cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I going to have a problem...

vonFelty
Honored Guest
Am I going to have a problem if my main monitor only does 60Hz?

I've been reading all the work arounds for DK2 things and it seems that setting your main monitor to 75Hz. Mine can't do that. Do I need to unplug it when using the rift and set the rift to main monitor. How feasible is that?
6 REPLIES 6

ThreeEyes
Explorer
Not from having your monitor only run 60 Hz.

It all depends on the display mode you have to use. Things like Titans of Space run at 75 Hz no problem on my system and I have a 60 Hz main display.

Maybe you should see if you are going to have a problem before you ask people if you will. Or even read all the posts here and elsewhere on this very topic.
But... but... but... I just NEED to know about the Baba! The Baba has me hypmotized! :shock:

shim2
Adventurer
May be a stupid question, but why does the rift need to have the monitor on to work?

vonFelty
Honored Guest
"ThreeEyes" wrote:

It all depends on the display mode you have to use. Things like Titans of Space run at 75 Hz no problem on my system and I have a 60 Hz main display.

Maybe you should see if you are going to have a problem before you ask people if you will. Or even read all the posts here and elsewhere on this very topic.

Right, but the posts in that I have read that say in order to fix juddering in demos is to force your monitor to run at 75 Hz as well. Which I can't do. So that is why I asked.

amenconi
Honored Guest
"vonFelty" wrote:
"ThreeEyes" wrote:

Right, but the posts in that I have read that say in order to fix juddering in demos is to force your monitor to run at 75 Hz as well. Which I can't do. So that is why I asked.

My main monitor only does 60hz as well. It's been a problem for some demos, but other seem to work great. Unfortunately you'll likely just have to test it one by one.

ThreeEyes
Explorer
Fair enough. Where I think you run into the problem is with apps that run in extended mode where your Rift isn't the primary display. I think under extended mode, they have to match and they match the primary. Hopefully someone will correct that if it is wrong, but some get around it by making the Rift the primary (but that puts menus and such in the Rift which then is difficult because of the full image across two separate eyes), or one person found where you can sometimes reduce resolution to the point that a 60 Hz monitor actually will hit 75 Hz.

So the answer is yes and no. In direct mode I get 75 all the time. In extended I am pretty sure I always see 60 Hz but that's not all that bad. It just smears and judders a bit and apps will get updated. Just don't know exactly when. Whatever problems there are now will eventually go away as devs update and move to direct mode.
But... but... but... I just NEED to know about the Baba! The Baba has me hypmotized! :shock:

andrewtek
Expert Protege
When I saw the topic title; first thought:
If you french fry when you should pizza, you're going to have a bad time.