cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elite strap with battery: keeping the charge

KobiHamitapes
Explorer

I noticed that after charging the quest2 with the elite battery strap that when I put everything on, the battery strap always looses charge. When I start it already has gone down to 80 or 70 percent. However if, after charging, I remove the connection between the battery from the elite and the quest2, and store that way, and then just before playing I put the battery connector back in, now the battery pack in the elite maintains charge to almost 100 percent. However, it’s like I am constantly adding and removing the external battery. 
Is this a safe and good practice? How do others keep the charge in their elite headset battery? 
Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

Question, do you put your Quest to sleep or fully turn it off when not in use?

Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

Hi. Not sure if I previously replied to this. If not sorry for the time answering. 
I put it fully turned off — also while charging its fully turned off.  I call fully turned off the long on/off button press till the off sound. 
Thanks,

Jeff

thekobk
Sightseer

I have the same issue and I am on my 2nd one, the first one also had the peel apart defect. I suspect cheap cells with high self discharge.  I wouldn't be shocked if they quit charging much after a year. This happens with quest off...

KobiHamitapes
Explorer

So what I do is to remove the cord between the battery and the oculus after the charge is complete and the light is green. This helps

preserve the charging on the external battery in the elite strap. 
Just before I play again I plug that cord back between the battery and the oculus. Works like a charm. 

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

I'm not sure whether or not Oculus has modified their Elite strap with battery because I recently bought one from Amazon (now available without case, and aud$30 off right now).  Once I get the headset and headstrap batteries fully charged (in the green) and leave them overnight, both seem to stay fully charged.  This is with the Q2 fully powered off btw.  

So, pretty well plug and play for me and I just charge both through the headstrap usb type c port.  I don't even need to ever unplug the battery cable since I'm only using my Q2 standalone or wireless with Air Link. 

I'm finding that this strap with battery, together with the VR Cover standard facial interface and their eyeglass spacer (stock Q2 spacer does not fit btw) and their thin Cool face pads works great for me.  Better balance, FOV, and better fit with my 140x40mm glasses. 

The quality of the strap itself seems to be better than the original Elite strap so hopefully, with a little care, it will last longer.  I also like that the strap's rear adjustment knob is flush with the strap.  Other 3rd party straps, like the Kiwi stick out a lot more and get in the way of my high-backed gaming chair headrest.  Also, I've found that halo-type straps tend to float too much and I don't seem to be able to get them as close to my eyes, so FOV suffers a bit.  Might be a head size/shape thing?

For longer sitting sessions it's nice to be able to play and charge at the same time using either an external 10000-20000mahr pack or my good old Q1 charger/cable.

I'm very happy with this Elite strap with battery.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers