cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Your computer doesn't meet Rift's recommended Specs" ... but it totally does, and totally works.

Rayvolution
Heroic Explorer
This is a very, very minor issue. I'm just curious if anyone else had it happen to them. But the Oculus store claims "Your computer doesn't meet Rift's recommended specifications, witch can lead to a poor experience in VR.", the problem is, I have a pretty beefy rig that goes beyond the minimum specs and I can play basically any VR game I can throw on it at max settings.

My basic/Rift-important specs;
i7-2600k
16gb of DDR3 3200 Ram
EVGA GTX980
On board and dedicated USB 3.0 ports

I suspect it might think my processor is "too old" even though it's totally acceptable for the Rift, it is an early first or second gen i7. Alternatively, it could be doing something wacky like not detecting my USB 3.0 ports.

Either way, it's not affected the VR experience in any way what so ever, I'm just curious if anyone else has this popup?
73 REPLIES 73

cybereality
Grand Champion
No, it does not meet the recommendation. The 2600k CPU is many years past it's prime, though still a somewhat passable experience. I can also confirm that you won't be able to max out every game, since I have a better machine and still can't get close to maxing out Chronos (for example). Sorry.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Rayvolution
Heroic Explorer
Well, I managed to max out every game I've thrown at it. While I haven't tried Chronos yet I'm getting pretty rock solid frame rates in EVE, Lucky's Tale, Vanishing of Ethan Carter, and all the free demos I can find. Admittedly all of those games aren't exactly bleeding edge technology though, so I'd expect them to run well.

Games now a days are no where near as CPU dependent as they used to be. Without the Rift, I can play literally every AAA title out there at over 60FPS, I really can't imagine my CPU being a bottleneck in this instance. My gut tells me your bottleneck is your GPU, even if it's a powerhouse like a 980ti, pushing a game like Chronos at 2160x1200p90 would be taxing on any GPU.

nrosko
Superstar
yeah this annoyed me as i would of pre ordered but after telling me my pc did not meet the spec i backed out. It was only later i realised people were running it on slower machines than mine. 

Dreamwriter
Rising Star

Well, I managed to max out every game I've thrown at it. While I haven't tried Chronos yet I'm getting pretty rock solid frame rates in EVE, Lucky's Tale, Vanishing of Ethan Carter, and all the free demos I can find. Admittedly all of those games aren't exactly bleeding edge technology though, so I'd expect them to run well.

Games now a days are no where near as CPU dependent as they used to be. Without the Rift, I can play literally every AAA title out there at over 60FPS, I really can't imagine my CPU being a bottleneck in this instance. My gut tells me your bottleneck is your GPU, even if it's a powerhouse like a 980ti, pushing a game like Chronos at 2160x1200p90 would be taxing on any GPU.

Updating a game's physics and things at 90fps is extremely CPU intensive, so if games are running their game engines at 90fps, that's why you'd need a powerful CPU. You've maxed out those games running on the full CV1 Rift?

Rayvolution
Heroic Explorer

<snip>

Updating a game's physics and things at 90fps is extremely CPU intensive, so if games are running their game engines at 90fps, that's why you'd need a powerful CPU. You've maxed out those games running on the full CV1 Rift?

Yep. Full CV1 rift, so far I've maxed out every setting possible (In most, that's basically just setting the rendering resolution to max, usually +130% in most games).

These are the apps I've played around in, all run at a smooth as butter 90FPS on maximum;
Vanishing of Ethan Carter VR (Resolution to 130%, no other settings exist)
Poly Runner VR
Lucky's Tale (Set to High)
EVE: Valkyrie (I set everything to Ultra, as well as the resolution to maximum.)
Invasion!
The Body VR
Introduction to VR
COLOSSE
Farlands
Showdown
Henry
Oculus Dreamdeck
Virtual Desktop, playing with 360 video and what not. (If you would even count that)

Even played around with VorpX, and while personally I think VorpX itself is junk (It's just a pain to set everything up right to have an enjoyable experience) I had smooth framerates, the controls were just terrible because of the nature of the drivers and the injection process. But here's the games I tried, and graphics/performance wise, all ran at great speeds;
Fallout 4
Skyrim
Legends of Grimrock
Borderlands 1

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee
So, you're happy with the performance you're getting with less than the recommended specs...Good for you?  It is only a recommendation, they're not saying it won't work.

Rayvolution
Heroic Explorer

TwoHedWlf said:

So, you're happy with the performance you're getting with less than the recommended specs...Good for you?  It is only a recommendation, they're not saying it won't work.

I never said that, or implied I was upset. Why the defensive attitude?

It's kind of funny if it's my CPU causing it to flag, since my i7-2600k is actually faster than the i5-4590 they list as the minimum requirements.

As I said though, everything works great. I'm just wondering if anyone else is getting the same notification while using a PC that's obviously above the system requirements.

ColinB
Adventurer
Great post there, Rayvolution.
And thanks for posting.
Probably Oculus are more concerned about specs for legal reasons.
Glad to see you weren't fooled again and tried first.

lordvtp
Protege
This is the problem with using a flat reference for these chips intended (or not in any case) to be OC'd.  The heart of the issue is not general performance of the chip (I can assure folks, they are no slouch at or above 5ghz) but the lack of certain features such as AVX 2 hardware.... that and allot of early sandy bridge hardware had very spotty USB3 support.