Latest Version:

32bit
VLCRiftPlayer_x86_0_1_6.zip
64bit
VLCRiftPlayer_x64_0_1_6.zip
Version: 0.1.6
Date: 12/09/2014

Changes:

* Major performance improvements, no GPU decoding but very low cpu load (15 - 25%)
* 32 and 64 bit version, please use the 32 bit version with a 32 bit VLC and the 64 bit version with the 64 bit VLC only!!!
* Frametimes are now very low, stable and solid
* Based ion Oculus SDK 4_0_3, with Bugfixes, like state reset fix, ...
* Simple GUI, tap you HMD or shake your head to bring up the GUI. Works by looking at the GUI-Elements, give it a try. I would like to hear what you are thinking.
* Support added for Over/Under S3D (SBS is also supported), use NUMPAD_0 / F1 to toggle modes
* Happy Christmas and have fun ...

0.0.5 - 1st Alpha Release

* Removed dependency for D3DCompiler_47.dll. Shaders are now precompiled and included in the toolchain.
This should solve Win7 problems w/o the Win8.1 libs.
VLCRiftPlayer_0_0_5.zip

0.0.4 - 4th Pre-Alpha Release

* 1st version of Ambilight (not working for 3D SBS), F10 to enable/disable

0.0.3 - 3rd Pre-Alpha Release

* "Direct to the Rift" / "Direct HMD Access from Apps" mode is now supported. (Extended desktop is still supported)
* Audio Track Changing is now supported. Use F9 to change the audio track.
* Removed Direct Input
* Added simple Debug Gui in Debug Builds (not in public release builds)
* BUGFIX: Projection Matrix was wrong while turning + rotating head

0.0.2 - 2nd Pre-Alpha Release

* DK2 position tracking via camera (optional)
* Curved screen (default, change with F5 to flat screen)
* Adjustable radius of curved screen (F6 + F7)
* SBS rendering now handled by shader
* Release Build (0.0.1 was a debug build, dynamically linked with MSVCR100D.DLL) statically linked, so MSVCR100.DLL is not needed anymore.
* Key mapping changed
* BUGFIX: In SBS mode the eye switching was only not working for one eye.

0.0.1 - Initial version

Version Info: Pre-Alpha Release (no feature freeze)
No error handling, but works for me in extended display mode.

Description:

VLCRiftPlayer is a movie player for Oculus DK2 with S3D support (SBS).
Under the hood it uses VLC (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/) for movie playback.
So most everything VLC can play, this player can play also.

Inspired by the design of the OculusPlayer (special thx to dbaker), this is a DirectX 11 port.
Using the Oculus SDK 4.0.1 for distortion rendering and head tracking.

Install:

Copy the VLCRiftPlayer.exe to the VLC (32bit) base directory.
Make sure it is the ltest version of VLC.
Tested with vlc 2.1.5

Use:

- Configure your DK2 for Extended Desktop mode.
- Start the VLCRiftPlayer.exe in the VLC root directory (32bit).
- A dialog box will open.
- Choose a movie file.
- Take on the DK2.
- Press Return to center the view.
- Zoom the screen by using the mouse scroll wheel to get a comfortable view.
- If it is a 3D movie press F1 to enable SBS mode.
- If the image is not 3D try to change the images for each eye by pressing F2.
- The IPD of your current active Oculus profile (see Oculus Config Util) will be used. You can adjust the IPD by pressing F3 (-) or F4 (+).
- Enjoy!

Controls:

Stereo 3D:

NUMPAD_0 / F1: Enable/Disable SBS 3D movie (default on)
F2: Switch Images for eye
F3: IPD Correction-
F4: IPD Correction+

Screen:

F5: Curved screen/Flat Screen
F6: Radius of curved screen +
F7: Radius of curved screen -
F10: To enable/disable Ambilight

Player controls:

Play/Pause: Spacebar
F9: Change Audio Tracks

Right arrow: Jump 30 sec. forward
Left arrow: Jump 30 sec. forward
NUMPAD_9 Jump: 1 min. forward
NUMPAD_6 Jump: 3 min. forward
NUMPAD_3 Jump: 5 min. forward
NUMPAD_8 Jump: 1 min. back
NUMPAD_4 Jump: 3 min. back
NUMPAD_1 Jump: 5 min. back

Camera/Head:

Enter: Center headtracker/Position
Mouse wheel: Zoom in/out
WASD: Move camera up/down/left/right

Enjoy but use it at your own risk!
64 REPLIES 64

semose
Honored Guest
Awesome work! First Rift video player I've found that works with subtitles, since they're built into VLC. Clearly, building off the 13 years of solid VLC development is the best way to go, rather than starting from scratch. I did try to post a link to the missing MSVCR100D.DLL file, but my post was flagged as SPAM. You can find it by searching on DLL Dump [dot] com. I will make a few suggestions, though:

I have a Logitech K810 keyboard without a numpad. Would love to be able to customize the controls. Not a big deal, used JoyToKey to map all the controls to my gamepad, which ends up being much easier.

