cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ancient Olympia digitally restored.

VR/AR is beginning to excite me all over again!

Microsoft are working with the Greek government to digitally preserve ancient Olympia. It looks like it'll be available to experience in AR at the sites themselves and in VR remotely.

_121498288_olympia_common-grounds_09.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-59219079 

I think this'll be one of many examples of historic sites to be recreated in the future and made available in AR/VR. Games are great fun but until the next Fallout VR arrives, this stuff is what's getting me excited and it's the kind of thing that'll probably fit well within a metaverse environment. Time travel is getting real, well, virtually!

6 REPLIES 6

Nekto2
Superstar

> this stuff is what's getting me excited and it's the kind of thing that'll probably fit well within a metaverse environment. 

I think it would be great for education!

Absolutely.

I'm sure they'll at least add simple signage or pre-recorded info within programmed tours.

But really anything's possible... real tour guides represented by avatars answering your questions. Having this available in a classroom where a tutor can walk the kids round would be pretty magical.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Btw, although simple, the Baalbek Reborn: Temples is quite awesome too - and it's free:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/3096742060417405?ranking_trace=1943584525923090_309674206041...

I guess Olympia might be a lot better, but I greatly enjoyed visiting the Baalbek temples - thinking back, kinda feels like I was there ... for real, lol. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

I remember a post about that a while back, it was probably you @RuneSR2 

This kind of stuff pushes my buttons and I hope devs, governments or educational institutions see the possibilities and produce a lot of this in the future. Historical events as well as places, like the 1943 Berlin Blitz the BBC did.

Rome Reborn has some locations available on Steam but I haven't purchased any, the graphics didn't look super immersive but I may be wrong.

The metaverse thing that MS seem to be angling it towards could add a dimension in terms of interaction and instructive tours.

> I'm sure they'll at least add simple signage or pre-recorded info within programmed tours.

Good point.

It also bring a thought.... Would be cool to have a feature so we could add overlay info/audio guide/tour after experience is released without developer! And some sort of multiplayer (the way we could sync video playback for a group of people).

So a teacher could bring a class to this experience same time even if it was not supposed to be multiplayer. Some sort to sync players coordinates and (may be) to make a screenshot so teacher will see what are you looking at. And then teacher could send some overlay additional material to all students.

I don't know what MS have in store for this but my understanding is that if this was a 'World' within Horizon, even if you or a tutor wasn't a designated collaborator, there would be nothing stopping you from taking people on a tour.

I don't yet have any experience of Horizon Worlds so I don't know if you can specify who is visible and invisible to you. If this is something yo can control, then a tutor could make pupils visible and everyone else not and have a session without distractions or interruptions from anyone else.

It would be good if the 'World's' creator could invite qualified tour guides to be on hand, maybe having tours at specific times, just like real life.