for extra power.  I plugged this into my USB A PCI-e card, and now I’m getting 896 mA and USB 3.2 reported.  Of course I am getting more current than that, as the headset is getting a charge from 2 sources now, only one of which the computer can measure.

This does not mean this is a hardware problem!  My USB-C to USB-C cable charges other devices just fine.   I guess my problem is solved for now, but I really hope Meta solves this problem.  There’s many reports on this site that go back years reporting it, even using the official $80 cable.  

I’ve sent Meta my logs after chatting to Support.

Kuject MT005 plugged in.jpg

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

RoastPork
Retired Support

Thanks for sharing your experience! I gotta be honest and say this is past my range of expertise. However, if anyone here with experience in using Macs with Quest 2 has some advice or suggestions, I'd love to hear 'em chime in!

Genesis does what Nintendon't! Send me a DM if you have questions. I'm happy to help!

I did a factory reset on the headset and connected it again to the computer and the USBDeview reported USB 3.2…for about 5 minutes, and then it went back to USB 2.0 again.  Still no power.

I am running Windows natively on the machine, and it’s all PC components except for the motherboard, so it’s a stretch to call this a Mac issue.  It’s got an Apple on the box, but it’s a Windows machine in the ways that count.  It's not an emulation or virtual machine.

artie.gilmour
Explorer

I purchased a new cable, the Kuject MT005, a USB-C to USB-A where you can plug the headset charger directly into the cable for extra power.  I plugged this into my USB A PCI-e card, and now I’m getting 896 mA and USB 3.2 reported.  Of course I am getting more current than that, as the headset is getting a charge from 2 sources now, only one of which the computer can measure.

This does not mean this is a hardware problem!  My USB-C to USB-C cable charges other devices just fine.   I guess my problem is solved for now, but I really hope Meta solves this problem.  There’s many reports on this site that go back years reporting it, even using the official $80 cable.  

I’ve sent Meta my logs after chatting to Support.

Kuject MT005 plugged in.jpg