cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest doesn't ask to give USB permissions in dev mode

fakeDeltat
Level 3
I'm using Linux, Manjaro, with the Gnome desktop. When I connect my Oculus Quest to the PC, I get no popup in the headset about giving the system USB debugging permissions, and adb devices -l says:
List of devices attached

1PASH9ADMX9305         no permissions; see [http://developer.android.com/tools/device.html] usb:1-1.4 transport_id:13
If I disable developer mode, then I get a popup to allow access to the file system, and this has no checkbox to remember my choice, and the device isn't visible in adb, and I can't access it as an Android device. I had this work fine on Manjaro XFCE, but now it doesn't function for some reaosn. I have yet to restart my PC after installing adb, so I'll see if it works after a restart in the morning.
14 REPLIES 14

fakeDeltat
Level 3
Killing the server with
adb kill-server
and starting one as sudo with
sudo adb start-server
made the device go from "no permissions" to "unauthorized", and I was able to authorize the system inside the headset.

Akien
Level 2
I can confirm the same issue on another Linux distro, Mageia 7. Exact same description as in the OP.
As in https://forums.oculusvr.com/developer/discussion/comment/711258/#Comment_711258, restarting adb with sudo (i.e. with root permissions) seemed to work around the issue.I was then able to allow USB debugging access to the device inside the headset.
I further tested that killing the (root) adb server to then restart it as unprivileged user shows the device as "unauthorized" again, and lets me authorize it inside the headset. So I guess it might work fine from now on.
Edit: I was advised that this might be due to the need to set up udev rules for the Quest. I haven't seen them mentioned in the https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/quest/latest/concepts/mobile-device-setup-quest/ page, that would be a good addition (especially since figuring out the udev syntax and magic numbers is not trivial).

Meatballmachine
Level 3
the command adb is not even recognized. This is hopeless

CalMor95
Level 2
This worked for me ONLY when I plugged in my Quest into my PC AFTER SideQuest was already open. hope that helps!

TommyCakes
Level 2


Killing the server with
adb kill-server
and starting one as sudo with
sudo adb start-server
made the device go from "no permissions" to "unauthorized", and I was able to authorize the system inside the headset.


Just a note you may have to install adb by running:
sudo apt install adb

Slugtide
Level 2
Where do I go to kill the server?

reeejoshy
Level 2
ok.....  I got it going on WIN10......  

I searched for ADB.exe in c: .... found it in a Sidequest folder......   ( recently installed side quest) 
opened that location in powershell from file manager ( shft - rightclick inside folder area. and context menu displays select open powershell window here ..... 

I used the following commands to get it to go .... ( note the .\  before the adb.exe )   

PS C:\Users\josha\AppData\Roaming\SideQuest\scrcpy> .\ADB.EXE kill-server
PS C:\Users\josha\AppData\Roaming\SideQuest\scrcpy> .\ADB.EXE start-server
* daemon not running; starting now at tcp:5037
* daemon started successfully
PS C:\Users\josha\AppData\Roaming\SideQuest\scrcpy> .\ADB.EXE devices
List of devices attached
1PASE9AZ3GK141  unauthorized

then put on the quest headset and it had the debuggin message waitng for me ( usb cable was plugged into it from pc) 
clicked the always remember button and hit allow... 

Your welcome internet !!!! :smile:

Jujututu
Level 2
joshy you star!!

adam_hlt
Level 2
Followed Joshy's instructions and they're the first that worked, thank you so much!