cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No cell phone

taarnah.2022
Honored Guest

I want to get a Meta 2 but have a problem.  I live in the mountains and we have no cell reception up here.  We use land lines for our internet.  And a land line for telephones.  Nothing can be done about the lack of reception because of the mountain ranges, blocking any wireless signal.  We do have Direct TV... but it has a huge dish.  And no info on that helping set up Meta 2 either.

Have googled for info on using my computer to set up the Meta 2 and cannot find anything that helps .  Just stuff about needing WiFi... and the cell phone.  Which we don't even own since it won't work up here.

Where can I find info on this issue.  Setting up the Meta 2, and updating, and downloading games etc... using my land line connection.  And then, disconnecting, while the Meta is being used??  thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AsgardsFinest
Retired Support

Hello @taarnah.2022!

Those are all good questions, and I've got the answers you're looking for. I'm not sure if @Mr.Kerr answered this in a DM, but I'll post again here. Just in case. 🙂

First up! Here's a link with a breakdown of the first time set up. Check that out if you get a chance.

You mentioned that you don't have a cell phone given the less than great signal in your area, and that would be a stumbling block. In order to get a new Meta Quest 2 headset up and running for the first time, you'll need a mobile device to download the mobile app and get connected.

Once you've connected your headset to a mobile device, you won't be running off your cell service, but rather your Wi-Fi. As long as you have decent router with reasonably fast internet in your home, you'll be fine. The cool thing about this is that you have that really stable wired connection, and the only wireless stuff you'll be tinkering with comes from the router itself.

I hope this answers any questions you had! If you think of any more, let me know. 😁

Ad Astra Per Aspera, Trooper.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Mr.Kerr
Protege

i sent you a DM

How-Long-were-Adam-and-Eve-in-the-Garden-Before-Sinning-JM2.jpg

AsgardsFinest
Retired Support

Hello @taarnah.2022!

Those are all good questions, and I've got the answers you're looking for. I'm not sure if @Mr.Kerr answered this in a DM, but I'll post again here. Just in case. 🙂

First up! Here's a link with a breakdown of the first time set up. Check that out if you get a chance.

You mentioned that you don't have a cell phone given the less than great signal in your area, and that would be a stumbling block. In order to get a new Meta Quest 2 headset up and running for the first time, you'll need a mobile device to download the mobile app and get connected.

Once you've connected your headset to a mobile device, you won't be running off your cell service, but rather your Wi-Fi. As long as you have decent router with reasonably fast internet in your home, you'll be fine. The cool thing about this is that you have that really stable wired connection, and the only wireless stuff you'll be tinkering with comes from the router itself.

I hope this answers any questions you had! If you think of any more, let me know. 😁

Ad Astra Per Aspera, Trooper.