cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Occasional Brief Stutter/freeze when looking left/right

Dranu
Explorer
So in just about every game, I have extremely smooth performance with the exception of one thing: any movement of the head left or right, which can occasionally (typically once every 30 seconds or so) cause a very short stutter or freeze.  It is almost as if the screen freezes at that location for a split second while my head is still moving.  Verticle movement does not seem to do this, or if it does it is extremely rare (unless combined with horizontal turning).  Its hard to tell if its a split second of frozen head tracking or if the fps drops to 0 for a split second (audio does not skip, just the visual), but it is almost certainly tracking as sometimes it looks more like a slight jump than a frame slow.  It happens on low end to higher end games with seemingly equal frequency.

It would be a minor annoyance on a screen, but in VR it really break immersion.  It is getting very frustrating.

So I have tried a ton of solutions now (here are a few):
  1. Disabling any MSI afterburner type program
  2. Re-positioning my 3 sensors (both in actual location and USB slots
  3. Disabling programs like f.lux
  4. Searching for and disabling any unnecessary start-up program.

These problems did not exist when I first got the rift.

My system roughly:
Win 10
MS-7917
i7-4790K CPU
1080ti GPU
16gb ram

14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Lots have this and I think we all do but to a lesser notable extent on high end PCs.
I think it's either the USB Controllers in a Win10 Update or the Oculus Firmware Update.

Dranu
Explorer
hmmm ya, because I do not think I had it earlier in the year, though I suppose I might have not noticed it being new to VR and so forth.

KetherMalkuth
Honored Guest
I have also noticed this. It might be just my impression, but it feels to me like this micro-jumps occur at specific angles which roughly coincide with my sensors, as if they were caused by some kind of switching between sensors as the main tracker (no actual idea on how constellation merges data from the three sensors, this are all subjective impressions that might or might not help anyone :wink: )

Log_a_Frog
Heroic Explorer
Are you using a pci-inateck?

Sharkster-NVR
Protege
There is an obvious issue with a huge percentage of NVIDIA boards and drivers beyond 384. Check out my observations here: https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/62663/how-nvidia-ruins-the-oculus-rift-experience

However, Nvidia couldn't be bothered to fix this for over half a year now.
ERAZER X7849 Notebook - CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK - GPU: GTX 1070, 8 GB GDDR5 RAM - RAM: 32 GB (4x 8 GB DDR4 HYNIX PC4 17000 DUAL CHANNEL) - MAINBOARD: INTEL HM170

Dranu
Explorer

Are you using a pci-inateck?

No, just a MSI-797 gaming 5 motherboard.  I have heard the inateck does not solve issues from a few.

cybereality
Grand Champion
What about Asus AI Suite or Asus Sonic Suite? They should be uninstalled. Do you have latest Nvidia driver?
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Sharkster-NVR
Protege

Do you have latest Nvidia driver?

Dranu said:

These problems did not exist when I first got the rift.

Having "the latest Nvidia drivers" is the main cause of the problem...
ERAZER X7849 Notebook - CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK - GPU: GTX 1070, 8 GB GDDR5 RAM - RAM: 32 GB (4x 8 GB DDR4 HYNIX PC4 17000 DUAL CHANNEL) - MAINBOARD: INTEL HM170

Dranu
Explorer

What about Asus AI Suite or Asus Sonic Suite? They should be uninstalled. Do you have latest Nvidia driver?

I dont have those programs and I have the latest driver, though I am going to try rolling it back soon.