cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMD FSR and VR, just wow

ohgrant
Superstar

As I'm sure most know that AMD has made their version of DLSS open source and even works on NVidia cards.  There are many youtube videos about how to mod individual games and who would benefit most.

There is also a Steam app that you can run in the background called Lossless scaling, that I confirmed does work in VR. Only two games I had a chance to try it out on were. Fallout 4 VR, my PC usually handles this game very nicely but the fans would certainly rev up. With FSR the GPU fans stay close to idle on that one. The other was Doom FSR. Just wow on that one, seemed to have a 100% increase in performance and looked wonderful.  AMD FSR and Lossless scaling app has postponed any immediate GPU upgrade plans here     

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.
15 REPLIES 15

I'll try this out next time I dive into Fallout, thanks ohgrant.

FSR has been talked about on the Flight Sim forum but as yet Asobo isn't listed as one of the studios confirmed to be adopting it as far as I know. Hopefully we'll get more news on it soon. All these techniques (like DLSS) are clever stuff, and particularly good for demanding VR.

ohgrant
Superstar

I had a go at getting it to work in MS flight sim.  I got to the main menu and noticed the difference, but my cursor was restricted to a little box and I couldn't go any further. Actually had to hard boot to get out of it.  It may have something to do with some cursor options that are checked by default. 

Metal of Honor A&B, I was playing that under scaling it to 86% for my G2 but I can now play it at 100% looks much better and now plays as smooth as a twenty year old game. 

I've noticed Lossless Scaling is very beta-ish. Need to launch it before Steam VR is launched or Steam VR is going to want to launch immersive screen mode. I've had to restart both Lossless scaling and Steam VR after every successful use. Still brilliant for what it does IMO.  Very easy to use Launch Lossless Scaling, make sure to change "Scale Type" from integer to AMD FSR, run the app in windowed mode, most are anyway. and click that "scale in 5 sec" button. 

Lossless Scaling.PNG

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

Thanks ohgrant, I have the MS install of Flight Sim so I'll keep an eye out for news of native FSR in the sim which would probable be more robust. I'll add a comment next time I visit the fs forum too.

Anonymous
Not applicable

A few of my fellow flight sim enthusiasts have been playing around with this and seem to like it.

I myself have not checked it out yet.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Amazing news! I bought Fallout VR, but have yet to played. Can't wait to try this out 😁

ohgrant
Superstar

Had the day off yesterday and had a time to mess with it a bit more. It had an update to ver 1.5.1, without warning, just shut down and updated. Easy to tell when it's not working once you have things where you want them. I'm pleased to find that the added headroom that FSR gives, makes it possible to super sample much higher than I usually would. 

I tried the old Flyinside Fight Sim X mod and had the same issue as I originally did with the new MS fight Sim, mouse restricted to where I couldn't click on "Fly Now" I was able to launch it OK with the shortcut F key.

I also got it to work on the new MS flight sim and finally got to try my first training session since I bought the game last November. Using the shortcut ctrl+alt+s and timing seems to be the key.

Most of my tinkering has been done with the G2, but I also tried it with Quest 2 and link cable with Aircar, since Aircar has SS other advanced graphics settings. Just as with the G2 and Steam games, I was able to push Aircar far beyond anything I was able too without FSR, and seen it like I've never seen it before on an Oculus HMD. 

Not just something I'm going to use only on the few games that the G2 struggles with at 100% res. Big game changer here. 

Edit to add: Star Wars Squadrons greatly improved with FSR and the G2 at default res with room to grow.  

Neocaron
Explorer

Hi, would you mind sharing a little step by step for VR games, I tried using it on Beat Saber and the Steam Home, but I couldn't make it work. I'm a bit lost on what window I should be targetting with lossless scaling, when I should do it and from where.

Cheers!

ohgrant
Superstar

I don't have Beat Saber to try that one out, but there are detailed step by step instructions if you click the "Read me" button.  Make sure the game is launching in windowed mode, once in windowed mode, you should see the desktop app toggle to full screen when you invoke FSR with the button or CTRL+ALT+S shortcut. 

Neocaron
Explorer

Thanks for your reply, I did try to follow your instructions, but scaling the windowed app doesn't seem to do anything inside the headset, it only apply FSR on my Monitor. I also tried to apply FSR to the VR view, but I got a white screen on my tv and no changes inside my Oculus Quest. I'm probably missing an important step somewhere. Should my monitor be at the same resolution as my Quest? Or maybe same framerate? Should I leave the render scale in steam vr to 100% or drop it? Thank you again for your help.