cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Oculus Home/Store Remote Desktop] Can't Reach Oculus Runtime Service [SOLVED]

ubentobox
Explorer
To start, I was trying to start the Oculus Home to remotely start my download for EVE Valkyrie, and in order to do this I was using Windows Remote Desktop and I was encountering the error below.  Using something like Splashtop avoids this issue, but you can use the below workaround in "this" OP of manually running the OVRServer_x64.exe will allow you to download your game clients while remoted in.

Credit to otto-mate and Amilham for bringing the remote faulted behavior to my attention.

****** Original Post ******

After having reinstalled the client several times and each time waiting for several hours, I have been getting hits error when trying to open the Oculus Home application.

4lw09y6ijcbg.png

Some users have told me "it happens" but no one can tell me how long or how to check whats going on, presently there is no way to check status of this and Oculus Home continues to fail to launch. I have tried restarting the service to prompt some kind of error but this is a persistent message.

Oculus Rift DK2
Windows 10 Pro (Up to Date)
Nvidia Driver: 364.72
GeForce GTX 980
GeForce GTX 750Ti
http://pastebin.com/xtSNHvYf  - OculusSetup Log
20 REPLIES 20

cybereality
Grand Champion
It may be anti-virus blocking the install. Can you uninstall everything Oculus, restart your computer, disable anti-virus/firewall, and then try to install again?
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

ubentobox
Explorer
I can confirm that AV Active Protection was disabled for this process during all steps

cybereality
Grand Champion
Do you have anything plugged into the 750Ti? That may cause issues. Everything should be on the primary card. Can you also send over the setup logs? 
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

ubentobox
Explorer
The setup logs have been appended to the OP.  The system configuration is triple display with the left and right monitors being driven by non-SLI 750Ti, with the 980 driving the Oculus and the central monitor. I have been running in this configurations successfully since Pre-Alpha EVE Valkyrie as well as was able to run Home prior to last night (when this error first popped up). This client was removed prior to my attempting to run the release version.

I have done several uninstalls of the official release Home with restarts and reinstalls since, cleared my Temp in AppData/Local from all Oculus related folders as well. 

ubentobox
Explorer
Ok really weird, I was looking through the directories of the Oculus Home install and came across oculus-runtime. Inside I ran the OVRServer_x64.exe and then tried launching Oculus and it worked!

Why would this be failing but manually starting the OVRServer cause it to work?

cybereality
Grand Champion
Maybe the service is set up wrong. Not sure how that would happen but maybe try this. Go to the Start menu and type "services.msc" and press enter. Look for "Oculus VR Runtime Service", right-click, and choose "Properties". Make sure "Startup Type" is set to "Automatic" and then click "Start" if it's not already running. Let me know if this helps.

nz7ra850865s.jpg

ubentobox
Explorer
No this was already configured, I included it just above the error image in OP, Running, Automatic, etc. I recall hitting this issue a long time ago (talking a year+) but talking 0.06 or something. The issue did not come up until now, but since then I have completely formatted my system with a new install of Windows 10 Pro.

Is there a run parameter I can put on OVRServer_x64.exe that can generate a log or another executable that should generate a verbose log? I saw the error log report tool a folder up and will be sending in a report later (a bit tied up XD). 

cybereality
Grand Champion
What anti-virus or firewall software are you using? That could still be an issue. I've heard of problems where disabling doesn't help and you have to uninstall the anti-virus completely.

ubentobox
Explorer
Bitdefender GravityZone. Let me be clear though, I am the administrator (systems administrator) in charge of the deployment, and the AV is installed with end user full control. I actually run this for active protection only, but at no point was this active or even running during oculus home configuration or subsequent launches. Infact with the portal and games running and av client on agressive (for testing) the oculus has not barfed up a malware report. I've disabled it completely again and done several restarts but can confirm manual launching appears to be the only work around.

My suspicion has to do with previous home installation not being a clean uninstall (original removed with windows programs and features utility before subsequent attempts with the newest download.