cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Runtime Switcher V2 [UPDATE]

TiIiMuRkA
Explorer
Hello! This is Oculus Runtime Switcher

It works for versions 0.4.4.0, 0.5.0.1, 0.6.0.1, 0.7.0.0 and 0.8.0.0, also on windows 10.
On windows 10 runtimes 0.4.4.0, 0.5.0.1, 0.6.0.1 are working only in extended mode.

Requirements:

*Windows 7 or higher
*64-bit architecture
*Updated videocard drivers
*If you moved your desktop to another path then delete directory "Desktop" in your "%userprofile%" (you can copy and paste this to Win+R), otherwise shortcuts are not created on your desktop.

Installing:

1) Uninstall all of the versions of Oculus Runtime (better with registry clean, Total Uninstall can help you)
2) Reboot your PC
3) Install Oculus Runtime 0.8.0.0
4) Reboot your PC
5) Start "Install.exe"
Warning!!! After installing switcher your PC will restart after 10 sec. (It's necessary for the correct switching then)

If you use 0.6.0.1 version on windows 10, you must to start "OVRServer" on your desktop every time after launching OculusConfigUtil
If on windows 10 after switching to 0.6.0.1 black cmd window doesn't start - start "OVRServer" manually from desktop.
It's doing one time until you switch runtime or reboot PC.
Don't close this black cmd window while using 0.6.0.1, otherwise you will see "Service unavailable" in OculusConfigUtil.

For uninstall start "Uninstall.exe"

Update:

*Completely reworked the script.
*Added correctly switching of tracker driver.
*Added correctly compatibility with windows 7\8\8.1\10
*Now you can install oculus runtime to any directory.

Possible issue: Glitch with switching from 0.6 to 0.7\0.8 on windows 7

Solution: Switch 0.6 to extended mode in oculusconfigutil before.

If you will be interested in this switcher and will support me with your feedbacks and may be something else, then

Future plans:

*Possibility for installing switcher to another path (not only default disk C:)
*Installator by Inno Setup or another compilator (for easy path choosing, not from cmd window) with registry registration
*Add the runtime sdk 1.0 support (when it will be released)

Download links:

Google drive
Yandex drive

Oculus Runtime Switcher is free but if you would like to donate and help, use the button below, i will be very thankful.

37 REPLIES 37

CountFloyd
Explorer
Hey Titimurka,

unfortunately the installation failed in the first xcopy line (Win10 Pro, German). Of course I ran it as admin. Parts were copied to C:\ (which is IMHO a bad idea, I'd rather prefer using own documents or something else not in the root folder). However after the failed installation I was hesitant to try it out because you're deleting stuff in system32 and I would rather not risk corrupting system folders.

Anyway, I'm at work now and will probably upload the dos output later this day.

Oh and instead of including the 0.7 & 0.8 Runtime, in my opinion it would make more sense to have 0.5, 0.6 and 0.8 (because there are hardly any incompatibilities between 0.7 and 0.8 but lots between 0.5 & 0.6).

TiIiMuRkA
Explorer
CountFloyd

You don't need to run installation as admin(just double-click). It needs only for links on desktop after installation. Try this and give me feedback. Thanks!

I will think about adding 0.5 runtime, if it's possible. I tried to add o.4.4 runtime and had no sucess.

Upd: 0.4.4 almost done. 0.5 on the way.

Mateo0311
Honored Guest
I'm looking for a .5 runtime switcher to play Discovering Space again.

LKostyra
Protege
Small question.

How did you resolve the issue of hanging Windows boot when older than 0.8 runtime is installed?
DK1: Received DK2: (Jan 26) Pending => (2nd Feb) Processing => (3rd Feb) Shipped => (6th Feb) Received CV1: (Jan 6) Pending Rig: i7 4770 / GA-Z87X-D3H / GTX 760 / 16GB RAM

TiIiMuRkA
Explorer
LKostyra

I don't understand what you mean. I didn't have this problem or any glitches on windows 10.

One issue is described in 1st message.

LKostyra
Protege
I did not look at your Switcher in-depth, however I assume you must install all the runtimes you want to use as a part of configuration process.

The issue is, some users (ex. me) have a problem with incompatibility of Oculus Runtime older than 0.8. For example, when I installed the 0.6 Runtime, then rebooted the system, Windows did not boot. All I saw was the Windows 10 logo and the dots rotating in circle, forever. I had to get into the Emergency Mode, clean-remove the nVidia driver, plus manually remove the Oculus 0.6 Display Driver (a file in Windows directory, plus a registry entry) because the Windows Installer services are unavailable in Emergency Mode. Then my OS came back online.

My rig details are in the footnote. It happened on 355.82 and then I tried the same on newer version of the nVidia driver. Same thing happened, that's why I ask the question. For some people on Windows 10, launching older runtime is impossible due to incompatibility and can leave them with unusable Windows installation.

EDIT: Forum thread about this. The OP mentiones something else, however the first, and the second answer talk about an "endless boot loop" which leaves the OS "bricked".
DK1: Received DK2: (Jan 26) Pending => (2nd Feb) Processing => (3rd Feb) Shipped => (6th Feb) Received CV1: (Jan 6) Pending Rig: i7 4770 / GA-Z87X-D3H / GTX 760 / 16GB RAM

TiIiMuRkA
Explorer
Thanks for comment! I'll take that into account.

With new switcher (almost done) you will need install just 0.8 runtime. I need 1-2 days more.

LKostyra
Protege
"TiIiMuRkA" wrote:
With new switcher (almost done) you will need install just 0.8 runtime. I need 1-2 days more.

Wow! If so, I will be more than ready to try this out. Hopefully this will workaround the problem 😄

TiIiMuRkA
Explorer
In the testing phase right now. All of codes are done. I added compatibility(7\8\8.1\10) and I will test how it works on windows 7\8\8.1\10 on another PC and then I will update links!

On my PC(windows 10) all works fine. It switchs 0.4.4\0.5.0.1\0.6.0.1\0.7.0.0\0.8.0.0.

I will try to finish it by Sunday(if the test is successful).