Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BREAKING - Quest 2 Video Revealled!

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Edit by mod.
Vid temporarily removed.

Just spoken with @Techy111 - and he agrees that as the video(s) are now all over the web, it can go back up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4EPMxJiJRQ&feature=share

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JTgq3uoQBE&feature=share
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
412 REPLIES 412

I like using the Q1 A LOT for casual media viewing... Netflix, Prime, YouTube, iPlayer and NAS movie viewing in bed... or on the sofa, and the Elite strap would be uncomfortable for that I think.

If the headset's a bit lighter than Q1 then it's probably a little bit more comfortable anyway and that would be good enough for my short(ish) untethered VR sessions.

If it replaces my Rift-S as a PCVR headset then I'd have to decide if the Elite strap added to comfort for long sessions but its battery would be a bit of a wasted resource for me just being used for weight balance. And I'd have to keep changing between Elite and cloth strap depending on use. 

Anyway, I guess I'm saying it's good the the strap is an option, not a bundled cost as I'll probably not get one until I decided I wanted it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyway, I guess I'm saying it's good the the strap is an option, not a bundled cost as I'll probably not get one until I decided I wanted it.

While I understand the option if it was in reason.. this does open them up to situations where it can be self created or a reason for them NOT to improve the base model. For example, Quest 3 could only  have an hour and half of battery life. This could be do to either them not wanting to improve the battery storage or just them using more power because it require it. While they could improve the battery storage - they instead see a bit more value you in getting the next battery Elite strap instead.

At least it opens the door up to situations like this... and we wont know if its because they choose not to or because they want to push the cost to the customer for more profit. As customers it look like we're winning only spending 300 for te base model - but we're actually loosing because we will have a need to upgrade for something that we shouldn't really be paying extra for.

As I've said before, I think Oculus/Facebook will, for the foreseeable future, produce the best headset that they can at the £400 price point as that seems to be the sweet spot for them. The Q2 256 seems to be exactly that. Different people have different needs and the accessories seem to cover those options. Seems to me they did ok with this headset.

I'm betting we'll be having the same conversation about whatever they manage to do for a £400 Q3 in 2 years time.

Anonymous
Not applicable

As I've said before, I think Oculus/Facebook will, for the foreseeable future, produce the best headset that they can at the £400 price point as that seems to be the sweet spot for them. The Q2 256 seems to be exactly that. Different people have different needs and the accessories seem to cover those options. Seems to me they did ok with this headset.

I'm betting we'll be having the same conversation about whatever they manage to do for a £400 Q3 in 2 years time.

2022 or 2023? Quest single units will have to play the race game just a bit. We're going to see shorter live spans going forward. 1 or 1.5 year jumps - more depending on the SoC release than anything. We might - but it be more of a "told you so" I feel like xD Like now. I could 100% say, Told you so everyone here:D 

Also you kind of disproven your self... if it was the best headset they could make for under $400 - why didn't they include over the ear headphones or a optional two strap design or even a longer cable for Oculus Link? "Best VR headset they can make" is a bit open to more than one interpretation is it not? 

-------------------
I love how everyone agree with Zen and Snowdog that they would'nt go away from a PC-Only-Headset - that the Link wasn't good enough etc and they drop that hard:) While I am over here saying they be moving to a Quest like design going forward XD Now they did - everyone just accepting it now and looking for the good points to make their ground/stand again:))

Nimarus
Protege
All the improvements are worthless to me if they demand I create a Facebook account. It could be even better than the Valve Index AND be half the price and I'd still refuse to buy it.

Mradr said:

2022 or 2023? Quest single units will have to play the race game just a bit. We're going to see shorter live spans going forward. 1 or 1.5 year jumps - more depending on the SoC release than anything. We might - but it be more of a "told you so" I feel like xD Like now. I could 100% say, Told you so everyone here:D 

Also you kind of disproven your self... if it was the best headset they could make for under $400 - why didn't they include over the ear headphones or a optional two strap design or even a longer cable for Oculus Link? "Best VR headset they can make" is a bit open to more than one interpretation is it not? 

I love how everyone agree with Zen that they would'nt go away from a PC-Only-Headset - and they drop that hard:) While I am over here saying they be moving to a Quest like design going forward XD Now they did - everyone just accepting it:))

How do you mean disproven? We can discuss for ever what individual items could have been included or altered but that doesn't change anything.

The bottom line is all decisions have been made based on feedback and judgement of how people have use the original Quest, including what type of headphones were most often used and whether the supplied cable was used for charging of plugged in during use.

There are going to be people who use their headset differently and want different individual design decisions made but the design process (irrespective of the complexity of the actual design) is fairly simple , they use feedback and data to change what they think needs to be changed and balance everything within a target price.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mradr said:

I love how everyone agree with Zen that they would'nt go away from a PC-Only-Headset - and they drop that hard:) While I am over here saying they be moving to a Quest like design going forward XD Now they did - everyone just accepting it:))

How do you mean disproven? We can discuss for ever what individual items could have been included or altered but that doesn't change anything.

The bottom line is all decisions have been made based on feedback and judgement of how people have use the original Quest, including what type of headphones were most often used and whether the supplied cable was used for charging of plugged in during use.

BS everyone will tell you that the over the ear head phones were better ~ "I love my CV1 for this reason" - "Rift S sounds better" etc etc dont even go there 😛 Feedback wasn't taken at all - it was all base around price and what they could cut to lower the price base around what people at base level needed to use the headset. Everyone here jump my ass about the head strap alone used on the Rift S when I brought up the price issue with it. If feedback was taken - they would've not went with the basic strap - they would've went with something in between like we saw with the Elite Strap.

SAD truth - I was the one that brought up they could use the basic strap to lower the price as it was good enough for basic use as the base model like Q2GO. But I was using that as a really basic getting started with VR - not as their flag ship model.

"Best VR headset they can make" is a bit open to more than one interpretation is it not? <--- 100% you are defending Facebooks choices around what you think is "best headset" with being a bit bias siding with Facebooks decisions. 

Mradr said:

Mradr said:

BS everyone will tell you that the over the ear head phones were better ~ 

How many people used them on the Quest?
I have them but never used them.

Edit: plus you're ignoring some of what I said... it's not about including everything that everybody thinks is the best... it's about balancing what can and should be included based on data and cost... don't forget the cost.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mradr said:

Mradr said:

BS everyone will tell you that the over the ear head phones were better ~ 

How many people used them on the Quest?
I have them but never used them.

Edit: plus you're ignoring some of what I said... it's not about including everything that everybody thinks is the best... it's about balancing what can and should be included based on data and cost... don't forget the cost.

I didn't forget about the cost/price its been kind of my whole problem with FB recently that everyone thinks I am a bit crazy for/about:)

Look - if the device came with it - people would've used it more or at least had a taste to say they want them. This goes back to the whole you wouldn't know what you are missing until you had it problem.  "Also, not really. At the end of the day - you would've not known the difference." as I said to Nalex. Anyone that did how ever did like them. I did. I was sad to see them go when I got my Quest. Again - they didn't take feedback from everyone - what feedback they did take was that it was good enough for Quest on the go move because it was consider "ok" for the use case it was presented for - this model is going to be their flag ship for the most part going forward. It kind of needs to be that. Witch is why I keep hearing stuff about some type of pro model ~ dont know what that is.

Also I am hope I am not ignoring what you said? It takes me a little time to write everything out. 

Mradr said:

I didn't:) 

Well, Ok, maybe it's easier if you just list what you'd improve with the Quest 2 and what you'd take out to balance the cost of those improvements.

Facebook can then add that data to what they have  😉