Video seems to be on a 2D plane rather than a 3D sphere. When you press WASD to move the camera, it just seems like the video gets further away rather than rotating, with me at the centre of a sphere. For example, if I press W, it looks like I'm on the ground looking up a screen projected high on a wall in front of me.

Related to above, a key to centre my view where I am currently looking would be excellent.

I prefer the flat screen, but I'm sure there will be people who want a curved screen, as well as the IMAX style dome.

Awesome work for 0.0.1! A huge thanks for a Rift video player with subtitle support! Can't wait to try the next version.

Domitjen
Adventurer
It doesn't display in the correct 3d for me, It's like I am seeing dubble. hard to explain, it's not 2 seperated images, but as if they are wrongly overlapped.

drash
Heroic Explorer
Very interested to try this because of the subtitle support!

I get a missing DLL error for "libvlc.dll". I currently have VLC 2.0.5 installed, and I see that the newest version is 2.1.5? Do I need to update or is this unrelated?

Running Windows 8.0 64-bit.
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

Shpinxis
Protege
"semose" wrote:
Awesome work! First Rift video player I've found that works with subtitles, since they're built into VLC. Clearly, building off the 13 years of solid VLC development is the best way to go, rather than starting from scratch. I did try to post a link to the missing MSVCR100D.DLL file, but my post was flagged as SPAM. You can find it by searching on DLL Dump [dot] com. I will make a few suggestions, though:

I searched for the dll on that website and it gave me one without the "D" at the end. I tried putting that in the directory of VLC and it didn't work and the file already exists in my system32 folder. I reinstalled VLC and it still does not work.

wanderingdrive
Honored Guest
Sweet player. It just works. That's all it needs to do for me.

mra
Protege
"drash" wrote:
Very interested to try this because of the subtitle support!

I get a missing DLL error for "libvlc.dll". I currently have VLC 2.0.5 installed, and I see that the newest version is 2.1.5? Do I need to update or is this unrelated?

Running Windows 8.0 64-bit.

This is the one I use:
http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/2.1.5/win32/vlc-2.1.5-win32.zip

Extract, copy the .exe and run from there.

It is a Win32 app, so plz use the 32bit version of VLC.

mra
Protege
Thank you've tried my small program.

"semose" wrote:

I have a Logitech K810 keyboard without a numpad. Would love to be able to customize the controls. Not a big deal, used JoyToKey to map all the controls to my gamepad, which ends up being much easier.

Video seems to be on a 2D plane rather than a 3D sphere. When you press WASD to move the camera, it just seems like the video gets further away rather than rotating, with me at the centre of a sphere. For example, if I press W, it looks like I'm on the ground looking up a screen projected high on a wall in front of me.

Related to above, a key to centre my view where I am currently looking would be excellent.

I prefer the flat screen, but I'm sure there will be people who want a curved screen, as well as the IMAX style dome.

Awesome work for 0.0.1! A huge thanks for a Rift video player with subtitle support! Can't wait to try the next version.

Next version will static link MSVCR100D.DLL, or use an other lib. So no more need for a separate download.

You are right I'm rendering on a flat 2D Plane. I will try some curved planes to see if it makes sense.

WASD will move the camera and the look at position, so it should give you the opportunity to choose your seating position in the "cinema". Mouse scroll will bring you back and forth.

Flexible keyboard controls are not on my list yet, but keep in mind this for future releases.
Center key is Numpad 5.

Next features:
* curved projection plane
* Ambilight

mra
Protege
"Dominique" wrote:
It doesn't display in the correct 3d for me, It's like I am seeing dubble. hard to explain, it's not 2 seperated images, but as if they are wrongly overlapped.

3D movie support is only SBS.
Try to change the image for eye by pressing F1.
Enable or disable SBS by pressing NUMPAD_0.

semose
Honored Guest
"Shpinxis" wrote:
"semose" wrote:

I searched for the dll on that website and it gave me one without the "D" at the end. I tried putting that in the directory of VLC and it didn't work and the file already exists in my system32 folder. I reinstalled VLC and it still does not work.

You need the version with the D for sure. I got other errors when I used the non D version, worked right away when I got the right one. It's the first search result for me when I search DLL Hump.

@mra Your "seat in a movie theatre" analogy makes perfect sense. I somehow missed the centering key in your control list, so with that, my "sphere" suggestion makes less sense. Will give it a try when I get home from work. One other suggestion: any chance of getting playlist support? If I create a playlist with normal VLC in any of the 4 formats, then open the playlist in VLCRiftPlayer, I just get a blank screen, no video, no audio.