cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A way to attach to a running Vulkan instance/device?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi!

I'm porting an application from OpenGL to Vulkan and it's time for VR. Until now I've been obtaining swapchain images via OpenGL API and it worked well in the following way:
- Runnig application wants to turn on VR

- Oculus session is initialized, gl texture handles obtained for swapchain

- Rendering is blitted into those textures and they are presented

Now with Vulkan things look a bit different, but ideally I would like to keep the workflow:

- Running application wants to turn on VR

- I get a physical device for existing vk instance (already used for usual desktop rendering) via ovr_GetSessionPhysicalDeviceVk (this step works)

- I create swapchain via ovr_CreateTextureSwapChainVk using existing device (this step fails)

- I obtain images to render to

- Rendering is blitted into those images and they are presented

The step that fails uses logical device created during application startup - not a new one I supposed to create from the physical device returned from Oculus SDK call, although physical device LUIDs match.

The questions are:

- Am I supposed to create a new logical device for sure? Can't I recycle the one I already have?

- How is interop between my existing logical device and the one I'll create for Oculus supposed to work? Can I blit (or attach) to the images obtained from oculus swapchain from the images I create using my first device at all?

- Or am I supposed to first create device using Oculus SDK and use it during the whole application lifetime for all the rendering work I do? So basically no hot-load of VR feature.

Thank you!

1 REPLY 1

Anonymous
Not applicable

For the devs who will encounter this question: it is possible to attach existing logical device - be sure that vulkan instance and logical device extensions required by Oculus are all enabled.