cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CV1 OculusSetup.exe fails OVRLibraryService terminated

bwiese
Explorer
Tried this 4 times now, downloading all 800+ MB each time.

Installer runs for a while.  Successfully installs 3 VC++ packages, with logs files found in AppData\Local\Temp showing return code 0.

Event logs shows only that the OVRLibraryService entered running state, then entered stopped state, followed immediately by event 7024 in the System event log.

The OVRLibraryService service terminated with service-specific error The storage control blocks were destroyed.. 

Have not been able to find any other logs or information about what happens at the point of failure.  

Ideas?
9 REPLIES 9

bwiese
Explorer
Tried to install on a 2nd computer, this time a Windows 10 machine.  Same error.  While the first computer was pretty heavily loaded with software, the 2nd one was a vanilla laptop almost out of the box plain.

I ran OculusSetup.exe a 5th time on my primary computer, this time with SysInternals Process monitor logging all files, registry, and network activity up to the point of failure (3.2 million transactions).

Sadly, I can see the OculusSetup.exe writing to a log file at C:\Program Files (x86)\Oculus\OVRLibraryService.log, but the Oculus directory does not survive the failure, so virtually no useful evidence remains to figure out what went wrong.

I guess I'll wait a while, maybe a month or two, and see if any of this stuff has been worked out.

ShaneC
Honored Guest
It wont install for me either, but the directory it installs from will survive until you click Quit in the installer after it fails though. Normally something like this...
C:\Users\Shane\AppData\Local\Temp\OculusSetup-965e1c7a-519f-4f0e-aef8-45b1b293e820

bwiese
Explorer
I ran it again, and waited at the "Restart Computer" error message with the Quit button, and could find no Oculus directory under Program Files, Program Files (x86), or ProgramData.  There is an OculusSetup-GUID directory under AppData\Local\Temp, and it contains a series of ZIP files adding to 844 MB, but no log files.  There are the 3 dd_vcredist_amd64 log files showing the VC packages installed.  If there's some evidence as to why this software won't install, it's elusive to say the least.

ShaneC
Honored Guest
Hey bwiese, have you ran the compat-tool. It is here...
https://ocul.us/compat-tool

It is complaining about my processor, and USB controller. Even though they run the DK1 and DK2 fine. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Try it on yours and see what you get.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Got past the OVRLibraryService after uninstalling McAfee and rebooting. Have the ASUS Oculus Ready G20CB-WS71 bundle.

chrisjz
Honored Guest
I was getting this error 2 months ago and gave up then. Now I try again with the latest Oculus Setup and it still fails with this error. How has this not been fixed yet...

Additional information: I have Kaspersky installed and am trying to install in E:\Oculus. I won't install in C: as don't have enough disk space.

bwiese
Explorer
I haven't tried since.  The Rift is sitting in its box on the shelf.  Guess I'll wait another month or two and maybe then try again.  I have no tolerance for poor software.  The world is full of this crap and it shouldn't fall on customers to figure this stuff out.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am having the same issue! Tried repairing .NET 4.5, installing to C: or D:, same error, no logs anywhere ((( Is Oculus tech support reading this forum? Can't use my new rift ((((

Anonymous
Not applicable
FYI, the solution was to install .NET 4.6.1...