cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Medium 1.2 Update and Release Notes!

naycorn
Heroic Explorer

Welcome to the “Summer of
Move”
Oculus Medium update!

You’ve asked and we’ve listened! This release brings the most requested feature
from professional artists: the Move tool, which gives you the ability to
reproportion and repose your sculpt.  Studio Share lets you sculpt
live together in VR with a friend. Manipulators let you precisely
position and adjust objects in your scene, and Reference Meshes let you
import your own 3D models into Medium. 

Happy sculpting! bdywqwuti0du.png

74 REPLIES 74

Anonymous
Not applicable
Suggestion for settings.  Medium can get resource intensive on detailed projects.  A setting to disable updates of other programs while medium is running would be useful.  Doesn't matter much with other games, but when I'm pushing a near maxed out sculpt and google earth or something decides its the perfect time to update, makes it almost impossible to work.  

I realize the rift has a global setting, however I'd rather be able to handle it, permanently, from within the program so I don't forget to turn the global back on.

danilo
Protege
I got some suggestions for future updates: 

1 - "Subtract" merge option: In the layers panel, turn a mesh "negative", so when it's merged it should subtract. The workaround for this is transforming the layer into a custom stamp and loading on the Clay tool... but i think that having this in the Layers panel could speed up the process.

2 - Better ways to polish the mesh for hard surface work: We got the flatten brush but is way too hard to control it, even in surface mode. Is it possible to have something like the H polish brush from Zbrush?

3 - Expand the Line option in the clay tool: It would be cool to have some way to use arcs in the clay tool, just like the line option. And it would be super cool to be able tho create paths, just like the bezier curve or the B - Spline method used in 3D apps. Maybe just moving and editing dots, and this dots will be connected in 3d space creating paths...

4 - "Lazy hand": Something similar to the lazy stroke option in Zbrush for better control.

5 -  Masking

6 - A gizmo with non-uniform scale: Not sure about this... if its already implemented. I found the scale gizmo but i was unable to do a non-uniform scale in just one axis.

naycorn
Heroic Explorer

Medium 1.2.2 Release Notes

Welcome to Medium!

New Features:

• Convert reference meshes to sculptable clay

• Users can now import OBJ and FBX files with vertex color and texture mapping as reference meshes... and then convert them to sculpts in Medium!  After adding a reference mesh to your scene, just select the mesh, bring up its settings menu and press “Copy to Clay”

• Decrease resolution on layers

• This can be found in the layer menu, in addition to the previously existing “increase resolution” feature

• Playback videos within Medium

• When choosing a video to play it will play in the window while you sculpt as opposed to only playing in the library

• Add videos from the sharing site into Medium (try some from our gallery: www.oculus.com/medium/artists/oculusmedium), or download videos from the Newsfeed in the Home screen

• Reference Mesh import now supports textures

• Include all required texture files alongside your OBJ/FBX inside the Medium import folder to bring colored References Meshes into Medium

• Copy to Clay supports conversion of textured meshes into sculptable clay

Bug Fixes

Studio Share

• Fixed an issue with the friends list being capped at 25 friends in Studio Share

• Added iconography to indicate online status of friends in Studio Share

Sculpting and Layers

• Fixed irregularities with surface constrain and clay tool

• Fixed an issue with the sculpt drifting if it was moved between undo/redo operations

• Hidden layers now stay hidden after entering and leaving the home menu.

Stamps

• Fixed an issue with stamp previews and stamp help dialog not appearing in recordings made on a previous version.

• Fixed an issue with severe artifacting when using make stamp from layer from high resolution layers

• Made stamp generation from meshes less dependent on watertightness

Exporting

• Fixed a crash when attempting to export meshes with 8k textures on min spec machines

• Min sculpt origin scale is now .01

Other

• Integrated latest Oculus audio SDK for improved spatial audio.

• Fixed a crash loading references from a previous version.

• Fixed the bug that selecting anywhere on the keyboard returned the cursor to the front of the text.

• Previews for reference meshes were obscuring tooltip dialog.

• Fixed some grammatical errors in help dialog.

• We’ve had to disable stamp sharing temporarily due to a technical issue.

• Fixed a bug in which the home menu wouldn’t appear if a notification dialog was active.

• Fixed a crash that prevented Medium from starting.

Sterling77
Rising Star
Oh my god !! Can't wait
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/52965/sterlings-sketchbook

Anonymous
Not applicable
 "After adding a reference mesh to your scene, just select the mesh, bring up its settings menu and press “Copy to Clay”

Can you show us how to get this menu or let us know what button to use? I've never been able to select a mesh other than going to the mesh menu. I have no idea what this menu is that you are referencing to.

"Copy to Clay supports conversion of textured meshes into sculptable clay"

I also have no idea how to access this feature. Please let us know explicitly how to access new features.

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
@SamuelAB Settings menu - green button with green icon on it
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/49283/oculus-medium-manual-user-guide

Anonymous
Not applicable
For anyone trying to access the menu, you must hold A onto the mesh to bring up the menu.

naycorn
Heroic Explorer

SamuelAB said:

"After adding a reference mesh to your scene, just select the mesh, bring up its settings menu and press “Copy to Clay”

Can you show us how to get this menu or let us know what button to use? I've never been able to select a mesh other than going to the mesh menu. I have no idea what this menu is that you are referencing to.

"Copy to Clay supports conversion of textured meshes into sculptable clay"

I also have no idea how to access this feature. Please let us know explicitly how to access new features.

Hi SamuelAB: Here is a quick video to show how to get to Copy to Clay! We're working on more Tutorials to help you find more cool stuff in the app! 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Some thoughts after testing:
  • There is a slight drift after moving the ref mesh
  • (Large) ref meshes don't scale from the hand location, it scale from another location which is disorienting and annoying
  • Materials need to be baked to be imported?
  • If objects are not merged as a single mesh (very unlikely for architectural models), then many elements are in the wrong place, seem to go to 0,0 origin point. Fixing this would be great.
  • Model import is a lot more robust and successful than before!

Anonymous
Not applicable
ooooooh hello!! Does this mean we can finally merge two sculpts together? Need to test this out asap! 🙂

Great work as always Medium Team!