Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

oculus quest 2 not charging while playing

moonflower93
Honored Guest

good morning, 

i have the official cable from oculus usb c for playing game from the pc

i have this problem with is really bad....

when i am playing the oculus does not charge, so i can not use it for long time....

how can i fix? 

is really frustrating as i pay 100 euros just for the cables....

the cable is connected directly on my motherboard pc usb c port 

4 REPLIES 4

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there! Thank you for reaching out and informing us of your issue. We understand that your gaming time is valuable and should not be restricted. We got your back here!

First, we recommend you let the device charge for no more than two hours from a wall plug. We don't recommend charging the unit during gameplay especially from a PC as they don't have enough energy to charge it.

We're providing a link on how to maximize battery life and the best charger to use.

If you're still having this issue after trying the recommended steps, please reach out to Meta Store Support and submit a ticket for further assistance.

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

How is that possible when you guys list charging while you play as a reason to buy your cable?

"We don't recommend charging the unit during gameplay especially from a PC " Huh? How is that supposed to  happen?  How do you used a wired connection and NOT charge?

@drunkenknights wrote:

"We don't recommend charging the unit during gameplay especially from a PC " Huh? How is that supposed to  happen?  How do you used a wired connection and NOT charge?

Probably gets lost in the translation, lol!  I think it's fine to use your Link cable (usb powered), Powered Link cable (Like the Kuject) or your Q2 cable/charger (with any usb2/3 cable) while you play if you start off with your headset fully charged.  That way you are still going to use some of your headset battery while it is being powered by any of these devices.

What you don't want to do imho is start off with your headset battery below 40-50% because in this case the headset battery will approach a low state quicker and the lower the Li-ion battery gets, the more heat it creates.  Heat is a major factor in damaging Li-ion batteries, and will reduce the life of your battery.

For Standalone play (no link/charge cable) you can pretty well take the Q2 down till you get the Low battery warning (~20% charge).  At that point you are best to shutdown and let your Quest cool down for ~10-15 minutes before putting it on charge.  Again, before you use Link again, fully charge your headset battery beforehand. 

These are the practises I've used with my Q1/Q2/QP and all these headset batteries are still in excellent condition.  Hope this helps.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers