cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad programming

housecall247
Explorer

I cannot login to my Oculus Quest 2. It keeps asking for a drag pin thing and I do not remember what I set it to and the app wont work so I am not able to reset it.

At the bottom it says "Forgot Password" when you click it, it then gives you this-

These are the steps given when trying to reset it through the mobile app.

To reset or unlock pattern, follow these steps:

1. Open the oculus app on your mobile device.

2. Tap on Devices at the bottom.

3. Select this headset at the top. It may take a moment for your headset to connect to your mobile device.

4. Tap on unlock the pattern.

I do not want to reset it due to the damage the SDD will take, that is wear and tear that would/should be avoided if there was a proper password reset option.

Even though at the bottom is says "Forgot Password", it then gives you a way to, but you have to know the key to change it.

This does not make any sense to me as a feature, why would you need to change it like that if you knew the password key.

Here is my conversation with one of the support agents. (I took out our names for privacy)

Support
Customer Support
I cannot login to my oculus quest 2. It keeps asking for a drag pin thing and I do not remember what I set it to and the app wont work so I am not able to reset it.
Chat started
Support joined the chat
Support
Welcome to Oculus Support, this is Renan and I'll be assisting you today, your ticket is the #4107634 for future reference if needed, thank you for contacting us!
Hi User, how are you?
Me
I am good.
Support
I see that you are unable to access to access your Quest 2 because you don't remember the unlock pattern, I assure you I'll do my best from here to leave this situation behind us as soon as possible!

Me

awesome
after uninstalling the app It started working
so now how do I reset the password?
Support
The way to reset the unlock pattern is performing a factory reset, I'll send you the steps in a second
Me
?
On the headset it says you can use the app?
Support
To perform a factory reset using your phone:

1. Open the Oculus app on your phone.
2. Tap Devices in the bottom menu.
3. Tap the headset connected to your phone.
4. Tap Advanced Settings.
5. Tap Factory Reset and then Reset.
Me
and the app cannot find my headset.
Support
Thanks for the information Me, is it the pair code that's not showing up, or the dots pattern you have to connect?
Me
a dot pattern
it wants me to put a dot pattern in
Support
I see, if you're unable to access your app, we can try the factory reset on your Quest 2 then
To perform a factory reset using the headset:

1. Turn off your headset.
2. Hold the power and volume (-) button on your headset down simultaneously until the boot screen loads on your headset.
3. Use the volume buttons on your headset to highlight Factory Reset and press the power button.
4. Use the volume buttons on your headset to highlight Yes and press the power button.
Me
Is there not another way?
I'd hate to lose all the stuff i have on it.
and factory resetting something tends to effect performance?
Support
That's the only way to reset the pattern, in this case you wouldn't loose your purchased games, what could happen is loosing your game progress
I can check from here if there's a way you could back up your game progress before the factory reset
Me
There has to be a way to reset it. That's very poor programming if you cannot,
Is there no way to send a email request of some sort?
Support
I wish there was, but for unlock pattern that's the only way
Me
So the way that is showed to reset it on the Oculus quest 2 doesn't work?
Support
If you remember your Oculus pattern you're able to change it, are you able to send me a picture of what shows up on your Quest 2?
Me
How would i got about taking a picture of the vr screen?
Support
You should cover the sensor in between the lenses, after that the image is gonna show through the lenses and you can take a photo from your phone
Me
To reset or unlock pattern, follow these steps:

1. Open the oculus app on your mobile device.

2. Tap on Devices at the bottom

3. Select this headset at the top. It may take a moment for your headset to connect to your mobile device.

4. Tap on unlock the pattern.
those are the steps it gives
Support
I see, those steps would work if you remember the unlock pattern as I said before
Me
No
it says that's how to unlock the pattern
At the bottom it says "forgot password?"
and after you click that it says what I typed out earlier
Could a higher level tech disable the password? Or change it?
Support
We could change your Oculus password from here, but the unlock pattern, if you forgot it, the only way is performing a factory reset as I said before, we are unable to unlock it from our system
Me
Is there a way for me to bypass it?
Without causing damage?
I do not want to reset it due to the damage the SSD will take, that is wear and tear that
would/should be avoided if there was a proper password reset option.
Support
I understand Me, if there was another way I'd let you know for sure, but that's the only way
Me
So the only way is taking life off the SDD? because of sloppy programing. SSDs can only be written to, only a certain amount of times. So could I receive an replacement instead?
Especially since this is a software issue,
Is there not a way to disable the function?
Support
The unlock pattern is a way to secure your device, I'm unable to require a replacement in this case, I wish I could more from here, it's not a malfunctioning of your device, but the process that's required in case the customer forgets the password
Me
So there is no possible way to disable the feature, change the key to unlock it.
Support
You are able to change the pattern if you remember the pattern, if not a factory reset is required
Me
Even though at the bottom is says "Forgot Password", it then gives you a way to, but you have to know the key to change it.
Does that makes sense to you?
Support
I really wish it could be done in a different way, but I'm unable to change this process from my side
Me
And there is not a way to change it from my side either?
Support
The unlock pattern was developed to work as I've informed you, apart from the factory reset it's not possible to reset it from your side or mine if you don't remember the pattern
Me
So it was designed with this in mind?
I do not remember being warned about this.
Support
I understand Me, as I said before, apart from the factory reset I've no procedures to advise you to follow, if you want to proceed with that I can assist you with the steps
That's what I can do from here
Me
Is there a security team, or a network team that can assist me?
Support
You can get in touch with the developers on this link if you wish: https://developer.oculus.com/support/
Me
Would they have the tools needed to fix this issue?
Support
You can check it out with them, I'll send you an e-mail to follow your case and you let me know the outcome, and if I'm able to help you any further
Me
How do I get in contact with them?
It wants me to create a business.
Support
You can open a request on this link https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/Oculus-Quest-2-and-Quest/bd-p/OculusQuest2AndQuest, and you will get an answer soon, meanwhile I'll send your request from here, could you please confirm with me your Full name, Oculus account e-mail and username?
Me
Is there a number I could call?
Or a chat like this?
Support
From their part that's the way to contact them, don't worry they should answer your questions in a short period of time.
From the Oculus Support we can do outbound calls in this case
Me
Is there anyone in support i could call who could better assist me? I'd feel better if i was able to talk to someone instead of posting to a forum.
Support
You can receive a call from me or from another agent, apart from that, they don't accept or perform phone calls
Is there any other question I could clarify Payton?
Me
there's no rule against me copy and pasting this thread into the forum is there? I wont break TOS?

Support
Yes, you can share the conversation we've exchanged
7 REPLIES 7

SurfinDead82
Honored Guest

Im having the same problem right now.  

I would advise waiting on an response from an higher up before risking doing a factory restart. Hopefully they can patch this or find another solution.

joer888
Honored Guest

Same problem here. Very weird. I thought this would boost meta stock, but news of this on Tuesday will impact the stock for sure. 

I am not sure about that. I was able to trace this problem back a couple years.  https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/d9args/forgot_my_oculus_quest_unlock_pattern/ 

So this has been a problem but oculus Doesn't care I guess. They pretty much told me to reset my device and that's pretty the extent. There needs to be a way to reset this without resetting your device. It is possible we could try to get their attention somehow. Support chat isn't helpful at all. I sent a email this time Hopefully they take the email seriously.

All they would have to do is release a patch that either disables this feature or a patch that sends your email a password reset code.

I'm kind of desperate right now, how much damage will the SSD take??? 

dkdumdum
Explorer

So what did you end up doing with this? I just cannot believe a factory reset is the solution for a forgot password. Did you get an answer from the programmers?