cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why casting is not allowed to non-admin user?

overinvisible
Honored Guest

I have my primary account and family members' accounts added to quest-2, it looks like only the primary(admin) account is allowed to cast.  This makes for a boring experience for users that are not playing.  I tried to make it work but noticed:

- There is no way to have multiple admin accounts

- No way to cast from within oculus by logged in user (non-admin)

- There is no way to pair phone app with non-admin account

Disappointed by these restrictions.  Are there any plans to address this issue?

7 REPLIES 7

mortbort
Honored Guest

They really need to improve the secondary account options. I believer there aren't any options actually. Other accounts are not able to access files stored on the device as well which is really annoying if you have anything custom or load content. Ideally you would be able to just set permissions like all other account systems have been doing for ages. 

It's probably just to push for people to buy more devices per household unfortunately.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've found that while only the admin account can cast to the oculus app e.g. on an IPHONE, the non admin accounts cans till cast to other devices in the house e.g. Chromecast on a TV, Air Receiver app on a PC etc. 

Yaeyah
Honored Guest

Seriously!!! I don’t get it! I have two headsets and i wanna just tap in the app to be able to view what my kids are doing at anytime on both devices but because i wanted to save money on app purchases i put one account as the admin on both so the other account could get the game too. NOW I CANT watch the non admin accounts from my PHONE. Thats trashy!

This is incorrect, I just tried and I doesn't allow you to see the non-admin account, as soon as you change to the non-admin it goes black and the app on the phone ask you to change to admin account. if you try to cast from the app of non-admin account you can't even connect to the headset so is just not possible 

Hmmm. I can’t get it to cast to anything other than an iPhone/iPad with the app on if. I have tvs which both accept casting normally- which the headset can’t see… did it just work for you? Or is there something you did to get it to work to a tv directly?

Hiya @Pezmoturbo! What type of TV do you have? I did find some troubleshooting options here that may help you out, but not all TVs will be compatible. I hope this helps!

Through the darkness of futures past, the magician longs to see. One chants out between two worlds: Fire... walk with me

ludicrous
Honored Guest

Hi OverInvisible!

It's rather easy, though a bit different then it used to be:

* The mobile app cannot cast to chromecast anymore

* The mobile app can only cast the primary account

BUT:

• *he headset OS is based on Android so it can cast to a laptop or a Chromecast device, from ANY ACTIVE ACCOUNT on the headest:
    • Open the Camera app on the headset
    • Select Casting
    • Select either laptop or Chromecast device
    • In settings you can adjust to full HD widescreen streaming (by default it is streaming a square image)
    • When casting is enabled on the headset, the headset user will see a red + symbol somewhere in the upper right: this is an indication it's screen is casting. No worries there.

Give it a try, it's a workaround until the app can do this again:)

I only have a Quest 3, but I'm guessing this works for every headset model.

Hope this helps a bit.